What's your opinion on players than use rotation addons

Hey, just like in the title. What is your opinion on players that are using rotation helpers such as hekili ? I was using this addon at the start of the exp and for some time now I just use wa to track my skills. But i was curious about your thoughts on it. Is it bad to use those kind of addons ? Are players looked down upon for using them ?

1 Like

I don’t think most players look down on such addons, but to me, I don’t really see the point. I don’t even use weakauras. If the game were to tell me what ability to use or shout at me that something came off cooldown and I should use it again, am I really the one playing the game at that point.

Also there is the stance that rotation helpers and similar addons just makes Blizzard create harder, more complicated encounters, which just ends up making the game harder for those who do not wish to use such tools.

1 Like

Personally… i dont care…
A better player will always do better than the guy that uses rotation helper to tell them what to press…

The only worry i have is that most people that use these addons never move past them, but thats their problem i guess.

I think the way the vast majority of people use WAs, is just having what you can already see on your action bars shown in a more pleasing way.

So yes, I’d say they 100% still play themselves :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I don’t care what people are using. Essentially it is accessibility.

I use Hekilli and I have put my rotation below my character and it saves me looking at the spell interface and so much better… I have my own rotation but nice to look at my character and see what I can use, rather than looking at my action bar.

If people need a crutch, out of laziness or necessity, then so be it.
In both cases, however, they’ll never win a marathon.

People that uses rotational addons are people who are more braindead then a rotten egg, first off rotational addons just dont work. They cannot see how the situation is in a m+ dungeon or pvp or raids.

Yes, they suck at making you do damage.

When I checked it out on my priest I lost like 60k dps back as shadow by strictly following it. Lots of bad calls in it.

I wouldn’t look down on anyone using addons/WA. As someone who once upon a time didn’t use any to now dabbling in WA/dps meter/dbm, I feel I have learned to play my classes better. This is highly dependent on my partner who helped me understand it all. But all that said, if used without reflection on what you are actually doing I don’t believe it will benefit you.

Then there is the visual cue sides of addons/WA that help my focus. The user interface as is isn’t very helpful to me personally. And when it comes to taking advantage of ability perks (for the next x attacks/seconds/etc, ability y and z will do this/cause that/interact with this ability), WA’s is a big help to know when to renew certain effects, or when to use an ability for extra oomph.

Example: BM hunter’s… Frenzy? From Barbed Shot. (Haven’t played BM really since very early SL, so I am not sure is it still the same? xD). I had a WA that told me when it’s about to drop so I could renew it. An icon started bouncing in my field of view. I had it for ages (until I switched from hdd to ssd and reinstalled WoW), but initially my partner made it for me since I didn’t even understand the benefit of it back then. But thanks to that and reading about it I learned.

Ultimately, if using addons improves your gameplay, makes it more fun, then go nuts. Why not eh? :slight_smile:

It is more an intial helper when you start a new spec. To understand the basics. And after that you start actually playing since obviously an addon can’t understand situations.

1 Like

The biggest flaw with this train of thought is that WoW is balanced around having certain addons installed. Ion tackled this in an interview at some point, where he pointed out how much better addons have become at monitoring and predicting abilities and mechanics, and how encounter designers are in a constant race to create mechanics that provide a challenge to people who use those addons.
This means that people who do not use certain addons will have a much harder time playing the game, as they will not have access to the same clarity of information as addon users will have.

Think of it like a Bethesda game if you will. Bethesda has released every game since Morrowind with the mindset of “the modding community will fix it”, and they’ve been successful to a point where the first thing after installing a Bethesda game is to hit up a modding site and download all the necessary mods to make the game work.
Similarly, when Blizzard designs content they will take addons into account. There is no great honour in not using addons because they are a core part of the game’s design.

That being said, Hekili is nice if you are new to a spec or have a lot of alts that you don’t play very well. Once you have a basic grasp on how to execute your rotation Hekili will not provide any benefit, and once you are decent at playing the spec Hekili will even decrease your DPS. It will not elevate your gameplay to 99th percentile parses out of the blue, but it will give you a basic understanding of how to execute your rotation. It’s more interactive than reading a guide.
Personally, I’ve tried it once, didn’t get much benefit out of it and then uninstalled. If you want to use it go ahead, but don’t expect it to perform any miracles.

It’s not about honor, just about bloatware. I don’t want to use addons I don’t feel that I need.

I couldn’t care less what addons other players use as long as they don’t break any rules.

3 Likes

Rotation addons are essentially trap because they work well only on target dummy. Reason is that they see the situation in the moment and can’t do the forecasting job of player, which often makes or breaks their throughput

rotation addons are useful when you learn class.
After that you just turn it off

2 Likes

I do not care, as long as it helps you, you should not worry about it.

Also, do not forget, some classes have quite complicated rotation, even though they might 2-3 buttons in general to click.

That being said, if it helps use, if not, then learn.

1 Like

Its training wheels, good for players to get a sense of what they’re doing but in the end being reactive is significantly less efficient than being proactive and so much of your classes potential involves doing things hekili won’t suggest because it doesn’t have access to the information to make nuanced decisions.

Its not bad to use things like this if you’re learning a new class / managing alts and such. Hekili is fine as long as you understand its limitations and recognise when it is time to try to outgrow it. What does annoy me with things like hekili is people assuming now that if they’re following it that they’re playing at an optimal level or people who recommend it to players as some sort of catch all solution for anyone’s DPS issues.

It’s a useful tool for starting out, but if your goal is to continue to improve and gradually push more difficult content then outgrow it as soon as you’re able.

3 Likes

I personally feel Blizzard should add a talent to the Discipline Priest that makes all your damage spells (Smite etc) target the target of your ally when you case it rather then forcing you to use macros and add-ons.

I think add-ons are great but they really should be features in the game. Healbot is one that I love because it allows you to program spells to a click of a button, meaning less fumbling for somebody like me with Dyspraxia.

To each their own, I guess.
I don’t use them nor Weak Auras. But I’m not doing high end content. Also I really only play this character most of the time, my alts mainly just do old content for mogs and mounts.

I don’t imagine that it improves enjoyment in the game, is it fun to just press that AddOn selection? meh.

It’s necessary for a lot of people because the rotations are overly complex. I did it once myself in a mythic raid back in WoD. Worked alright, helped me get into PvE. Not the best way of playing, so when I was able to take the training wheels off, I did.

I’d rather these addons weren’t necessary, but they serve a purpose in the game Blizzard has given us.

1 Like