When classic comes

What happens to what little rp we have when classic comes around? Will Moonglade die out? Earthen Ring is already on life support and Moonglade is just getting by. AD is AD but I don’t really like it there, but I worry for Moonglade.

I know I will be going nostalgic a bit myself and have fun but I don’t want to entirely give Sil up, for example. Unless everything RP moves to classic that is. One could of course recreate the Shadow Sentinels there as an example.

What will people here do?

2 Likes

I see absolutely no reason to RP on Classic. Current game has everything Classic has to offer for RP, and more. And transmog. And it’s much easier to get to max level to be able to RP anywhere you want. Classic has zero advantages over current game when it comes to RP.

2 Likes

It has the pre-cataclysm zones etc? I miss old Darkshore without having to do the timewarp. [insert rocky horror picture show song]

3 Likes

I have limited (conscious) knowledge of both Classic and myself, but I imagine I might do some Classic just for a taste. I still think “current” WoW will be my main WoWage, though. There’s still A LOT I haven’t done in BfA, and Legion, and even older expansions. I kind of miss secondary weapons, and weapon skills, but not enough to make Classic my primary game, I think.

3 Likes

And how often do we go to the places changed by Cataclysm? And even if you do, those events did happen and the world is changed. If you want to RP in the past… sure, go do Classic for an event or two. But for every day it’s pretty inconsequential.

2 Likes

Before cataclysm I used to log Sil out in the Shrine of Aessina. Moon’s Rise was in Darkshore. Had several guild things happen there. Much nelfy stuff happening in Darnassus as well. Just a few personal examples.

I agree for leveling and what not it doesn’t mean a thing. And yes, for those that don’t wanna live in the past but want to follow the story as Blizzard takes it, then it doesn’t matter either. I am neither for nor against, I will probably end up doing a bit of both. But I’m interested in what the rest thinks and does, because some do have quite an impact on our small rp community in both being around and also what they do and don’t do.

3 Likes

Nope, I won’t play Classic. I know of at least one person in my guild who wants to play it, but they’ve said nothing about moving over there, RP and all, and stop playing “normal” WoW.
I think there might be a dip when it’s released and some people spend more time there, like with any big game release, but I personally don’t think it’ll be the end. To be honest it didn’t even cross my mind until this thread…
But with that said, I don’t know.

It’s not just the zones changing, it’s the gear available (and no transmogs), graphics, character models, playstyle, game mechanics, classes… everything. I’d miss a lot of stuff I like in roleplay going back there that I’ve gotten used to over the years.

Edit: Not to mention some very popular races will be missing…

4 Likes

While I’m sure a lot of people will play Classic and I’ll give it a shot as well, it won’t be for the RP. We’re talking about a time with far less customization, none of the modern convenience options and while Vanilla has a fair few advantages over current WoW in story, such as factions and a setting that make coherent sense, it’s also got a lot less zones and worse graphics, which are less than ideal for RP.

3 Likes

I won’t be touching Classic. While it’s somewhat tempting (because I absolutely despise BFA’s story), retail has insane quality of life upgrades, tons of beautiful zones and plenty of transmog. Not to mention my guilds are here!

…And Blood Elves. How could I possibly play a version of WoW that doesn’t have Blood Elves?

2 Likes

It is a good question. It is hard to predict. I imagine, that, out of those, that will be playing Classic as their “main game”, the majority are people that have not touched World of Warcraft in years. It´s just a guess, of course.

Each to their own :slight_smile: But I will be playing Classic though. I mean…

You cannot hear me in this video, but I was screaming with excitement, and goose bumbs shimmered across my skin, when i saw it!
You bet, I will be playing Classic. Oh, Darnassus roleplay, here I come. :cherry_blossom:

5 Likes

I really like the many views people share, for and against or in between. And I really like how forthcoming you guys are in sharing. Moonglade really is special <3

As for graphics, did I misunderstand something? I thought they would roll with the updated graphics. Could well just be me missing something, there’s lots of fine print I haven’t read.

2 Likes

Graphic settings will be updated, but the models and textures will of course be the old ones, or it would hardly be vanila.

2 Likes

Some of my RL friends are really hyped about Classic, but personally I’ve lost interest. It’s arriving a couple of years too late for me. I might slowly level up a char, just for the nostalgia’s sake, but I can’t be bothered with any end-game stuff and I don’t really find RPing there very appealing either.

2 Likes

I’m sure I’ll give Classic a try, but I doubt I’ll main a character there. Both RP and gameplay-wise, heck even story-wise, it doesn’t have anything to offer to me over the current expansion. The character models alone are a reason not to want to go back, I waited forever for that HD update. Also, the memory of Classic is still too fresh in my head, I levelled enough alts in it through Vanilla-Wrath that just watching Jesse Cox play the PTR for ten minutes was enough for me to relive the whole thing.

I was there, Gandalf, 3000 years ago…

4 Likes

I don’t think there is much to worry about.
First of all, there is quite a lot of RP going around on Moonglade at the moment. Several guilds and enthusiasts are hosting events on both alliance and horde side, with some events being for both sides even.
There’s botany nights, ancestral honorings, expeditions across Azeroth and we’ve even seen a return of the good old Moonrise.

With the exception of the Elixir of Tongues, the game mechanics doesn’t really affect RP that much.
The bottom line is still that RP happens where you RP. :slight_smile:

xoxo
//Kitten

P.S. Sunday Juli 7 is the first sunday of July. See you outside the Stowmwind wall, overlooking the Lions rest, just before 21:00 CET? :slight_smile: D.S.

5 Likes

I think the more apparent thing in this thread is that there are quite a few Nelf players who are frustrated with the loss of basically every Night Elf zone. :confused:

Personally, I will be treating Classic like an alt-universe. I don’t know the server structure they’ll go with on there but I’m not even certain there will be dedicated RP servers. I will level a version of Cherwina where she hadn’t chosen to join the Circle once females were allowed and instead stayed a priestess but I’m in no hurry. I’ve got 12 characters on this server I RP and I’m not recreating that elsewhere :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I think Cherwina is right about the Nelves longing for some of their favourite zones back, either for RP or general nostalgia. Paradoxical in a way that the slow-disappearance-of-the-elves-theme makes those story lines both attractive, frustrating and the ultimate reason for the nostalgia. Did I mention my main is a dwarf :wink:
Back on the question, I am having such a blast with all the RP on SGC at the moment, both event/guild related and I daresay uncommonly with wonderful sprinklings of walked-up (tips his hat to Gordon) that I would have to be pursuaded by a lot of RP on Classic to consider it.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.