Where do I report World Lag?

I too have terrible lag, only started after 8.1, it makes playing very unenjoyable. Disabled all addons checked traceroute etc everything fine, so it has to be server side.

5 Likes

Tracert and pathping done. I was ingame in the meantime, soloquesting in Tiragarde Freehold area with warmode off (there were no assaults/events in Tiragarde going on). I saw 1 other player but there was at least 500ms lag to all actions, while home/world ping was 49/50ms. Disconnected once during the parrot bombing quest.

Seems i can’t post it preformatted in here because it contains links so maybe pastebin? Not working either, breaking the address down…
https pastebin . com / pENJNxUQ

2 Likes

I know what the OP means and it has nothing to do with connection and latency.

I recently changed ISP’s and upped my BB connection speeds hoping this might resolve the ‘lag’ problem that my partner and I regularly experience. No joy.

The latency is fine at 19/21 ms, tracert shows nothing unusual.

I have got to know the tech guys at my ISP and discussed these issues, which they were already fully aware of and were adamant that they were not client or internet related but most likely server/software related.

I have given up hope on a fix any time soon.

6 Likes

LMAO!!! Have you played the game at all the past 4 months?

11 Likes

I’ve read a few of these over the past couple of days and while I’m happy to see I’m not the only player experiencing loot lag, ability lag, mount lag and all of the other fun and interesting forms of lag.
I am a bit hacked off that it’s been an issue since the start of BfA (most noticeably loot lag) and it is only getting worse.

I’ve seen the “It’s your end” support responses, but if that were the case, why so many different people in different countries, using different ISP’s, all with the exact same problem?
Also, it’s not just an EU realm problem, I checked the US technical support forum and guess what, they’ve got it too.

3 Likes

This is even weirder because for example I get lag in Classic zones. I just started recently playing and everything was fine until recently my mount would not show up, later skills would work with delays or not work properly at all. Sometimes got delays when talking to NPCs. Now I am doing Pathping and Trace just to make sure it really isn’t on my end but I doubt it as I play other online games without issues like Squad, DayZ and latency shows around 46m/s both home and world…

Was playing now for 2 hours with very little lag until went to Burning Steppes (Turalyon EU Realm). Got stuck on shop screen with grayed out items and had huge delays in fights, looting and of course dying. Probably dead now as I logged out…

2 Likes

The following things can cause reaction lag:

a) network latency / packet loss – a delay in the communication between client and server
b) client processing lag – a delay in the client, caused by getting behind with any form of processing, be that handling received data, or generating graphical updates, etc.
c) server processing lag – server receives communications without delay, but has a queue to service and gets behind servicing that queue leading to delayed responses.

So process of elimination given the vast array of comments on the issue:

a) MTRs that have been submitted by people experiencing the issue, together with in-game latency numbers suggest that the communications path is not at fault. Connections are fast generally, with no packet loss.

b) possibility that the new engine is straining some computers - points for this argument, occasional view that DX11 suffers less than DX12, some people have said that clearing certain cache folders alleviates the problem for an hour or two – points against, very many people with a variety of hardware experience the issue (still could be a general issue)

c) points in favour – player population overwhelmingly occupying a few zones, rather than spread out over the world, many people experiencing the issue simultaneously despite heterogenous hardware/software/locality – points against, Blizzard say there isn’t an issue and possibilities of b).

3 Likes

It can’t be fixed by better tech or server coding, it needs to be tackled by content designers in the future by not encouraging mass brawls and/or somehow reducing instruction calls but without simplifying classes too much.

People these days go for maximum attacks per minute which when combined with all the passive effects which need to be shared across clients leads to a massive instruction count and thus lag.

3 Likes

I just did the world quests on Darkshore on my paladin. The lag was so bad that sometimes I had to use multiple abilties, otherwise I didn’t generate any holy power points. I have a ping of 33 (and even a lag-game like PUBG runs smoothly).

3 Likes

It wasn’t this bad in Legion, though. Not even in Argus, which of course was the focal point of Legion for almost 12 months.

Something happened when they launched BFA, and my guess is that it has to do with War Mode and sharding, but I have no idea.

At the US forums they’ve admitted that something is seriously wrong with the game (you hear that @Hagut? :roll_eyes:), https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/ability-loot-lag-on-oceanic-servers-despite-normal-latency/16791/1802

6 Likes

Right, so that’s official confirmation that there is a serious server lag issue then, that they are having to develop a major fix for. So it must be a fundamental problem to some aspect of the game.

2 Likes

From US WOW Forums

[Drakuloth]
[Customer Support]

Hey again folks,

The feedback has been forwarded back to development. Thanks for getting that confirmation for us. I’m glad some of you are seeing some improvement.

We still don’t consider the issue resolved, and we’re making incremental improvements as time goes on. There’s a long term fix in the works but it’s pretty major and will take some time to get together. Once we get an ETA on that or hear that it’s gone in, one of us will let you know.

As always, you’re welcome to continue reporting the issues on this thread. We’re still watching.

I don’t understand how US said this 7 days ago, yet Hagut say’s there is no issue.

Why are you trying to sweep this under the carpet? Fix the game! REEE

5 Likes

I’m guessing it first appeared on US servers and they released some patch there maybe after which they thought everything was fixed but now it’s everywhere. I recently got little patch downloaded on launcher but still after 1 hour game started to lag like before. All I can think of is not to play until they fix it if not, bye WoW :frowning:

2 Likes

Probably shouldn’t ask people to put pathpings and tracerts in public forums. Both logs contain internet protocols (IP) that fall under ‘personal data’ according to the European General Data Regulation Protection (GDPR). As such, it is your responsibility to keep it safe - something that is difficult to do when you ask your clients to post it in a public forum.

3 Likes

I keep being concerned about that, the MSInfo reports give out a lot of potentially sensitive data too, should never be posted to public forums.

2 Likes

Nothing in a regular traceroute should be identifiable as personal data, your public IP isn’t listed on a traceroute or pathping. The reverse traceroute you can take via Looking Glass (which traces from Blizzard to you) does contain your IP but I’ve never seen them ask people to post that. IPs of other nodes wouldn’t fall under personal data for GDPR purposes.

2 Likes

Err, unless you are running the traceroute or pathping from somewhere else, the first hop is your machine, the second will be your gateway, dependent on how your home connection is provided. If using a static IP, rather than NAT, it’ll be the first hop that is your public IP.

2 Likes

I think in all the years I’ve posted on the forum I’ve only seen one person who had their public IP listed and who knows how their network was configured.
But if it’s against the GDPR then that’s a problem for Blizzard as a whole, support are just being asked to request information :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

The ISP gateway is location data and will tell you in what vicinity that I reside. That, combined with my name, is obviously personal data.

2 Likes

The patch previous to the 21.12 patch, made it better.

The 21.12 patch made it worse again.

This is clearly a serverside related issue.
Or maybe… maybe a DX12 client side issue.
But you’d have to see input lag everywhere and not just in 3 places like pretty much everyone reports. (kul tiras islands essentially)

Still either way it explains the “requires a mayor patch” comment… sounds really sloppy though if this wasnt picked up right away before implementing 8.1… sounds almost like a spiteful action because people didnt respond too well after the blizzcon fail.

2 Likes