Where do we draw the line?

This is a curiosity thread if anything, with the accepting of boosts with many people on the forums, I would like to know where we’ll be drawing the line in terms micro/macro transactions in TBC and the restrictions placed and whether these restrictions will be alleviated in the future. What services are we drawing the line on in terms of not accepting? If the level boost doesn’t affect the gameplay of others in an mmorpg then many of the services in retail could easily be copied over to TBC. Do many of you believe that the restriction will be just one per account forever with no other additions? Once that’s removed what’s next? People will be rolling flavour of the month specs/classes, Blizzard will see the success of the boost. What comes after?

Do people draw the line at the wow token? What if you could only purchase a token ‘once’ per day or week, will that justify it’s place in TBC? What if we introduced faction swaps? Is that perfectly fine? I mean we have the boost already why not toss in a few name changes. Genuinely once these boosts make it into the game which at this point they most definitely will, how far are you going to accept the services placed before you realise enough is enough? Will you accept them all? Will store mounts be placed in TBC? If all the other services make it in you can definitely bet blizzard will slide something after all it’s easy $.

This isn’t a bashful thread it’s one of genuine concern with a mix of curiosity, anyone who believes nothing comes after these boosts is not a retail player that’s for sure, as someone who began their journey in late 2011. I’ve seen first hand the techniques used by blizzard, contrary to their name it’s not one big blizzard but more like a small snow storm, with each storm growing larger but not enough to make you care, i.e. they introduce these transactions incrementally but slowly enough for you to accept it and convince yourself it doesn’t affect you or the game.

As an MMO player I do always look ahead to the future not what’s just in front of me, if I don’t see something as worthwhile long-term I wont play, as mmo’s are long-term sources of gratification, if you accept these services bravo to you, but looking long-term I can’t see any point in playing TBC classic if these services trickle in, there really isn’t a point, but that’s just my personal opinion of course.

Thank you for reading /Thread

8 Likes

In my opinion, all service microtransactions should be allowed, all vanity microtransactions should remain in retail.

2 Likes

It will only get worse from here on out unless the gaming industry does a massive U-turn. Deal with it or cancel your sub, can’t do much more.

1 Like

Not bothered as long as they don’t sell anything that gives you an advantage ingame, like a token. If they did it wouldn’t make me not play TBCC.

2 Likes

I believe I saw you post pro boost alot?

The lvl 58 boost provides an advantage ingame as it saves you time to level. If you don’t buy the boost you have to level so you wont get the advantage.

10 Likes

I would agree with this except for faction change.

best races for certain aspects of the game change within factions in tbc so a race change service makes alot of sense.

1 Like

I am not a lot pro boost, maybe 60/40. I can see the argument for both sides, though some are very weak.

Yes it does, but I don’t think it’s gamebreaking. All it’s for is so you can play TBCC straight away, and it’s not free.

2 Likes

Sad thing is we have unofficial “token” in game for a year now and it gives advantage to those who buy it. Buyers are not punished, that is enough to be bothered.

1 Like

Gold selling was in TBC 2007 too. There were some spectacular ads for it, all those dead bodies in capital cities spelling out websites, that still exist today btw.

It would have to be some ungodly combination of selling BiS gear and requiring additional payment to enter top level raids or receive best loot from them, I don’t even know…
As long as I get to raid the raids with my guild one by one, finishing with KJ, I don’t much care what Blizzard sells. Unless they sell better ammo for hunters than there is in game, stronger weapons or tomes of higher level spells, it really doesn’t affect my gameplay.
I understand this probably annoys most purists, but hey, you asked. If they do Wrath afterwards, I may stick around for Algalon, or maybe even Arthas hc, but I did that when it was current, so maybe not.
After that, Blizzard may as well burn, I wouldn’t spit on them to put the fire out. I ain’t giving them another cent, other than the minimal sub untill I kill the bosses I missed in my youth.
Make of this what you will.

2 Likes

dont agree with paying for gold but you agree with paying for levels, hmmm

skipping 58 levels = time advantage I.E advantage ingame

2 Likes

Maybe he doesn’t see it as an advantage because millions of players are already starting tbcc as a level 60 + naxx gear+ millions of gold?

you can have that argument if all servers started everyone at level 1 but this is not the case

As for paying for gold, botting should never be encouraged. As for wow token its just the same as buying gold it gives you a p2w element because you can simply just join gdkp runs afk and buy all the gear with real money.

What advantage does the boost give end game over other players? That’s right nothing

1 Like

haha okay the boosting doesn’t give advantage because the majority is already level 60

are you aware of how much gold the majority has nowadays?, its ludicrous how much players are sitting on right now, in that case an ingame token wont give much advantage, thats what youre implying

I don’t mind faction change, as long as pvp server rules are not broken, so if you only have on char on pvp server you can faction change, and you can freely faction change on pve

I never said it wasn’t an advantage to skip levels but it’s not game breaking as a lot of people suggest.

That’s how I see it, it’s not an advantage against players who have already levelled. It just saves some time. After all, you still have 4-5 days
of levelling to 70 to do.

Not as many as you think there are have that much gold.

Just one cause person A bought gold in classic doesn’t mean person B buying gold in TBCC makes it right.

Token will reduce botting which is good but it won’t eliminate it as botters will just sell gold cheaper than the token.

Any form of buying gold gives you an advantage even in classic if you spent €3000 irl you can buy the best weapons in naxx it sounds alot of money and it is for most players but it’s pocket change to whales that makes the game pay to win as you don’t even need to know tactics any guild will take someone who will distribute 50k gold to the raid and let them afk

1 Like

True. Guess that would almost never affect me as i never play on pve servers

The line stops being drawn when big gaming corporations like Activision think to themselves:

“That’s as far as it goes. We’ve monetised our products quite enough. No more.”

When that happens I also expect to see Elvis descend to Earth in a rhinestone-spangled flying saucer, at the same time as me winning the lottery, the Irish sweepstakes, landing a starring role in the sequel to Raise The Titanic, and receiving a passionate love letter from Sienna Miller.

In other words there is no line. They’ll monetise anything that can be monetised and sell anything that can be sold as long as they perceive that people will buy it. The WoW community has assured them that they will continue to buy their cash shop services - even the Classic Community has been swayed by the lure of shiny boosts and pretty store mounts. It will never end.

3 Likes

Exactly this, it is their job decription.

Anything that gives an in-game advantage would mean they’ve crossed the line (for example WoW-tokens and other ‘tokens’ etc.).

I think they’ve already crossed the line with purchasable character progress, thus betraying one of the core aspects of old-school RPGs. Our task, then, is to remember this and protest if they give hints of further advantage-based MTX’s.

My predictions for future MTX’s:

• Removal of restrictions on the paid level boost
  • WoW-token
  • TCG mounts along with mount skill, and tabards in cash shop (further expanded on in WotLK)
  • Name Change
  • Race Change and Gender Change
  • Faction Change
  • Appearance Change
    …other possible ones:
  • Profession Token
  • Mount Skill Token
  • Weapon Skill Token
  • Attunement/Key Token
  • Reputation Token
  • Talent Tree reset Token
  • Bags and extra bag space