Where to go from here?

Hello,
I find this forum a life line for people who don’t keep in the loop with tech so thanks in advance for help.

Proccesor: i5 2500k
Graphics: AMD Raedon 6800
RAM 8GB
Windows 7 64 bit

I built this PC 6/7 years ago and its done brilliantly but I got the guy at the computer shop to tell me what to put in it. With a budget of £800 - £1000 where do I start?

Its purely for WoW but like everyone on here would like it at Ultra, at Fair at the min.

Thanks again.

AMD are in the middle of a new hardware generation release, so may be worth holding off a totally new rig for a while.

Based on a custom-request build, the first - preemptive strike - would be to go SSD over HDD… that can be used with newer kit when you have a better choice in a month or two (see above).

WoW is CPU heavy, so anything that is Intel 6th/7th Gen. - Core iX-6xxx or 7xxx - or newer (or AMD Ryzen 2xxx equivalent) should be your starter.
16GB RAM would be ideal; 8GB will suffice, but Windows/System will try it’s best to use 4GB, so if you can afford 16, do so.
GPU is going to be dependent on the monitor you use; 1080p & the equivalent of a 1050ti/1060 will do… once you get into 1440p, then you need to be looking at nVidia 16xx or 20xx series (or AMD equivalent)
Add to that a suitable motherboard with a B-2xx or better series chipset variant and anything else will be your ‘personal’ choices.

EDIT:
check what inputs your monitor has, if you want to keep it - most GPU outputs are favouring HDMI/DisplayPort over even DVI-D, so that may well throw a spanner in your budgeting.

1 Like

You would likely need a new system.

Is not that heavy, but yes, if you buy - a modern one is in order and the game will benefit from it.

RX 470/570 for the low-end for optimal value (those are cheap now), then GTX 1660Ti (or Vega 56 promo, discounted 64) and above that are only “overpriced” cards. Incoming Navi release and rumored Nvidia refresh/launch of something should change those prices.

My Vega 56 would be OP for 1080p… I’d class that squarely as 1440p/low-end 4K.

Early reports are showing R5-3xxx likely to start @ $200 and many 'board suppliers are said to be releasing BIOS updates to allow for 3xxx chips to work on current 'boards, but are adding that ideally a X570 'board will be needed to get ‘best use’ out of newer CPU’s.

On mode 3 or 4 most decent GPUs can handle it. For more details like mode 7 more power is needed. For WoW Classic even Vega 8 from R3 2200G can run 3440x1440 above 100 FPS on mode 4.

To ‘build now’, I’d say that Ryzen 2xxx/Intel 8xxx on a B*/X*/Z**3xx mainboard, with a GTX16xx/RX580 will give you a good 2-3yrs, yet… to let the dust settle & acquire a new budget.
*AMD/**Intel

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.