Which CPU to upgrade to?

Hi guys

I was hoping to get some advice on which CPU to upgrade to/whether to upgrade at all.

My wow comfortably runs at 120-140 fps whilst out questing, but I run into big fps drops when in raids and in cities or any heavily populated areas. After some research, I’ve learned this is CPU as opposed to a GPU issue most likely. I’ve also heard that wow runs favours good “single thread” processors.

I’ve looked into what processors my motherboard can and can’t run, and the i7-14700 seems like one of the best options for me. My current specs are:

intel i5 12400, Nvidia 3060 ti 8gb

Any suggestions would be great, thank you :slight_smile:

I personally would avoid current Intel CPU’s right now, as they tend to cook themselves to death by requesting a voltage from the motherboard thats too high due to a microcode bug.

Also, if your current CPU is a 12th gen CPU, are you absolutely sure that the mobo is suitable for a 14th gen CPU? What motherboard do you have?

I would personally wait for the Ryzen 9000x3D series, should release in the upcoming months.

Both 13th and 14th gen Intel is a scam at this point, as stated above.

When you take a look at this (DF launch) benchmark, you will see that it’s not really worth upgrading atm unless your going for AM5 which is future proof till 2027 (confirmed by AMD):

So if you want an upgrade now i would not go for anything less but a 7800X3D.
Or wait till the 9800X3D if it’s actually a noticeable gain over the 7800X3D.

1 Like