Which professions should I get?

I’d like some recommendations for endgame professions (Shadowlands / later DF) for my Survival Hunter.

• Mostly solo player
  • May do battlegrounds casually
  • Not going to be doing high-end group PVE
  • Interested in Torghast and whatever DF equivalent if any, plus other challenging (?) solo content
  • Wouldn’t mind some extra gold, but I hate playing the AH against other players

Hello,

I recommend you to use the following combinations:
Perfect for Hunter:

• Leatherworking + skinning
  • Alchemy + herbalism
    Fine for Hunter:
  • Jewelcrafting + mining
    Ok for a Hunter:
  • Blacksmithing + mining

The reason behind those:

• you can make works for players in DF HUB, and don’t need to competing the AH fippers. Players are out work orders what they want to get for their selected price. You craft and you put it, complete the work order and got your gold.
    All three (LW, JC and BS) combos are working this way, but in LW you can craft your own gear as well.

For the JC you can craft accessories and other goodies like gems, trinkets and mounts.

For the BS there is a huge demand since the plate users are still the most in the game (far as I know, in my realm Ragnaros).

Since PVPers and PVE try hards are in needs in potions so you can’t get it wrong if you pick that, but the income is greater compared to the rest in terms of time investment.

I hope this was helpful for you!

2 Likes

It is, thanks.

Rivail has given you an excellent and orthodox recommendation and explanation!

Traditionally, Hunter = Skinning + Leatherworking, precisely because you can make some gear for yourself.

I will say that this is much less compelling now than it was in the early expansions, because the usefulness of crafted gear is now less than earned gear, unless you are doing higher group content.

To make strong (say, Heroic-level) gear, you pretty much need material drops from Heroic raids. So do not rely on LW to provide you with any significant amount of gear that is stronger than you would get from World Quests at max level this expansion.

Personally, I have found crafting professions pretty much useless this expansion. They can be great if you devote attention and time to maxing them out, and doing higher content, but only a minority actually follow through with all that. For the rest of us, it’s like buying a gym membership on New Year’s. :rofl:

As Rivali said, Herbalism + Alchemy is fine for Hunter. Actually, Herbalism + Alchemy is fine for everybody, since everybody can benefit from potions and flasks.

Now I would ask the question: do you ENJOY gathering? Can you spend a pleasant hour or two every week just gathering and sightseeing? If you can, then double-gathering is an option.

Herbalism + Mining is a way to pick up pocket money while doing your rounds of world quests, without committing to the course of learning a bunch of recipes in crafting professions. Mining because several of the older ores from previous expansions still sell to make older stuff, mainly mounts. Fel iron and Ghost Iron Ore, for example, always have a market.

I wouldn’t agonise too much about the choice. Just go with what you feel. :smiley:

3 Likes

I’m glad it helped.

Rivail has given you an excellent and orthodox recommendation and explanation!

Traditionally, Hunter = Skinning + Leatherworking, precisely because you can make some gear for yourself.

I will say that this is much less compelling now than it was in the early expansions, because the usefulness of crafted gear is now less than earned gear, unless you are doing higher group content.

To make strong (say, Heroic-level) gear, you pretty much need material drops from Heroic raids. So do not rely on LW to provide you with any significant amount of gear that is stronger than you would get from World Quests at max level this expansion.

Personally, I have found crafting professions pretty much useless this expansion. They can be great if you devote attention and time to maxing them out, and doing higher content, but only a minority actually follow through with all that. For the rest of us, it’s like buying a gym membership on New Year’s. :rofl:

As Rivali said, Herbalism + Alchemy is fine for Hunter. Actually, Herbalism + Alchemy is fine for everybody, since everybody can benefit from potions and flasks.

Now I would ask the question: do you ENJOY gathering? Can you spend a pleasant hour or two every week just gathering and sightseeing? If you can, then double-gathering is an option.

Herbalism + Mining is a way to pick up pocket money while doing your rounds of world quests, without committing to the course of learning a bunch of recipes in crafting professions. Mining because several of the older ores from previous expansions still sell to make older stuff, mainly mounts. Fel iron and Ghost Iron Ore, for example, always have a market.

I wouldn’t agonise too much about the choice. Just go with what you feel. :smiley:

@Gráinne thanks for completing my post :slight_smile: :blush:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.