Why are fire Mages so Bad?

Hey, i finnished Keystonemaster a few weeks ago and im still Blasting keys with randoms and friends.

I keep inviting Fire mages 260-270gs and they peak at like 7-10k overall.
Where all Warriors, locks and co. Blast 40-100k aoe … Fire peaks at like 20k?

I have 3 friends that Play fire mage.
Single target dps is fine but on trash dps they suck so hard. They keep telling me its the specc and they do everything they can to aoe.

I came to the conclusion that Firemages are just in a really bad spot for m+

Sure 15s are easy and doable with them but i feel like they should to double the dps on M+ trash/overall dmg.

tldr; i havent seen any good fire mages this season

4 Likes

If they peak at 20K they are doing something wrong.

I can easily spike up to 50-60K on a two pack pull, and can likely go higher if bigger pulls are made.

You really need to know the pull patterns as fire, and even if you do if you have to use your combustion on smaller packs/prio targets your numbers will not be too high.

Do your friends play with the sun king legendary?

2 Likes

yes kinda everyone plays with Sunking leggo and is crying theyre wasting proccs

i am always really underwhelmed when i invite a 270 mage and he is just dead weight in the group

(no clue why the thread got created by my low level hunter)

Fire cleave is very bad. If the tanks sticks to single pack pulls, fire is not gonna do any damage.
You want to make sure to do decent size pulls every time your mage as combust up.

Even then fire is not gonna reach destro lock levels of damage, but it will be defenetly decent.

good insight thanks

I run DC, its better in most random dungeon situations imo. Don’t have to worry about procs running out between pulls, tyran weeks packs die within the main combust window anyway, stronger burst on ST prio targets if you need it.

Also if you see your fire mage pyroing shards, overlords or other prio’s they are speeding up your run but sacraficing their overall.

first of all it really depend on the pull size, gear, tier set and leggo of both mage and warlock you are comparing.

assuming you are talking about average double pull on 15-20 key
and both of the players are equally geared
if the lock peaks at 100k and finish at 40k-60k or even higher he probably knows his class decent enough
and if the mage peaks at 20k he should end the pull at 10-13k hardly which means he should either learn his class and rotation or he should re spec. (thats assuming he has his combust up)

mages can peak really high but all classes are falling behind on dps compared to warlock / sv / ww

depending on the key level, depending on the pull size, depending on if you kite or not and depending on if other dds use burst cds.
for example a warrior can charge in and pop burst CDs (and die in other seasons). fire has to wait until you reached the position all adds will stay and depending on the legendary has to trigger DC legendary first and then hardcaste a flamestrike (~4 sec) into combustion. also fire will do more dmg if mobs arent kited and dont die too fast. normally if you pop your fire CDs and a WL and a warrior popping burst cds aswell you wont have much use of your combustion and depending on the key level you will still have combustion up for some seconds cause mobs died too fast.

also your mates could do mistakes, only can judge this if you locked or streamed a run

You dont have to precast a flamestrike, it’s a dps gain if everything stays alive but if stuff is dying fast your going to lose dps. I often scorch, combust, fireblast, flamestrike so I can keep running into a good position for shifting power.

Also warriors have cds for almost every pack. If your not finishing you combusts then the key level is so low for your party they are easy anyway.

you dont have to use any cast. normally you have to wait a moment till every mob is gathered anyways because our AoE is stationary. easier, if you know the tank and can ask, where he will gather the adds.

so you combust while tank gathering the adds? this doesnt make much sense, if you scorch, combust, fireblast, flamestrike while running towards the adds you leave your rune of power behind.
why dont you cast fireball as long as tank gathers adds, might get a hot streak aswell, then blink while fireball or flamestrike casting and pop combustion next to add grp?

correct.

dude said, +15 keys are easy but hes thinking of higher keys with his 3 mage buddies. also WL or SV hunter can be low ilvl with 4 piece and 2 legendary and still doing huge amount of dmg, so actuall everything up until a certain key level is easy and people playing higher keys then last seasons.

It’s because they aren’t frost

Nope, I combust as the pack just about grouped but doing scorch into bust on awkward packs means your casts dont get interupted by movement, especially in tight spaces when blinking can be dangerous. I usually end up in front of my rune but within the buff area.
If I know where the tank is going I will cast flamestrikes into combust, even precast them to get some flame patches up.

The point was the textbook rotation isn’t always the best one. If you know the pack will be dead before you finish your combustion, you want to get into combustion as quick as you can.

Fire mage is not that easy to play properly so when pugging its very risky to take a fire mage with you especially if their score is low (you could also look at their logs I suppose, good raid dmg means they know how to aoe as well most likely). So a lot of people who play the spec are just bad. I think that’s the main thing.

1 Like

Well, Fire with SKB is not the easiest thing to play in keys. If you are playing +15s, chances are you are running into mediocre Fire Mages. A mediocre Hunter will always do more damage than a mediocre Fire Mage. Also in low keys tanks tend to pull smaller packs, where fire is bad. They also pull slowly between packs and that makes the mage lose their SKB procs. It’s really a combination of things. A competent Fire Mage in a high key does respectable damage.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.