Why are old raid trinkets better

I have 2 trinkets equipped, one is 385 grong’s primal rage from last raid doing 73K dmg & Razdunk’s big red buttondoing 52K dmg 420 ilevel

They do the same, but one does more dmg than the other while being 35 ilevels shorter …? So you’re telling me a trinket from the last raid is stronger than a m+ trinket in current season? What

You’re only looking at the damage the trinket does rather than how it functions. Don’t forget that you also get ~30% more strength from a 420 button over a 385 grong’s.

The button is activated instantly and has a relatively fast travel time, allowing you to continue dealing damage and moving with only a minimal chance of targets moving out of its path.

Grong’s on the other hand roots and pacifies you for 4 seconds, meaning that the only damage you deal for 4 seconds is that 73k, so 18k/second whilst being unable to move or act. You can probably do more than that just doing a normal rotation.

It’s a no-brainer to pick the button.

2 Likes

They also have different cooldowns and one is usable at range.

2 Likes

I figured out the trinket is affected by haste, it lasts 2 secounds with mich scheming x3, also the cooldown was 30 secounds lower + the rockets takes like 4-5 secounds to take effect in where you target them, i use both of them on my dps tank set but it just bothered me how such high ilevel could make such a strange difference but thnx

Grongs scales with haste, it’s damage isn’t affected by addition targets (as in it deals the same damage to each target) while button does it’s damage, which is split if multiple targets are present.

Button I believe hasn’t been a great trinket all expac, just sharded a 430+socket while using 415s to raid with. It’s just not a great trinket.

I beg to differ -

Use: Enter a primal rage, dealing 60555 Physical damage split among nearby enemies over 4 sec. Deals increased damage when striking multiple targets. You cannot move or use abilities during your rage. ](1 Min, 30 Sec Cooldown)

Though, I still wouldn’t take it over the button, unless it somehow titanforged crazy high.

1 Like

Touche, I’ve not used it for a while, but I did recall it did benefit from extra targets.

I stand corrected.

1 Like

Which should be reflected as dps, but it looks like isn’t.

This is an extremely vague look at an item’s worth. Sim your char twice, once with Grong’s and once with the Button. You might be surprised of the result.

You always have to sim your character (e.g. by using the Raidbots site) with different gearing setups to see what’s best. Item level is not a terrible indicator, but it’s not always reliable. For example, the craftable ilvl 400 caster trinket is better than much higher ilvl caster trinkets from the new raid (or the last). Or certain 425 Benthic pieces that perform better in the EP raid than items 25 item levels higher. It’s not very intuitive.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.