Why are survival hunters unpopular?

I think it’s more so that it feels like a bag of poo to play. Mishmash of abilities.

Re-opening this huge can of worms, Survival was build on Vanilla as a mix of ranged and melee, not melee exclusively.
In the next expansions it lost it’s melee identity bit-by-bit, replacing for CC, dots, and such (more pvp oriented if i recall from my amateur WotLK arena days).
Then MoP axed the 3rd slot, forcing all hunters to use solely ranged weapons.

So may say Survival had for a decade a ranged identity, as trapper, cc’er, doter, and such.
With Legion it kept a liiiiiitle bit of it, but changed to melee mandatorily. Now, peeps that loved the quick, mobile ranged Surv spec were left behind, and the “attempt” to mix the old Surv with MM just made MM a mess, that is still recovering for now.

So, no. The stigma is axing a ranged specc for a melee one, when there’s already a lot of melee classes, plus all new classes since WotLK are melee.
Right now, i would say all hunter specs are a shadow of what they were.

1 Like

I would pay an arm and a leg for ranged SV back, I don’t mind it’s form with a melee weapon (WotLK/Cata) but just to return. I miss pro-kiter and dot spec… I never wanted anathor melee spec, but with a pet! In my eyes we went from 2 ranged + pet spec to ranged (sniper), pet and melee. So we have 1 (true) ranged melee spec left.

4 Likes

I would gladly pay your arm and a leg for a return of cata enhancement shaman, but sadly…

1 Like

There is a clear difference between mechanic change and just changing the whole role. With DKs back then it was more deciding which would become dps or tank, since all 3 specs could do both. Here they ripped an entire spec just because they had to have anathor melee spec in this game. MM is more or less a caster since it shares the same weakness. Moving is dps lose. SV had bad ST damage but good mobile, dot and AoE damage.

If they wanted a pure melee hunter so much they should have made BM (Rexxar’s class fantasy inspiration) or just introduced a 4th spec. If it wasn’t for hunters being able to unlock so many weapon mogs they would be all still 110 or 100 post-WoD.

Very much agree.

I am of the opinion(in this case) that what’s done is done. They changed SV to melee. They(devs) chose to give it to the class despite that there weren’t a tangible player demand for such a change to be made.

This to me, suggests that there is no point in us asking for MSV to be removed because they(devs) did not make that change based on what we as current hunters wanted. So, I say leave MSV as it is. Leave MM as it is(with a focus on the theme/fantasy of a sniper/deadshot that doesn’t have much at all to do with pets).

And, give us a 4th spec option that provides a modern version of what was ranged Survival prior to Legion.
With “modern” I mean a design that would actually fit the game which we have today. As, any iteration of the old ranged SV spec that we’ve had would not fit in the game today.

Anyone who have visited the EU Hunter forum since earlier this summer, or the US Hunter forum, or even MMO-C, have probably seen my suggestions before.
The main reason as to why I’m leaning heavily towards the 4th spec-route is because it is essentially the only way where we who miss the old SV, can get that spec back in a proper way, without it hurting the existing specs(or the players playing those).

(PS. It’s not a giant wall of text. It’s just the link that looks weird)

1 Like

I mean… To me sv always looked like runnin dottin kitin explodin spec… And it still is.

Survival was torn from its fan base originally.

Then ruined to the points it’s new fan base no longer wants it :stuck_out_tongue:

I loved legion survival. But at this point they took it from “being too like MM” too “too much like BM”

Take it back to what it was to legion (maybe with some changes to stop it being so punishing. But I want things like caltrops and things back.

1 Like

Survival hunter is not optimized for raid or m+.
Survival hunter cant do same dmg and can’t come even close to defensive power like other mele specs.
So its not Unpopular spec, its just a bad spec.

Now that I’m getting better azerite gear and a higher ilvl, I’m still competing with other classes, dealing either the same or more damage. Despite my DH being a lot stronger, by DPS isn’t that far off, especially single target in M+. Multi target only really works well if I get some latent poison stacks at 10 done.

Tf you even on about lmao.
Survival is fine for both M+ and Raids, with the right setup they can just as much as a memeflurry rogue (but obviously requires more than just 1 button press).

Survival has this expac been:
-The best specc upto Uldir
-The better of the speccs for Uldir
-Held up well in BoD
-Less stellar in CoS as if melee was good in that raid
-Doing just fine in EP and in some cases outperforming BM.
Our defenses are as with ANY of the speccs kiting our enemy, using CC and not tanking damage in the face.

Speccs not perfect by far, but it’s not as bad as you spew out my dude. It’s still better than MM due to lack of 2-target cleave on it while SV has a strong ST not diminished much by swapping target.

You see more BMs around as BM has better cleave, which this tier is more important on some fights and obvs the biggest issue being a melee not really bringing anything spectacular to the table like DH, monk or rogue.

Yes I can read logs, yes I can analyze logs and yes I can be critical of my specc despite not doing Mythic/Cutting Edge anymore :v:

2 Likes

You are fine and you are on bottom of every staticts for raiding and m+.
You are troll who dont care about balance.

Well it is balanced number wise, still people don’tmlike it, who knows why…? :thinking::thinking:

Not it’s not balanced number wise. That’s why its unpopular. No more trolls.

survival hunters in current raid tier pulls higher numbers then the other two hunter specs, numbers in raid encounter at the very least are not a problem at all, it’s just the design of the spec and the fact thta it’s melee that doesn’t caters to most of the hunter mains. It’s a great alt spec for melee mains tho so i guess Worth it?

1 Like

It made me give up havoc, while I used to love that spec :smile:

Survival hunters in current raid tier pulls higher numbers? Where? Stop trolling plz. I am here for serious feedback and serious conversations.

Except im not? My logs for the content I do -HC raiding mainly- are fine, M+ doesn’t entice me enough to do more than my weekly and my point was made by looking at and comparing Mythic logs from high end folk.

Disagreeing with you and giving a point doesn’t make me a troll, if anything your lack of a structured argument other than “lol bad specc” makes you more of a troll than the rest of us.

1 Like

We dont play same game.

My survival DPS in M+ and EPH is on par with others of my ilvl. Perhaps they are underperforming, perhaps I’m overperforming… I haven’t experienced it to be a weak spec.

1 Like