Why are there retail rewards for playing classic?

For reaching level 60 in classic you receive a free copy of Battle for Azeroth and a level 110 character boost currently valued at £49.

For participating in the launch of Alterac Valley on classic you receive time warped badges and either a mount/pet (unclear from name),

How long is this going to continue for and why couldn’t this have been made clear from the start? Especially as other anniversary rewards have been known about for months.

I disagree strongly with the decision to include any amount of timewarped badges. They are a resource and you have never given out wow resources as part of a promotion for another game before. Mostly though, i want to know if this is simply a honeymoon period for classic or whether this is going to continue indefinitely?

I made the decision to keep playing retail instead of committing to classic - based on the information provided by blizzard - and i have no intention of maintaining a max level character on classic. If this is part of your plan indefinitely, and we have to play both now in order to participate in something as basic as community events, then i’d rather play neither.

5 Likes

You do know that we will get an alterac valley classic version during the 15th year anniversary right?

1 Like

So those rewards will be available to retail players then? Sorry If i’m salty but after they revealed the high priced reward for hitting 60 I think it’s only fair we get to know if there will be other retail rewards for playing classic.

2 Likes

Personally I think it’s a smart move on their part. People are starting to hit 60. Soon enough they’ll get bored with Classic because there’s nothing to do, see they have a free copy of BfA and a 110 boost, and think “Hmm, maybe I could give it a go”.
Because of the shop, this is where they make a majority of their money.
Do I feel upset about it? Nope. I don’t really mind at all. As long as they aren’t getting benefits like a 110 character with fully upgraded 440 ilvl armor then we’re good.

12 Likes

So in your scenario, someone is gonna clock 7-8-9-10+ days /played to get to 60, try out molten core, get bored, try BfA and go buy a store mount? Interesting.

Personally I’d be surprised if anyone with that little interest in classic even makes it to 60 at all.

4 Likes

They probably make more money on game services over store mounts. Not too long ago I spent a fortune on transfers and race changes.

It’s not to say they have no interest in Classic, but really, is there a proper “end game”? So they may still play Classic and roll some alts, but give retail a go as well.

1 Like

That’s true, but they must make a fortune on store mounts too. According to one of those websites that shows how many people have certain mounts and pets, a couple of the store mounts had some 25-30% of all profiles.

I think the end game is fairly similar for both, you do your weekly raid and since dungeon gear is better than molten core for a bunch of classes they’re probably gonna be relevant for some time too. Not quite m+ though, but close enough for classic I guess.

Then you got your attunements, getting your dungeon keys, farming gold for that sweet epic mount and next phase you can no life your way to rank 14.

You mean the post on a brazillian facebook page almost two weeks ago that has quickly been deleted and nothing indicates such thing will happen in near future?

No, that’s an event on retail, the “classic Alterac Valley” - because the old AV had different rules than the new one.

Get your facts together, then you might be a little less outraged :+1:

4 Likes

Don’t worry , after 2 months when most people are 60 and realise there is no content in classic ( spam bgs like mad for 12 hours every day in 3 months for rank 14 ), they will rush back to BfA screaming “how cruel the world is” like some edgy emo boys.

It’s Blizzards product and they can decide when and to whom they give the product away.

Retail players have received plenty of bonuses over the years and actually this may bring more players into retail that might not have given it a chance. Which is a win/win for us.

1 Like

Is there any blue post telling that who reaches 60 in classic gets BFA?
So far I only know about deleted twitter post on Brazil Blizzard. Has any1 who reached 60 got BFA?
If turn out it is true then ITS NOT FAIR. Why d fak would they recieve free expansion just because they dont mind grindfest of Classic? Also BFA is on sale now, if they want it its fair that THEY BUY IT

It’s called a cross-promotion. It’s intended to convince some of the users of the product in which the promotion is held (in this case, Classic WoW users) to also use the product that is being promoted (in this case, retail WoW).

This shouldn’t come as a surprise since they have done this with all their other games in one way or another. Just free yourself from the “compulsion” to play something you don’t want to play just because there is a carrot. You’ve likely missed out on plenty of other things already (old CE pets, discontinued titles, old RaF mounts, card game rewards, etc), so missing out on something else (in exchange for not doing something you don’t enjoy) isn’t so dramatic.

If they give Classic players without BFA a free copy of BFA (which presumably aren’t many players), then it benefits the “current” game version, which isn’t a bad thing at all. (I don’t play Classic. Did that fifteen years ago and not interested in repeating the experience. It was precious then and I like my memories.)

This isn’t actually confirmed, right? Even if it’s real, they could always decide against it in the end. Wouldn’t necessarily get excited until I get the email. In fact, the leak is pushing me away from Classic since I don’t know if existing characters will be eligible for this. Or active subs. Though the latter in particular would be a real scum move. Then again, I got a free character boost as a player who had been gone for years, which apparently few other people did.

1 Like

I cant seem to find where you explain what exactly your problem with this is. I mean seriously, what’s the issue? You don’t want more people to come to BfA and potentially stick with subsequent expansions?

I came back for classic and can just say that personally I wouldn’t buy bfa. But if it came for free suddenly I probably would give it a try since sub time is sub time so seems like a smart idea from blizz to keep me subbed longer.

3 Likes

Especially with the prepatch for next expansion this could bring back a good amount of people who feel the same when they are already paying for Classic.

From a marketing point of view it makes sense, for those players that came back to play Classic and then decide its not as interesting as it was hyped to be or that they remember it was, by throwing a free copy of BFA and lvl 110 boost those players may decide to play BFA instead of stop playing entirely again.

1 Like

Its actualy a smart move

Leveling is boring in classic, even worse than bfa.