Why do you play Shadowpriest?

Hi!

I am a new player and try to figure out the perfect class which fits me.

I have no experience with the shadowpriest so I ask the pros about the class.

Can you tell me why you play SP?

Thank you all!

3 Likes

I always play as disc/holy main for healing.

So it suits me best to have a DMG spec on hand.

Can you tell me something about your experience with Shadow?

Shadowpriest got very good talents with the new talent system introduced in Dragonflight and is able to dish out good consistent damage (and occasionally burst damage) on both single and multi target fights (depending on it’s build), has good defensive and offensive cooldowns, and good self sustain, even has limited healing for his allies.
It relies heavily on the management of it’s buffs it gets from performing certain actions (Coalescing Shadows, Dark Evangelism, Mind Melt) and the use of it’s procs (Mind Devourer, Shadowy Insight).
It also has access to Purge (Dispel Magic, removes beneficial effects from enemies like shields, stat buffs etc), can Cure Diseases and can still dispel negative effects from friendlies via Mass Dispel, and can give Power Infusion to him/herself and a a chosen party member.
It has access to a good amount of crowd control as well(Stun, Fear, Silence and horrify if Vampiric Touch gets dispelled)
It’s a good choice for both PvE and PvP if you are willing to get used to/learn it’s mechanics.

1 Like

First off, play SP if you like the “vibe” of connecting with the void and old gods. You will spend a lot of your time in shadowform and seeking out purple type mogs! If you like the flavour of all of this then have a go.

As for playing one, they are considered to be a little complex with lots of buttons. They are an interesting combination of dots and burst.

Some good SP flavour:

Mind games - a spell which causes damage and then makes your target heal you if they try to damage you for a while.

Shadowy Apparations: ghosts are procced by your other spells and flow towards your targets. This can look super cool with lots of targets. Your ghosts can summon a temporary monster too.

Shadow Word Death: SP is well known for an “execute” instant spell that causes high damage to low health targets.

Minder Bender/Shadowfiend - nice pet. Mind bender comes out once a minute and you can buff it with talents.

The downside to SP might be that it can be hard to master, and also many players feel Blizzard makes some challenging choices or doesn’t give it enough attention. For example, a classic spell Mind Sear is an AOE channelled damage spell. Now this spends Insanity (our resource)- before, it used to build our resource up. Few players take it now as we need our insanity resource for our main spender spell.

Last of all, in picking SP it does mean your other choices are healers. If you go Warlock for example, you have 3 damage specs to play with. Worth taking into account as if you hate shadow after levelling it could be a challenge.

I;m mailing it this expansion and enjoying it.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.