Why is sub more like an assassin than assassination?

Title.

I feel like assassination does a very poor job of fitting its fantasy? Anyone else? poisons/bleed feel underwhelming? They don’t even have an awesome backstab mechanic like Sub does.

In the past, assassination was the spec designed to big burst and really punish people (doing more damage in kidney shot for example). Sub on the other hand was a spec that had a lot of passive benefits that made your openers really strong. Actually building 5 combo points before Cheap-Shot ended and going straight into Kidney shot was almost impossible for non Sub Rogues.

If we look at what made these specs different in the past, it was the strength of stealth/Openers Vs the strength of Burst. That was Sub vs Assass.

You’re right though. Sub has been given incredible burst and access to multiple openers, where-as assass is basically just a 1 dimensional warrior spec that has green poison abilities instead of red rage abilities.

Outlaw is another story altogether. It’s basically a sideshow until it’s overpowered. Then it gets nerfed back into sideshow. I find the entire spec confusing and out of place for a rogue. I’d rather have a tanking spec :confused:

2 Likes

Maybe I will design talent and abilities for Assassin like I did for Sub in previous post to show what Wordcannon was talking about, and to show what we lost.

In Claasic and TBC for example Assassins talent tree was literally build from crits, dmg bonus, and increased chance of poisoning the enemy + more energy on top. In time we got additional talents to regain combo points, gain more energy during some attacks etc. = more burst. Then Mutilate has lost it connection with poison making it simple white dmg ability, in Legion Sin get strong affinity with bleeds dmg taken from Sub (r.i.p. Sub) and in Shadowlands we get what we get (big nerf then some buff). When Sin lost his burst he became rather a DoT spec like Affliction warlock than burst spec. I think it was made for purpose to distinct the spec from bursty Sub.

Both talent trees are actually the same in core to me… assass has always been about doing more dmg with your poisons and sub was always about being more versatile in your gameplay.

And both still are.

In terms of fantasy the usage of poisons and bleeds fits perfectly well for assassins. But maybe Acrolein does have more of a contract killer interpretation when he thinks of an assasin.

All I know is that currently my top two damaging assa abilities are melee followed by garrote. Its a wet dream seeing envenom crit for 10k

1 Like

I remember around WotLK Envenom was melting trough the platers like knife trought butter. Ah, that was a feeling :slight_smile: It was the main reason I switch to Sin for a short time back then.

I’ve always thought it was silly that assassination didn’t have much of an assassin profile

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.