Why not make pets cosmetic?

WoW being so good with transmogs, mounts and now starting to introduce a lot of customization of characters. Why is pets still bound to specific specs making it impossible to choose a pet to go well with the characters fantasy and transmog etc. because you need a specific pet for a different kinds of activities ingame. I would love to accompany my characters transmog/fantasy with a suitable pet, but I am forced to use some ugly pet just to get some specific abilities that are dealbreaker. It would be so cool to have a small spec tree or something for the pet, or at least let us choose whichever pet we want and chose the abilities for it. This kinda defeats the purpose of me trying to explore different fantasies and transmog with my hunter.

5 Likes

I totally agree, I play a void elf and I’d like to have “elf” themed pets to go along, there is some absolutely beautiful I’ll never be able to use because they are of the wrong type.

It’s annoying and bring nothing to the game so why not change it ?

2 Likes

It feels blizzard is shifting towards more cosmetic approach. Hopefully we will get pet family reverted and more pet cosmetic options seeing how warlock just got it.

2 Likes

Worse - they did add that In MoP, and remained in WoD - then they reverted it in Legion. I so desire it to return so we can use any pet and swappable spec… I wanna use bears, but I dont want Tenacity. :frowning:

1 Like

I main BM Hunter and have been thinking the same especially since the super cute mice we can tame now, my solution for hunter pets is let us choose to use any pet and pick what speciality it is cunning ,ferocity etc I would love to run with 2 mice but as i need to do heroism / BL im forced to run with pet that can do so which sadly isnt a mouse / rat .

Lazy Hunters are lazy. Pets are so easy to find now since Blizz added a MASSIVE YELLOW STAR to indicate rares on the map. It’s one thing still unique to Hunters and I’d hate to see pets become cosmetic because of a lazy playerbase. It’s a big world out there - go explore it!

1 Like

You’re not getting the point. What people are complaining about isn’t pets being hard to find. Is them not being able to use their favourite pets because they happen to not be of the right spec, that is, ferocity. Tenacity pets are essentially worthless and cunning are situational at best.

What people are asking for, is being able to choose the pet spec and talents like in Pandaria.

Ah, right. My bad. The problem with Ferocity is that it’s better at tanking than a Tenacity pet, which shouldn’t be the case. In most solo scenarios you’ll be using a Scalehide because it’s moons better than any other pet out there and that is plain dumb. Turtles and bears want their roles back.

Exactly this. Tenacity pets right now are obsolete, turtles can’t do anything that the core hound can’t do better. The current ferocity perk should be moved to Tenacity, and Ferocity should give one which increases damage or crit instead. And definitely, we need to be able to choose.

if I recall you used to be able to well not change pet apparence, but choose what your pet was, if you wanted it to be tank you choose that and so on, but it got removed for some reason.

1 Like

When I said, " let us choose to use any pet and pick what speciality it is cunning ,ferocity etc" , I meant any pets we have in our stable, not skip the hunting and taming part thats part of the fun being a hunter.

My response was to the suggestion by the OP. I did prefer choosing a tree for any pet, although I guess it went against the class fantasy originally intended for our companions. I just want tanking pets to be good at tanking again.

I will stand by this opinion:
“So long as our burst, cc, spenders, generators and utility are tied to pets - all of which we cannot use while the pet is out of LoS, CC’d and even rooted - we are severely handicapped by them and they provide absolutely NO benefits and only drawbacks.”

Adding to that, the hunter class is still within its vanilla design phase. Everything about them needs a drastic overhaul.

Totally agree, its about time they make changes and make them cosmetic, so you can use any pet you like and have the toolset of your choice. Im sure its possible…

2 Likes

Same here, there are some amazing pets that I’m not using because they are of wrong family :frowning:

This is nice and all, but please for the love of good please fix the pet ai first.

Having pets die to random packs or bosses, getting stuck at random places, having to dismiss them before trying to use camo / invis pot, kill command casts not always landing feels soooo crappy and it’s embarrassing that these issues still exist in 2023 to begin with…

1 Like

Indeed pet AI needs to be looked in, jump down and they cant even follow you, and in pvp is a problem sometimes…im sure they are dumb in raids too lol

1 Like

I miss swappable specs and spec trees. Adding those back would make the hunter more interesting again. These days I pretty much only use clefthooves or scalehides (on survival) simply because they are the best. (they are ferocity pets plus a better tank pets than tenacity lol) This limits the selection of pets way too much. (imo)

Pet stable needs a proper update also let pets be customizable so you arent force to use raptor/clefthoof all time…

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.