Why people hate LFR?

I heard many and many people hate the existence of LFR. some say it’s worst wow decision ever made. But I fail to see why ?

So can you enlighten me why (you) personally hate LFR. people don’t quote what other people say. Proxy argument gets us nowhere. I just want to know what you really think.

-For my personal opinion about LFR. I don’t like how LFR is it’s own difficulty. LFR would be much better in my opinion as Normal raid difficulty and rewards the same normal raid gear.

2 Likes

Because to a lot of people, the LFD tool in Wrath was one of the first and biggest steps towards killing the social aspect of WoW.

And LFR was just LFD but worse, because it started to eat away at raiding, the premier end game feature of the game.

It’s not so bad nowadays, world quests give better gear, its just the message LFR sends that ‘‘casuals’’ dont even have to try whatsoever to interact with the game.

11 Likes

I do not like it because there is no skill and little preparation required to complete it, while it also rewards loot (not the best gear, but still loot). They also get to see the raid fully with little effort, raiders that do normal/heroic/mythic put in the effort.

At the end of the day many who does not do LFR might think that it’s kind of cheating to be able to complete raids in LFR when others have to put in the effort.

I dont hate LFR, it does not affect me at all so why would i hate it? Dont like? Then dont do it :woman_shrugging:t3:

19 Likes

That’s a weird way but not invalid way to look at it.
how about you look at it from the perspective as it’s Training mode. to get to learn mechanics before going into Actual Raid. the loot you get is on par with Mythic 0 dungeons.

Well it’s one step out of many others. the fact the game became too easy to level…and among other things.
The LFD/LFR gives you a bypass to some of the players’s bullsh*t where they look for overly qualified players for the current content.
Just wait for Shadowlands to come up and when they release the first raid. people would ask for Link Curve on the first week. what curve you might ask ?
Nyalotha mythic Curve. so they invite you to do Normal shadowlands raids.

I understand that many people wants to pug with the best players. but that’s the nature of pugging.
If a player playing alone without friends. they wont be able to succeed without proper guilds.
So LFR is just a way for those people to gain access to some gear.

Just like Sinaaki said. if you don’t like it. then don’t use it. I still fail to see the hate

7 Likes

People who hate it are under the delusion that you can force social interaction in the game.

2004 was different. The gaming community was different and the game itself was different too. There is no going back. With or without LFR/LFD.

It may have been the first big step towards less interaction between players and less social demand, but it’s not like if we remove these aspects now, it’ll be any different .

Some things cannot be changed. And forcing people who don’t want to interact with others won’t make this game better either.

25 Likes

I dont hate it. I like it a lot. I finished every wing the first week it opened, and i learned a lot about the raid up to being able to do heroic. It is a nice relaxed environment with just a couple of bosses, so it does not take hours and hours.

4 Likes

because people actually think its a raid, they queue into an encounter tuned for lowest common denominator, afk through a fight with no mechanics, no challenge, then come away thinking " i did a raid" when its no where near the same thing,

then because they saw the story & got some welfare epics they don’t bother to progress

they don’t join a guild, they don’t work together to overcome a challenge, they don’t struggle together, they don’t form the bonds that come from a long term social circle & they sure as hell don’t feel the rush after putting a 100 wipes into a hard boss when you overcome it as a team

you know all the MMO parts of a mmorpg

i hardly use lfr unless its just messing about on alt’s it has no impact on me, i even get why its a thing, a tourist mode for players who don’t have the time/desire to commit to a raid team, i 100% support this ideal

what i dislike is the negative impact it has had on the game in general but mostly the negative impact i has on the “casual” playerbase who uses the system the most, you are just robbing yourself’s of the whole point of the game

working as a group of friends to overcome challenges & reap the rewards, loot & the nerd screams

2 Likes

It is OK to don’t like it. But why people want to remove it?

2 Likes

These nerdscreams were defenitely there on my first nzoth kill, and not only of me. We worked together to overcome the challanges and made it in the end. I even got 2 blizz-friends out of that. And loot got also traded. It was an epic evening.

1 Like

I don’t per se hate LFR. I hate doing LFR, so I don’t do it, but I don’t hate it existing.

However, I find the very design of a content that awards you for doing nothing to be a flaw.

It’s like those story based games where all you do is make decisions and in the end the ending is the same, regardless of which decision you made. Can you really call that a “game”, rather than a movie?

It’s the same for LFR. Achievements without working for those achievements aren’t worth jack.

However, I personally don’t mind the existance of LFR, even though I find it to be a waste of potential.

There’s people out there who never would’ve entered a raid if it weren’t for LFR, there may even be some children playing the game who are genuinely enjoying LFR and who am I to say that what other people enjoy is wrong?

On the other hand, one issue that LFR has brought with it (in combination with flex) was the overabundance of difficulties and thus the explosiveness of powerincrease throughout an expansion.

I mean let’s be real, at the beginning of the expansion, in Uldir, people were dealing roughly 20k dps. We’re at over 100k dps now. Within just 2 years, our own power multiplied by over 5. Yes, Corruptions and Azerite Essences are relevant regarding that one as well, but even without it, I remember having 180k hp during my first G’huun kill. Now a regular dps is over 500k hp and 100k dps.

If it weren’t for each raid having 4 different difficulties, chances are Blizzard could go at it a bit slower and not have to push 15 itemlevels each content. But that’s a lost cause anyway, we’ll just have to live with a squish with Shadowlands and one more for the final WoW expansion.

In general, my personal opinion is that LFR is flawed by design. That doesn’t mean people can’t enjoy it, it just means the whole thing is worth effectively nothing. It’s like taking a ride in a Jurassic Park theme park and afterwards telling people you’ve fought against dinosaurs.

Would I advocate for its removal? Honestly not sure. I’d like having 10/25 normal and 10/25 hc again, but that’s a topic probably too far gone, so I don’t think there’ll be any relevant changes to these things, ever again. So why advocate for anything regarding it?

Personally if you do lfr before normal it takes away a lot of the wow factor. Bosses dont seem cool when you spawn in zerg it down and have little idea what even happened.

Then on the other side, there are many people who do lfr then tey to do normal or heroic and have no idea of the mechanics as they didnt actually have to do it before. Normal is easy enough that it could easiou be the lowest level of content

I don’t think that’s necessarily true - there is, and was, a large portion of the player base who would never have, and never did, raid pre-LFR.

Post-TBC the barriers for raiding weren’t exactly strict but I don’t think adding an LFR shrank the pool of available raiders - more it just let everyone else get a look in.

There is an argument that the game did fundamentally change in those last few Wrath patches, and that undeniable.

I think overall LFR is a net positive, it may encourage people who may be a bit wary of doing group stuff get a taste for it. Or it may put people off completely. Either way I don’t think having the options there is entirely a bad thing.

3 Likes

And that was a part of the thing, the gigaaccesability of raiding with LFR is what killed a lot of it for a lot of players.

The mythos surrounding Naxx40 was BECAUSE so few people actually got to do it way back. LFR just set the precedent of the ‘‘participation trophy’’ culture, the welfare epics and all that.

Sure LFR may be a net positive im just pointing out why a lot of people still holde a grudge towards LFR to this day

I think people do not like LFR because Blizzard never managed to nail down what they exactly want out of LFR over the years.

Is it there for people to finish the story? For a lot of this people it is too demanding to slog through the fights when they only really are interested in the expansion’s plots end.

Is it there for a way for those with flaky schedules to raid? LFR does not have the difficulty in place to provide that challenge for people.

Is it there to prepare you for the higher difficulties? Personally I feel that there isn’t. Most mechanics in LFR (with the exception of gimmicks) are so negligible that most will not even notice it. The mechanics aren’t threatening enough to make people learn, and with the exception of specific end bosses like N’zoth you do not always need a full team to finish the job.

With the random queue system in place Blizzard cannot even add the more challenging mechanics either. This will always be the case with whatever is part of the random queue system.

I guess people just dislike LFR because it never really had a clear identity. It feels to be a mix and match of ideas that is just…there. Do I hate it for it? Personally, no, I do not.

1 Like

That’s how I use it. But from my experience that’s not what others use it for. There’s always a bunch of people that don’t know what do at all.

I don’t expect people to play perfectly, but a lot of people can’t even be bothered to read the little ingame text in the dungeon journal on what to do.

That’s personally my biggest gripe with LFR. It’s so easy that it doesn’t really encourages learning the fights mechanics. Even on more mechanically challenging fights like N’zoth the LFR groups answer often is: Wipe until we get so many Determination stacks that we basically one shot it.

LFR can be a great tool to see the raid before doing it in normal and heroic. But I dislike how it encourages poor play.

I don’t like it because I feel like it drains the playerbase that would normally be doing normal raids. That said, I don’t know whether or not this is actually the case. All I know is that I remember seeing some of my friends’ casual guilds break up because people just started doing LFR instead.

1 Like

I may be wrong but I’m pretty sure the Naxx raiders of the past and the Sunwell raiders wouldn’t even acknowledge the players in LFR today.

How in any way does it even exist to them?

I agree - but having a raid that the overwhelming majority can’t do - or participate in can’t be good game design. All that work for what, really? I do wonder if that kind of design would have been successful to this day - would WoW have survived this long if everything was Naxx and Sunwell. Perhaps? Also I’m pretty sure Naxx is going to get smashed upon Classic release - so perhaps if the player base had those 15 years to get gud perhaps the story would be different?

Grudge against who though? How long could Blizz have kept raiding out of reach for the majority (and it really was the majority back then) and expected the commercial success WoW had.

2 Likes

Not running for wrathion fire = dead.
Not doing the skitra tank = not killing the boss
Not going in circles at Maut = dead
Bursting on Maut skin = dead
Not dodging the Vexiona breath = dead
Not doing Xanesh football 1 time good = dead

Should i continue? 95% of the heroic mechanics are in there. LFR totally prepares you for higher difficulties.

2 Likes

Grudge against the overuse of QOL changes at the expense of some mmo elements