Why the hate toward Cataclysm?

@Ryugal Easy my dude :smiley: Im not telling ppl what to feel. Ppl may feel whatever they wish, and therefore I too can think it a poor excuse. It changes nothing! Also no one is forcing ppl to play cata. Vanilla era servers are still up where you can quest in the old world with all its glory and goodness. I do hope ppl get their tbc/wrath era servers

1 Like

btw we now have streamers on our side
TBC HYPE TBC HYPE TBC HYPE

2 Likes

I’m all in favour of cata ‘classic’ purely because it lets people experience things they may have missed.

Won’t play it myself though because, whilst cata did on a purely technical level improve the levelling experience it, frankly, did it at the expense of the worlds soul and life. The old zones had and still have a mystique to them that the cata versions totally sucked out and replaced with dated (and often in poor taste honestly) memes and jokes, often ruining any potential the revamped versions have.

All else aside, I loathe it for that alone.

1 Like

many such cases, this is why i feel people simply are being polite about Cata, but its really a waste of a roadmap space and Blizzard’s resources in general.
but hey may be Rag mount makes it worth it from the $ side of things!

You can’t do that, either. The more versions of the game you add, the more areas you add to the game, the higher the chance that you will create something dead. As a retail player, you should know that, because 99% of the whole bloody game’s dead because they keep adding and never update or replace.

In the context is Classic, Cataclysm’s replacing things is a problem because Classic is the promise of the original game brought back, but in context of what originally happened with Cataclysm back in 2010, I would strongly argue that the problem is not that Blizzard decided to revamp the world; rather, the problem is what came out of it. Cataclysm’s levelling just isn’t as much fun as the original. It ignores WoW’s original strengths in a big way and focuses on a style of game that can be delivered much better in an ARPG, and the game kept getting ARPG’ied for a long time after that as well.

i love Arathi and Darkshore rework personally and dont think they made game more dead.
I remember that i have personally spend a lot of time farming rares there for mounts and tmog, even leveled alts for more chances to get them per week.

on the issue of version of the game, i assume you refer to expacs?
well people play TBC and WotLK on pservers, so if Blizzard refuses to make even 1 server for these people plus the people who are subbed atm and play Retail like me or Classic or just dropped gaming until they get official servers back its on them.
the issue is that you cannot “divide the community”, you can lose the chunk of community by serving them the expansion they dont want instead of what they want.

1 Like

its a multibilion dollar company which has like 50 dead realms on retail . and they dont merge them .

im sure they can afford 1 or 2 “dead” tbc / wolk realms .

espceialy with how much boosts they would be selling on those .

2 Likes

Yes I’m sure you are. You and the army of you. :stuck_out_tongue:

Listen, if you imagine a WoW server’s playerbase on like a piechart. If you have 40 zones, you split them into 40 pieces. If you add 120 zones, well that’s 160 pieces. So either you have 1/4 as many players in the zones, or 3/4th of your zones are dead. Guess which one WoW picked? The latter.

If you increase the size of the pie, you ruin the town effect, and cause a whole new set of problems. Classic does this a lot, to its detriment.

What this means is that there is a correlation between how big the world should be and how many players are on a server, and on the whole I think the game is just a little too big right now.

What they could do is try to keep alive old communities by saying “Hey, if you guys just love playing the Northrend stuff, here’s Northrend, and it’s gonna be relevant for you until the end of time and sometimes we’ll add something there” and it’s like a separate community on the same server.

That can totally happen and will allow for a larger realm without breaking the town effect - however doing something like this would require Blizzard to understand the relationship between map size, community size, the town effect, and progression systems that lead people into these communities and makes them stick with them. And… well, I’m afraid they don’t. I think they can learn it, but The Worldsoul Saga definitely isn’t them doing that.

SOD is best proof that its complete total bs about people “desperately needing” "the original version "

i see that ton of people play it and hype it much more then classic vanilla.

because you have to be honest - leveling experience in classic and in tbc was beyond horrible .

thats important for Classic, where you actually want to meet people to form groups and do elites and just be social.
not sure that I really need to meet a random player in every Retail zone?
may be this is just me though, but i have never had an issue with too little players around on retail, usually the opposite was true.

Well thats the question for retail devs and how they plan to tackle the need to upgrade the old zones and at the same time to breathe the life into the world to make it populated enough.
I havent thought about that :wink:

Heh, yeah. But that’s the problem itself. This is supposed to be an MMORPG, and yet you find yourself happy that nobody else is around. Isn’t that deeply ironic? Wrong?

Cata is more like proto Legion than Classic.

well yes when i course throw the mobs like a blazing storm on Retail i dont really care if there are any other players doing the same thing, at best if mobs are shared they wont slow me down, at worst we will compete for quest goals.
for me at least its like that.

The dungeons required thinking.

Dragon soul soured the entire expansion. The 5 mans were pathetic. The raid was rubbish, although there were some good encounters.

For one, this. Not happy of the condensed theme park approach, and the heart.

On the other… I was switching to horde in 2009 and then got very disappointed with the new warchief, a 1:1 model of everyone’s favorite German leader of the 20th century. Ghettos, race superiority, aggression, acquiring ample living space for said race, all that.

And people were praising it. And that was the worst.

Personal preference. I think that both troll dungeons and dragon soul dungeons were really cool for that time.

Cataclysm is the expansion that made me take my longest wow break to date.

They changed Paladins and Ret was awful to play and hit like a wet noodle in PVE when the expansion first hit. Most of my friends went either holy or prot or just gave up on Paladin all together.

I understand by the end of the expansion things had improved but not until last patch. I’d long gone by then.

There were other things I disliked ofc but they wouldn’t have made me leave had I enjoyed Ret. The landscapes changed, and some were ruined as a result. I did get my loremaster a second time under the new system and it was a lot easier. Some quests no longer exist due to cata and others had to be introduced as a result.

Dungeons were very overtuned. When you just dinged it was a very time consuming process to try and gear in heroics. I did raid with my guild initially but I could see I was just holding them back.

With most of the Classic versions they’ve gone with the later builds so hopefully the issues won’t be as bad as it was first time round. Time will tell!

1 Like

Ok, remind me not to level a paladin on classic then! :rofl: I have a warlock + shaman, hopefully warlock will feel ok as that’s what I’ll probably main for Cata classic.

For me, I am very much a classic “tourist”, playing it when I don’t feel like playing retail so maybe I’m not fully qualified to give an opinion, but for me it’s going to be a bit bittersweet.

The old zones are dated gameplay wise, but at the same time it’s “new” compared to the zones we’ll be getting which you can do on retail any time you want, though I do think the new EK/Kalimdor is overall better minus 1 or 2 zones like Thousand Needles. I guess we do have Season of Discovery at least if you are missing the old zones + quests.

Transmog will be really nice to have though and it looks like they are adding some nice QoL changes (it’s not in Beta yet, but I think we can now have the updated character models as well?) and people are saying the Cata dungeons/raids are better (Well ok, not Dragon Soul :rofl:) than the Wrath ones so I’ll certainly give it a chance!

it was after the lich king.

1 Like

Challenging content and the zone redesigns plus madness of deathwing is what I see complaints about