Why the hate toward Cataclysm?

Hello my fellow players

This topic has most likelly had several posts already, though i feel a need to voice my opinion. And thats just what this is… My opinion.

I don’t get the hate Cataclysm seems to recieve and when diving into why ppl hate it, its often because of features that wasnt even implemented in cata, but rather was in WoD or MoP.

I remember cata as a great expansion. Classes/specs felt good and refreshed. Dungeons were tough but fun. Raids were really great. Casual pvp was fun (not a big pvp guy so cant say regarding ranked pvp) Tol Barad was a lot of fun at first, but sadly this is were i remember the faction balance starting to hurt A LOT!!! Reforging was the first step i took to try to min/max :slight_smile: Transmog made old content somewhat relevant again.

The only downside as far as i remember was the implimentation of LFR (not a fan) and the looooong content draught after Dragon Soul (which wasnt as great a raid as the others)

The main thing ruining classic atm is botting and faction imbalance i think. If blizz were to get those under somewhat control i think we’re in for a treat with cataclysm classic. The only thing standing in my way of no life’ing cata is if i end up playing The War Within instead.

Ppl who have actually played cataclysm, let me know your thoughts. What am i not remembering? And which areas am i having my rose tinted glasses on?

2 Likes

1. Cata its not Classic. It is ancient Retail.
  2. Its okay to sell Ragnaros mount, but keep in mind that people buy it for Retail.
  3. Its okay to give Classic players at least 1 permanent English PvE seasonless server for each of the Classic games; Vanilla, TBC and WotLK.
  4. You wont divide the community by supplying people what they want to play cause people still will play what they want, the pservers for TBC and WotLK are out there.
  5. Its best to follow what community wants and give people the choice to play their favourite expac, instead of removing everything but Era and Cata. You wont force anyone to play Cata that way ever.
3 Likes

I love Cataclysm, it is my favourite expansion.
People didn’t like it because it revamped the old world and had a lot more pop culture jokes included. It also got rid of hybrid talents, as you have to get to the bottom of the tree before you can go into another.
The dungeons were overtuned in the beginning, something about the raids not being fabulous and a lot of people hate LFR.
I personally love it for all the above reasons, bar dungeon overtuning that I can’t even remember :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Because people have no taste. Cataclysm is still my favorite expansion.
And I played the end of TBC and the entirety of WOTLK.

3 Likes

Dragon Soul

I personally enjoyed the expansion.

2 Likes

self explanatory i like it
:clap:

1 Like

Well for me it was that they destroyed the old zones, I wish there was still an option to get those back somehow (there’s plenty of bronze dragons, one should be able to).

And because my guild at the time disbanded, only did the first raid and then completely stopped raiding til this expansion

4 Likes

The only thing bad about Cata is that we were left with that crappy Dragon Soul raid for what felt like years.

I didn’t like the revamping of the old zones. I had fond memories that I associated with places and NPCs, and much of that changed.

I also really didn’t like the changes to healing paired with the much harder heroics. At the time I was mostly playing with random players through the tool, and every LFD run was painful. It was so unfun I switched from resto druid to feral druid.

Some events in my personal life and relationship at the time also soured the expansion for me, but that had nothing to do with the game itself, though I still associate that time with Cataclysm.

2 Likes

It ruined the old world, don’t need any other reason.

4 Likes

Like with Legion and WoD, people only remembers the last part of the expansion.

1 Like

Which hate ? All people i Play classic wolk with are super hyped for cata :wink:

Since i got halion scale tonight im ultra super hyped now :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Because people are starting to realise that releasing all the expansions will lead you down the very same road the original game took, slowly turning it into retail, which is what they escaped from.

Cataclysm represented a huge shift away from the traditional open world nature of World of Warcraft and focused on a far more narrative experience that not only makes each zone linear, but even makes the routes through the zones linear as well. So much so that it eventually led to level scaling because reducing XP requirements completely broke Cataclysm.

And not only did it do this, it also removed the original game. In that way, if Classic is to be understood as vanilla, Cataclysm is in every way the anti-Classic. It deletes Classic from the game on purpose.

I genuinely don’t think it’ll find much of an audience. It’s a pretty bad expansion, though certainly not through a lack of effort. They started listening to the wrong people - the people who have no idea what an MMORPG is, and which led the game from the MMORPG that it was and into the ARPG it became.

4 Likes

Good ? I really enjoyed both mop and wod so im very hyped for next 6 years in classic

Your focus is on the end game and not on the total mess that this expansion created of the original zones and tragedy that is levelling thro Cata from zero to hero.

All the zones are scattered like the wind and have no actual continuity or ease of passage. The whole thing is fragmented and lacking any form of cohesion.

I did eventually complete the Cata loremaster but not before any number of stops and starts as I struggled with the content.

To understand Cata you have to look at the whole picture and reflect on what it did to the game as a whole. It was the start of the rot in terms of faction relationships and began to add the micky mouse nonsense that was so childish. It destroyed the old kingdoms and made for an expansion without any real solid purpose. It lacked direction.

The fragments of Cata still live with us and it is still a mess. The game was a prelude for the truly dreadful run of poor expansions that was to follow. The reason Classic is so popular is cus it gives players the chance to experience Warcraft for what it truly was and not the dreadful mess that Cata heralded.

And if you want to experience the true love this game has then stand in a hushed room and let the pin drop. Not a single person applauded… You can fool some of the people some of the time but not all of the people all of the time. Maybe these guys should stop regurgitating stuff like this and focus on delivering good product for a change.

2 Likes

thats fantastic, but the OP asked why some ( if not most ) Classic players are unhappy with Cata
it is indeed cause Cata servers are replacing WotLK and the absence of TBC, basically what they wrote:

If, instead of removing the Classic Expansion servers - TBC and WotLK, our developers had simply added Cata, then there would be no reason for such a reaction to Cata.
Its basically the same sin Blizzard committed originally by removing old Azeroth.
Dont replace - but add.
Its that simple.

1 Like

Oh ye. The leveling content that nobody Cares about :slight_smile:

And for the record. I really like leveling in cata . I do think that world rework did very good because leveling in cata was much more enjoyable them before cata.

And wod leveling was peak leveling experience in wow . Nothing later came even close

I get how the world revamp isnt for everyone. I personally love it and wish they would do it more. Feels wierd that the world doesnt reflect what has happend in the previous expac. Starting fresh in retail you still go through the cata revamp if you choose to quest on eastern kingdom and kalimdor. The thing with the revamp is, when first implemented, the old world were never to return. But it did through classic. Now you can still visit the old world with the era servers, SoD and if/when blizzard caves, we get tbc and wrath era servers. So atm the world revamp is a poor excuse to hate cata imo. I thought it was fresh as hell when it happend.

1 Like

Cata is still for me the worst expansion ever along with BFA (imo). What i did not like:

• old world destroyed, many things got removed.
  • overtuned dungeons at launch where you had to spend 1 hour wipefest to get to the end. That after Wotlk which was really easy / casual. Got nerfed several time, but the damage was done
  • the underwater zone
  • class design

The good thing: pvp was pretty solid as i remember it.

2 Likes

“let me tell you how you should feel” - the post.

yeah in Retail its welcome.
for Classic players its not. They have earned their right to play the game as it was, and thats okay.
yet for some strange reason Classic players base was still cheated on TBC and WotLK, but I am sure with how well Cata will go this year ( even if the big money will be spend on advertising ) they will come back up at some point.

3 Likes