World Editor for WoW

How do i like a reply multiple times :joy:

1 Like

This is already possible today with existing tools so why would they need to develop a new tool? you can use WoW Model Viewer (https://wowmodelviewer.net) and any 3D modeling software like 3DS Max, Maya, Blender and the like…

Nope. It wont ever work on a game like this.

Of course it wouldn’t work for a themepark like WoW as part of the game itself. What’s being suggested is something where you could create your own alternative Azeroth using WoW resources to make a custom area and open it up for players to explore as a totally separate thing.

TES:Morrowind came with a world editor when it was launched and the modding community went wild with it creating all sorts of wonderful stuff.

I’m sure having a complementary set of tools to do this would increase WoW’s popularity and bring in new players as well as creating a whole new community for the game.

It wouldnt work because this is an Massive multiplayer online rpg.

TES are single player games.

And levels/zones/whatever you want ot name them, are just… that, mods.

I think SC2 has a map editor. Can remember Tomb Raider:Chronicles shipped with a level editor, had loads of fun with that

It wouldn’t be part of the game (dunno how many times this has to be repeated), it would be a separate thing, on it’s own server with no influence whatsover on the core game.

Impossible because WoW does not have a SP mode. That means your new maps, NPCs, etc would have to be uploaded to the server and become part of the game proper. With millions of subscribers it would be impossible for the central servers to handle it.

Ah sorry just now I saw this (you should edit the OP).

Ermm, with millions of players, creating, editing, uploading, editing, re-uploading maps - you’d need 1000s of servers. It would be easier to allow local servers, so you run your own maps on your own PC, like other games do (was it call of duty?), and there you can host your own internet games. But I seriously doubt WoW would allow their server code, the game engine, to be distributed and run locally on people’s PCs.

This guy has been doing it for years
https://www.youtube.com/c/ReznikShaman/videos

I didn’t make the OP so editing it is beyond my capabilities.

Other MMO’s (Ryzom, STO, SWG) manage to do this sort of thing so I see no reason why WoW should be any different.

A prcedent has alseady been set by Blizzard, the original WC games had map editors as did SC. I’m sure those clever people at Blizzard could work out a way to make this possible from a technical point of view.

SoE (when it was alive) tried this with the latest (now dead) version of EQ, EW next was going to have a tool where you could make your own oyems and areas and was released before the game was finished, it was successful but the actual game never made it to launch.

It’s not a question of possibility, it’s a question of whether they want to do it, I’d be gentle and say that people here saying it’s not possible are not even wrong, it’s definitely doable from a technical standpoint, especially when it comes to a World Editor which is basically a 3D modeling software at its base that can read the content from the CASC files where all the data of the client lives such as textures, models, code, etc…

Adding a single player mode is possible as well in fact they can deploy the WoW server locally with a specific endpoint and point the client to that address but why would they ever want to do it? there are too many reason not to do it.

1 Like

If course it’s down to Blizzard as to what they want to do.

Doesn’t mean we can’t make suggestions and put forward our ideas though.

Sure. :wink:

WC and SC are not MMOs right? Call of Duty is not an MMO, neither is Diablo.
Edit: all these games can/could be run on your local PC entirely. WoW cannot do that, unless they decide to allow it, and then yes you could host your own WoW server and have other players connect to your server, like you’d do with a private WoW server, eg Mangos .

I sort of remember SWG, you had player housing and player towns. You’d set up a house or your guild would build up a town on a spot on the map, before anyone else came to claim same spot. But there were no new maps. This is a bit like WoW’s campfire. It is not a new map, with NPCs, dungeons, or questing - nothing of the sort.

Thanks for informing of this, however non of those are the games I mentioned (which are MMO’s)

I wasn’t refering to SWG’s housing but the story teller system where you could create simple quests and create an item to sell on the vendor that would trigger the quest, While you couldn’t create new maps you could create complete scenarios on existing maps and make an adventure for other players to take part in, I made a complete Imperial base complete with ST’s AT-AT, Droideka and what not on Lok and that kept the guild busy for 2 days.

Ryzom and STO you can make your own maps and populate them with whatever is allowed by the game resources available.

Player housing is another subject entirely and is something for another thread.

If they do something like this and add 1 community-made map to be official content of the game , game will be much more integrated with playerbase so yeah

What you are suggesting is to much fun. Actiblizz do not do fun. However if yo are looking misery and despair then they are experts on making people feel like that. Bit like the UK GOV.

I made maps in heroes , sc , warcraft was fun .
Dunno if it would work it was like 15 years ago .Different vibes nowadays .
Don’t get me wrong a lot of ppl would play with editors but most prolly not .

SWG by no means had that at all…

I dont know abotu STO but I really doubt it since they haver a no modding policy…

SWG had an in game feature called player cities. Thats the only thing ‘remotely’ close to your ‘idea’ that you changed up from OP whom litterally is asking for a different thjing ande you are hijacking OP’s topic.

If you mean private servers, they arnt official servers.