World of Warcraft and Windows 7 (not compatible?)

Hello.

Is it so that wow is about to not be compatible with Windows 7 anymore?

Sometimes my game just crashes with the following Windows error screen :

“The program can’t start because api-ms-win-core-com-l1-1-0.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem.”

And often this happens when i exit the game (the game crashes on exit, and addon data isnt stored).

it can also happen when i enter a different zone or open a UI element.

this can happen 2 times a day or not for several days (not counting the exiting game thing that happens often).

Now the file that i’m asked to install " api-ms-win-core-com-l1-1-0.dll" was not added to windows until Windows 8, and there is no way to update or add it to Windows 7…

Now by searching forums on EU and US i found a thread where a dude had done more research on the subject…

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/api-ms-win-core-com-l1-1-0dll-is-missing-error-during-waking-shore-quests/1332681

And it seems it a coding issue and in his case it was on the Dragonflight Beta, but im getting this error for a few weeks (months?) now on on Retail Shadowlands…

So to the Blues, is this something Blizzard intends to fix??? Or are u planing to just change the game requirements to “Windows 8 or newer”?

I don’t know the official requirements for Dragonflight, I just want to point out, that a game developer can’t keep supporting what is now an antiquated operating system, for all eternity.

Windows 7 is currently supported, although Win 10 is recommended.

My suggestion, initially, is to disable all of your addons and reset your user interface. See if that helps - if so, this is likely an addon issue. You can see how to do this here:

Currently Windows 7 is still supported and we have no information about this support being removed in the future. Looking into the crashes you’ve sent, they’re not looking good. It could be an issue with the driver, so removing and reinstalling the driver could help. To remove it, you can use a program called Display Driver Uninstaller. Download the current driver before running the programm again though.

Im currently on windows 10 and earlier today when i tried to start battle net i suddenly got a random message that it failed to start due to a dll file that randomly had gone missing. and now i have another strange issue on 3 of 4 chars so far upon log in my chars has been auto queued to brewfest dungeon and then auto accepts the invite when it pops then after the boss dies it auto leaves the dungeon.

Thought i would write this update on the situation.

About a week ago i noticed that every time the game crashed with the “.dll is missing” thing the battle.net client download manager would start to update ether wow, wow ptr, wow classic, wow DF beta, wow classic beta or any of the other Blizz games i have…

So i change the Game installation setting from “Game specific setting” (i have some turned off, some on manual and most WoW on auto), to “Never automatically apply updates” so no game updates, and client doesn’t look for updates.

Now i manually have to apply all updates, but WoW has not crashed for a week!!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.