World of Warcraft Shadowlands lore

I am a big fan of World of Warcraft lore,but since i bought Shadowlands not to long ago I find the lore very out of context.I mean that Shadowlands bring many new things in the game like afterlife,but there are only 5 places to go as a spirit.I remember that in Legion we had Valhalla,the afterlife of the warrior,I can’t understand why is not an afterlife in Shadowlands.
Can someone explaine to me?

There are more afterlives than we are seeing in the expansion, we are just journeying to the “main” ones, those that have a titan-esque figure as their leader.

I don’t remember if this explanation was in the game or from a dev.

There are meant to be thousands of realms to send the dead from all over the cosmos … but it’s Activision so they’re cheap and lazy so we get what we got and we have to like it.

You’re not wrong though, it is a semi-afterlife of sorts albeit more of a pocket dimension like the elemental planes. Same goes for it’s antithesis the realm of Helheim.

If I remember bits of the Lore correctly, the titan keeper Odyn peered into the Shadowlands at some point and saw Bastion. Afterwards he wanted to create an equivalent with his Valajar & Val’kyr made in the Kyrian’s image.

That said, since they’re both places that souls go to after they die, I’m not sure if they’re ever alluded to as being fully fledged afterlives or mere mockeries of one.

Datamined text from the next patch suggest that there is a link between the Arbiter and the machine that makes afterlives, and if the Arbiter wills it it can create a tailor made afterlife just for you. That plus the fact that afterlives are essentially created by a machine would make all of them mockeries, so theres that. Everything is 3D printed.

1 Like

Very true, it makes the whole setup feel very inorganic and provides more cold and calculated setting instead. That said, there is a distinction still to be made as to whether the pocket dimension realms created by the titan keepers (Halls of Valor & Helheim) can be considered afterlives at all, or are they more like a sort of limbo instead. As far as we know, they’ve been kept mostly segregated from the machine of Death and separate from Oribos. Not sure if it’s an oversight or intended.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.