World of Warcraft: The Social MMO... But Only If You Like Queuing with Strangers

Ah, World of Warcraft. The MMO where players used to form actual communities, join guilds, make friends, and, you know, talk to each other. But then, Blizzard thought, “Hey, why don’t we throw all of that away with a lovely little thing called the Dungeon Finder?” Now, instead of forming groups through effort and communication, you just hit a button and, voilà! You’re magically paired with four random strangers who you’ll never speak to again.

Remember the days when running a dungeon meant walking up to the entrance? Or, dare I say, actually talking to people to form a group? Nah, too much work, right? Let’s just teleport you directly to the dungeon with zero interaction and remove any sense of world immersion. Because, clearly, walking to the dungeon was the part people hated about dungeons. The nerve.

Of course, Blizzard calls this “convenience.” What it actually means is, “We’re just going to strip away any reason to engage with others in our massively multiplayer online game.” Want to make a friend or find a guild? Nope, here’s a few people you’ll never see again. But hey, at least the queue is fast, right?

And let’s talk about the delightful player behavior the Dungeon Finder has nurtured. Blizzard’s brilliant system has now gifted us the joys of toxic, entitled players who think they’re gods because they outgeared everyone else by a single ilvl. Pull a mob by mistake? Prepare for a verbal lashing from some keyboard warrior with nothing better to do. Need a second to breathe between pulls? Too bad! Someone’s already flaming you in chat while speed-running like their life depends on it.

But don’t worry, when someone rage quits or kicks you for no reason, just queue again. The magic of anonymity! Because why not encourage the worst kind of behavior when no one has to face consequences or accountability? After all, who cares if you’re toxic when you’ll never see these people again? Blizzard sure doesn’t!

Thanks, Blizzard, for turning what used to be a social adventure into a glorified single-player experience with background NPCs—err, I mean players. What’s next? Raiding through an app? Oh wait… that’s probably coming too.

But hey, at least we’re saving precious seconds by not having to interact with anyone. Because that’s why we all play MMOs, right? To not talk to people. And to deal with absolute jerks in every random dungeon. Truly, a winning combination.

Great job, Blizzard. Keep making WoW as “multiplayer” as possible. I can’t wait to see how you “streamline” the social aspect next! Maybe just remove chat altogether and replace it with a “Nice DPS, Bro” button?

15 Likes

Dungeon finder has been out for 10 years plus,

I think it’s about time you got over it.

I suppose you want everyone to start running to dungeons on foot too?

23 Likes

Response:

Ah yes, the classic “it’s been 10 years, just get over it” argument. Because obviously, the passage of time magically fixes bad design choices, right?

And yes, actually, I would love for people to start running to dungeons again—crazy, I know! Imagine a world where you have to gasp interact with others, maybe even have a conversation, and experience the game world Blizzard spent years creating. But nah, let’s just fast-track everything so we can queue up, silently run through a dungeon, and never speak to anyone. Much more “immersive.”

Maybe you’re perfectly fine with WoW turning into a glorified matchmaking simulator, but some of us miss the days when the game actually felt like a community and not just a queue fest with a side of toxic behavior.

But hey, if you’re happy with the way things are, more power to you. I guess enjoying meaningful social interaction in an MMO is a bit too much to ask for these days.

3 Likes

You still have to manually form m+ groups and at least 2 players have to go to the dungeon to summon the lazy ones who sit in the capital. Also no one kicks anyone from m+.

I am done with LFD for good. I did one Heroic in TWW just to see what all the fuss was about.

3 Likes

Gonna be real, this is a you problem. It’s entirely possible to join an actual community where people talk and do content together. Dungeon Finder is good for what it’s designed for; getting you into content when you happen to have nobody to do it with at the moment. If you base your experience solely on LFG and completely overlook the social part of the game, then it’s on you.

11 Likes

Times change

1 Like

Ah, the good ol’ “manual” M+ argument. Sure, you manually form M+ groups… and then what happens? Half the group sits in the capital, waiting for someone else to do the “boring” work of getting to the dungeon and summoning them, because heaven forbid people actually engage with the world outside of a city.

And while we’re at it, let’s not pretend M+ is some paragon of civility. Sure, no one kicks anyone in M+, but that’s probably because most groups disband the second someone makes a mistake or people start throwing tantrums when the timer’s looking shaky. Or maybe we’ve all just gotten so numb to the toxic behavior that it doesn’t even phase us anymore.

I get that you’re done with LFD and only did one heroic in TWW, but for some of us, it’s not about being done with it—it’s about wishing the game didn’t have to rely on systems that actively degrade player interaction. Glad you enjoyed your brief visit to Heroic land, though! I’m sure that one dungeon was the perfect representation of why the community has issues with LFD.

But hey, enjoy your summoning duty in M+, I guess?

2 Likes

Why would anyone go through the needless effort of organizing a group from a guild/community when the content is so short and trivial that literally any 5 people can finish it

In some games traveling and distance have a purpose, like trade, economy and world PvP. In WoW they don’t.
“But they’re fun and immersive!”
Sure, a few times. How many times do I need to spam one dungeon to get the loot I want? 50 you say?

1 Like

I love the idea that I just need to join some magical “real community” where people chat, hold hands, and run dungeons together like it’s still 2008. Right, because guilds and communities are totally bursting with players these days and not just glorified chat rooms for a handful of people AFKing in the main city.

Sure, Dungeon Finder is “good” for what it’s designed for: getting you into content quickly when you’re flying solo. But let’s not pretend it hasn’t helped create this culture where no one has to interact with anyone anymore. Why bother saying “hi” when you can just speed through, grab your loot, and never see those people again? Real bonding experience there.

And yeah, I get it, I don’t base my whole experience on LFG. The point is, LFD and its cousins have slowly chipped away at the social fabric of this game, turning what used to be an actual community into a random lineup of strangers who don’t give a damn about anyone else.

But sure, let’s pretend everything’s peachy. If you’re cool with WoW becoming “MMO lite,” more power to you. I’ll just be over here missing the days when social interaction wasn’t some optional side quest.

2 Likes

Then here’s an idea,

Go play classic

3 Likes

What do you want me to tell you, my dude? Maybe I’m some kind of special case, because since SL I’ve had alts in three different guilds that are all nice and social, with very little magic involved.

:woman_shrugging:

3 Likes

Ah, I see we’re at the “why put in effort when literally anyone can do it” stage of the debate. Fair point, I guess. Why even bother having guilds or communities at all, right? Just queue up, hit a button, and let the random lottery of warm bodies carry you through trivial content. Because clearly, the real MMO experience is about blazing through content with zero communication or cooperation. Riveting stuff.

And sure, traveling in WoW has no “purpose.” Why explore a world when you can just fast-track straight to the loot? Who needs immersion or a sense of place when you can just teleport around like it’s an arcade game? Totally gets the blood pumping, doesn’t it?

But hey, you’re right—it’s so much fun running the same dungeon 50 times for that one drop. The real thrill comes from mindlessly repeating the content like a machine. Why have any sense of adventure when you can just optimize your loot grind and skip all the boring “game world” stuff?

Look, if you’re fine reducing the game to loot-chasing and speed runs, that’s your call. Some of us just miss when WoW felt like more than a slot machine you pull 50 times in a row, hoping for a shiny new toy. But hey, to each their own, right?

4 Likes

In old wow people also wait to get summoned to a dungeon, and they don’t run together. They meet in the dungeon entrance after running there for 30 minute each, if they don’t have a warlock in group.

Classic is what you want. Have fun there

2 Likes

Classic is great for nostalgia, sure. But suggesting I go play a version of the game that’s literally 15 years old just because I’d like a little more effort and community in my dungeons today feels like a bit of a stretch.

I’m not asking for us to go back to grinding in Blackrock Depths for six hours. I’m just saying it wouldn’t kill the game to put some value on teamwork and the world they’ve built. But hey, if you want retail to stay a queue simulator, more power to you. I guess I’ll go dust off my Classic install and “get over it.”

3 Likes

Good, that’s the experience you’re looking for.

The social aspect is still here if you can’t find it, that’s a you issue.

1 Like

I don’t engage in self delusion. I’d love to play a game you’re describing (I actually have, some games still achieve that atmosphere -more or less), but if WoW had followed the design that facilitates it, it would’ve died long ago.
And the way I know that is because if classic would still be successful today, you’d be playing it instead of complaining here about retail.

Good, so that’s the experience you’re after. If you genuinely believe the social aspect is still thriving, despite the majority of interactions being limited to silent dungeon runs and quick loot grabs, that’s on you.

The reality is that the Dungeon Finder and similar tools have fundamentally altered the nature of player interaction in WoW. The ease of forming random groups and the ability to instantly join content without any meaningful communication has led to a significant decline in genuine social interaction. This isn’t just a subjective view; it’s a documented shift in how players engage with the game.

If you think that the remnants of social interaction that exist now are enough, that’s your perspective. But don’t ignore the fact that many players feel this system has eroded the sense of community and teamwork that was once central to the MMO experience.

2 Likes

Times have changed.

I agree that guilds nowadays are basically a raid group that doesn’t disband when you log off, but the kind of communities you’re wishing for exist in sandbox-style mmo-s that don’t revolve around content with player caps.