Worth getting BFA for PvP?

Classic has brought me back to thinking about WoW after a long hiatus (Cata was the last time I played properly).

I have fond memories of how great PvP was in vanilla so I may just stick to classic but I also have some pretty cool characters on retail with great transmogs and mounts so I wanted to at least see whether BFA would be worth a shot.

I would really appreciate it if someone could give me a steer as to whether BFA might be for me based on my likes/dislikes!

• Random Battlegrounds
  • wPvP (both solo and grouped)
  • Organised wPvP (I’m thinking Wintergrasp and Tol Barad here)
  • Slightly slower-paced combat where the difference between good and bad players is more nuanced and tactical (timing, reading the opponent etc.)
  • Active PvP community with people willing to group for fun (not just for grinding ratings)

Dislikes:

• Arena
  • Needing to do arena to gear
  • Huge differences in performance between medium and min-maxed gear (meaning the fun only starts once you’re fully-geared)
  • Convoluted, RNG-based mechanics for gearing
  • Too many abilities, ccs, cc-breaks, teleports etc. making combat a noisy flurry of button mashing

I would consider myself semi-casual as I can probably manage c.10 hours a week consistently.

Based on that, what do you think? Would I have a good time with BFA?

1 Like

Nope, you wouldn’t like it. Main reasons to do BfA pvp is for arenas and fast-paced combat. WPvP does exist, but it’s often ruled by gear and you’ll get one-shot by someone who plays more often. On top of that, there is rarely a fair 1v1 fight in the open world, you’ll have players from either side join in and help their faction. People camp WQ spots with groups to kill players for their weekly call to arms.

Due to flying, people would rather avoid wpvp scenarios rather than take them head on. There are very rarely any 40 vs 40 massive wpvp events, I haven’t been a part of one, and even if there was something like that going on, your experience would be diminished by the constant lag that happens whenever more than 40 people do things at one place.

There are some positives too: if you like complete carnage when doing WQ’s and people fighting each other around every corner, you could actually enjoy it. I went to one particular cave to do a magni wq, and it was FULL of skeletons. Literally a sea of skeletons inside that cave. It was a bloodbath. And it’s not like one faction dominated the cave either, people just killed each other when fighting over mobs.

In instanced PvP like random BG’s the importance of gear is not that huge. Better gear helps, but even someone who is freshly dinged 120 can kill someone who has mythic level gear in BG’s. It comes down to skill. If you only plan on gearing through PvP, it is very RNG based however, and without stepping a foot into rated PvP, you’ll be stuck with scraps. Gearing is easy if you’re willing to do other content, though. Also, azerite pieces tend to break cc very often if you have random dmg proc traits selected.

Well, you’re free to draw your conclusions from my post. I cannot be sure whether or not you’d like it, but to me it seems like there are a lot more things that you wouldn’t like than there are things that you would. That being said, there are some positives for you as well.

2 Likes

I come to agree with most of what Papudeath says in their post, it’s pretty correct just one point I need to point out.

Somebody who is fresh 120 will never take down a Mythic geared player unless heavily assisted, infact depending on the class you are likely to get 1-2 hit and frankly will be a liability to your whole team in any random bg you que for at max level.

Unlike previous expansions, PvP is an ineffective way of gearing for BGs, more so if you lack an interest in Arenas. PvE is the dominant way to gear, it offers the best equipment and is faster to obtain.

Random bgs are a strange beast at the moment, it’s incredibly unbalanced depending on the gear you and your team attempt to bring in, it’s actually a far better experience in lower leveled bgs if you want a fair fight without several weeks (at least) of farming content and upgrading your necklace.

That said, it’s still enjoyable but the state of BGs, in my humble opinion, has been far better in previous expansions, albeit very similar because gear is always an issue, I say this because you simply must PvE if you want to be competitive even in a random BG and not a hinderance.

That’s really helpful feedback, thank you!

Sounds like wPvP is somewhat dead besides the odd bit of ganking but what you were saying about gear not affecting instanced PvP is interesting. Is there a good BG scene atm?

Also, can you get PvP gear from PvE? I hate arena but have no issue doing a few dungeons or raids to get my gear if needed.

1 Like

Well, PvP gear and PvE gear are basically the same thing now. The only thing that separates them is where you got them from. PvP gear doesn’t give you extra stats or any extra benefit in PvP when compared to PvE, it’s just an alternative way of getting gear.

A lot of people do BG’s, I guess it’s fun content if you enjoy it. If you want to do RBG’s there’s also a lot of groups for those. Normal BG’s just by themselves won’t really give you any meaningful gear, they’re mostly for getting your conquest cap each week + some honor. Also some people do them so they can unlock their essences. I’m not sure what you would qualify as a “good” bg scene, but it’s lively enough.

That all sounds reasonably OK tbh. Gear up quick in some PvE, gear isn’t too influential in PvP and there are people running groups in BGs? I could get on board with that.

I notice you didn’t mention the ‘war mode’ that was advertised when the game released that was supposed to be the new Wintergrasp. Is it not any good?

Oh, that’s just the open world pvp mode, PvP servers were removed and that’s the substitute for it. You turn warmode on and it’s like playing on a PvP server, you get some extra rewards for an incentive to turn it on and can use your pvp talents in the open world. It’s cross-realm.

Classic PvP is better if you don’t mind Giga Unbalance across classes.

classic have epic pvp in hillsbrad and SVT! i killed 30 people so far i have a document of all and my level

Is good fun the people that moan are crybabies. In general its fun for me

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.