Worth upgrading?

Hey there

Thinking of returnign to WoW to play with some friends. Will mostley play PvP (Arena). But some m+ and raids occasionally. Don’t play any other games.

Can you guys please help me decided if it’s worth upgrading my system.

My current spec is:
i7 2600k (4 core/8 threads) OC at 4,7 GHz
16GB DDR3 clocked at 1600MHz
GeForce GTX 960
SSD(1) for OS and programs
SSD(2) for Games (Wow)

Im looking at a Ryzen 5 3600 with a RTX 2070, 16GB DDR4 (2666MHz), M.2 nvme storage. Have anyone done a similar upgrade, is it worth it or just a waste of money? Remember, I only play WoW

Thanks in advance

First observation is that your original storage setup is a good one… good, but worthy of an upgrade; the Games drive should even work fine in an upgraded system.

NVMe as a (system) drive won’t necessarily give you a massive increase in speed, over S-ATA SSD; they’re more (realistically) for ‘hiding’ the drive/less cable clutter… budget will be the decider.

Ryzen 5 3600 is a good value sweet-spot CPU; I’m using the same CPU in my system & while it comes with a heat-sync & fan, an aftermarket one (Noctua or be quiet! make good units) will be a good buy & a fair bit quieter (under load) too. You will get better performance from 3200Mhz RAM and probably better value, too… 16GB is a sound quantity too, for most current use cases.

As far as the 2070, what resolution are you planning to play at?
For 1080p (1920x1080) you would be better off with a 1660.
For 1440p (2560x1440) you may find a 2060, even the Super variant, a better value option.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.