WoW and GeForce Now game streaming

What’s the current status of playing WoW via GeForce Now streaming? I’ve read how it was taken down, some people got banned for playing it that way but now it’s back up in GFN catalogue. Is it officially playable?

The use of GeForce Now for playing World of Warcraft is bannable, and yes they really will ban you for it.

Its quite clear in the Terms of Service.

then I’m curious why they added it back. Like what’s going on with Nvidia here?

That is something you’d have to take up with GeForce themselves. I just checked the EULA, to see if it had been altered to permit GeForce Now.

It hasn’t been changed.

Even with the final release of GeForce Now?

1 Like

I’ve looked at the EULA and I think this could do with some clarification from Blizzard. I believe the paragraph that concerns this is section 1 -> C -> v.

1. The Platform.
    C. License Limitations. Blizzard may suspend or revoke your license to use the Platform, or parts, components and/or single features thereof, if you violate, or assist others in violating, the license limitations set forth below. You agree that you will not, in whole or in part or under any circumstances, do the following:
    v. Cloud Computing: Use the Platform, including a Game, in connection with any unauthorized third-party “cloud computing” services, “cloud gaming” services, or any software or service designed to enable the unauthorized streaming or transmission of Game content from a third-party server to any device.

This does imply that there could exist a list of authorised third-party “cloud computing/ cloud gaming” servies.

Searching around the internet I see that many ppl have apparently been banned for using GFN, but can’t find any specific posts from Blizzard actually specifying if GFN is authorised or un-authorised. Most blue posts just refer back to the EULA which as we can see is less than clear as mud on this point.

What we really need from Blizz is answers to the following;

1. Are there any authorised third-party “cloud computing/ cloud gaming” services that can be used with WoW?

2. If so who are they?

Surely somebody at Blizzard should be able to answer these questions - presumably the same people who decide on bans at the least…

2 Likes

Blizzard Forum Moderators do not comment on legal interpretations, language or anything of that kind.

They aren’t lawyers, aren’t paralegals, or in any way legally trained.

Appreciate that, but where else are such questions supposed to be asked other than Customer Support?

They could ask the lawyers/paralegals/whoever else is responsible for a response. After all someone at Blizzard must have given whoever implements the bans precise guidelines on this issue - why can’t they share that with the wider community?

1 Like

They don’t give straight yes or nos since situations can change. If they approve a software, and it later on gets changed to be a breach of the EULA - they would have approved it. Thats why the EULA is vague and leaves a lot of room to interpret.

But if they’re not prepared to say which services are authorised how can someone like the OP know if they’re breaking the EULA or not?

I would suggest that by any reasonable legal standard they can’t. Does that then open Blizzard up to potential claims for damages caused by unreasonable denial/ witholding of service in cases where bans are made, because of the lack of clarity around this in the EULA?

1 Like

Like it was reported that Blizzard pulled down wow from GFN but not so long ago it got re-added - so is it with blizz consent or not, they should know and give a statement, especially when nvidia is using battlenet in their official materials.

there is no conformation if it still bannable besides the current eula which says unathorized cloud services are prohibited dont know if nvidia falls under that now since nvidia must have asked blizz to use the bnet launcher but I’d stay away from it till there is an update to this

It should be obvious with two questions.

Is it a cloud service?

Is it listed as an authorised service if it is?