WoW Classic screen flickering

Ok have tried to play Classic but there seems to be a really annoying problem that isn’t occurring when i play retail, There seem to be a frequent annoying screen flickering issue… I have looked at AMDs Wattman and there seems to be an issue with the GPU/GPU memory speeds being all over the place where as they are stable on retail. I have tried windowed mode and enabling vsync neither of which did anything. Anyone have any other ideas as there seems to be a lot of people complaining about this going by a quick google search… Tried to link an image of the gpu monitoring screen but this forum no longer allows that it seems…

7 Likes

Someone was saying swapping to dx11 solved it for them, give it a try?

Don’t seem to even have this option? also i’m using windows 7 so is dx12 even available in that OS?

1 Like

I’ve got the same issue. It can be made a tiny bit better or a lot worse by changing on your Anti - Aliasing and Render scale. Genuenly think I’m gonna get a seizure just looking at the flickering.

3 Likes

Mine is doing this too! Even logging into the client makes the screen flicker normal to black uncontrollably. I can run BFA on ultra but I can’t run classic on anything

3 Likes

Bumping this, not playable like this. Retail is fine

1 Like

I have to join this and say I have the same issue. Game is close to unplayable due to extreme flickering. I have systematically gone through all GFX settings… Doesnt seem to help/change anything.

2 Likes

It would help if you stated which build version of windows(exactly) AND which video driver you are using.

In the meantime you should make sure that no apps are running in your system tray. Any overlay apps are closed (discord/msi afterburner). Also disable or uninstall Radeon overlay/Geforce Experience.

Another thing to try is find the Wow.exe for classic. Right click and select properties. Compatibility. Tick Disable full-screen optimisations. Click Change High DPI settings. Tick the high dpi scaling override at the bottom, set to application. (This really should have no effect on this issue but try it anyway)

One last thing you could test is to disable Control Flow Guard in Windows Exploit Protection settings. https://www.thewindowsclub.com/control-flow-guard-windows If this has no effect on the bug, turn it back on. Again, I doubt this will fix the flickering in this case but it has been proven to have a negative impact on a few pieces of software.

4 Likes

That worked for me! Even let me change the settings ingame afterwards. Thank you for your great help!

Bumping for awareness. The flickering is mad annoying. Tried suggested fixes to no avail.

Playing on a gsync monitor @120hz, drivers and windows fully updated.

Same problem for me, windows 10 , Ultrawide @ 3440x1440 100 hz, latest ge force drivers. Mad flickering, only in wow classic. Tried changing many settings to no avail.

What solved this flickering issue so far for me was to enable Vertical sync from Graphics settings

10 Likes

None of the above works for me. It happened several times now. Sometimes I get it sometimes not… tried all of the above with no success.

@Blizz, how about it?

1 Like

Same thing here for me. Wow Classic, latest win10, latest nvidia drivers, tried almost everything suggested, nothing happens.

1 Like

Found the solution for me. From Main Menu | System | Advanced check that your graphics card is selected. In my case it had been set to Auto Detect but wasn’t picking up my Nvidia card.

11 Likes

Same problem here, however game was fine until 5.12.2019 came back from holidays yesterday and now its unplayable. Retail works, classic flickers. Playing on a Lenovo Z50 with a Nvidia 840M (2GB), driver version 441.66, and win 10 professional. Got a weard message when launching the game, saying hardware has changed, letting me choose between the default settings and no action. Reset everything and configured it, and mentioned fixes here did not help as well.

I had the same problem, it was nearly unplayable. I just changed to windowed and back to fullscreen afer that. Also enabled vertical sync, now it works like a charm. Hope this helps.

I am playing on iGPU. I had to set AA at least to low and post-process at least to low and it fixed it

I don’t know if anyone still suffers from this issue, but I did and what solved it for me was changing from a displayport to hdmi cable. 2560x1440 @144hz