Wow crashes #132 Access Violation

My World of Warcraft crashes periodically with an access violation. It’s always a read error that tries to read from 0xffffffffffffffff:

The instruction at “0x00007ff7abcf8a37” referenced memory at “0xffffffffffffffff”.
The memory could not be “read”.

The error keeps occurring after a fresh install of Windows and World of Warcraft.

Here are the pastebin codes for the msinfo, dxdiag and txt file from the wow error folder:

msinfo: 4RHmQxHe
dxdiag: WDUcPAQj
error: LXbdJ55i

What can I do to prevent future crashes?

1 Like

Hello Shelve,

I’m sorry to read about the crashes. To sort try the following:

1. Open your World of Warcraft folder (typically found in C:\Program Files (x86)\World of Warcraft)
  2. Find the WTF folder and open it
  3. Open Config.wtf in Notepad (if you don’t know how to do this: right-click on it, select Open With… and then choose Notepad from the list of applicable programs)
  4. Find these lines:
  5. SET gxWindow “1”
  6. SET gxMaximize “1”
  7. Change the 1’s to 0’s
  8. Hit Ctrl-S or File/Save As

Run the game see if it works, in which case you will also need to ensure your World of Warcraft and Blizzard app client are always Run as Admin.

Also you may want to remove the programs listed here and see if the situation is sorted:
MSI Nahimic Surround Sound
TradeSkillMaster
Plays tv

If the problem persists please try running a scandisk & defrag on your HD to solve any conflicts, clusters or corrupted segments.

Thanks for your reply. I’ve changed the Config.wtf file as you suggest. It puts my game in windowed mode.

I’ve adjusted the wow shortcut to start in administrative mode (properties -> compatibility -> run this program as an administrator)

Nahimic Surround Sound is the motherboard sound driver for my motherboard (" B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC"). It is required to play sound.

I’ve run a memory diagnostic (Memtest86) it doesn’t report errors.

What do you mean by “Plays tv” ? How would running in Windowed mode, or as administrator, help prevent crashes?

Another crash occurred just now:

The instruction at “0x00007ffc95383c38” referenced memory at “0x0000000000000028”.
The memory could not be “read”.

Crash pastebin: qPFBMFRv

Wow is running as administrator (Task Manager shows Elevated = Yes.)

How can I find the cause of these crashes?

Hey Shelve,

The error you are getting with the crashes can be caused by many different issues, the suggested are steps that usually help sort the issue or identify the cause of the crashes.

MSI Nahimic Surround Sound - Has Sound Tracker overlay and may cause display issues, crashes, and can block voice chat so check in the Nahimic settings for the overlay and disable it

Sometimes the crashes are triggered by alt-tabbing while in fullscreen so running in windowed helps to see if that is the cause.

Please try and remove TradeSkillMaster program as well and after that do a full UI reset as explained here

If nothing helps check this general guide for the error you are getting and do the steps that you haven’t tried yet.

1 Like

I started to get this error when I downloaded an update for my graphics card. So I did a fresh install of my graphics driver and the problem seems to have gone. Every so often it still does it, but it was like that before anyway.

I’ve had a similar issue twice over the past couple days now as well, if I recall correctly it also started after the latest Nvidia graphics driver update (451.67). One was an error, the other was a crash.

This application has encountered a critical error:

ERROR #123 (0x8510007b) This memory block has been corrupted by an out-of-bounds memory write.

Program: C:\Program Files (x86)\World of Warcraft_retail_\Wow.exe
ProcessID: 11816
ThreadID: 11820

Memory corrupted – delete -1

<Exception.IssueType> Exception
Crash
Exception.Summary:
ERROR #123 (0x8510007b) This memory block has been corrupted by an out-of-bounds memory write.
Memory corrupted – delete -1

This application has encountered a critical error:

ERROR #132 (0x85100084) Fatal exception!

Program: C:\Program Files (x86)\World of Warcraft_retail_\Wow.exe
ProcessID: 9764
ThreadID: 12084
Exception: ACCESS_VIOLATION

The instruction at “0x00007ffba7640000” referenced memory at “0x00007ffba7640000”.
The memory could not be “executed”.

<Exception.IssueType> Exception
Crash
Exception.Summary:
ACCESS_VIOLATION
(DBG-OPTIONS DBG-ADDR<00007ffbb9fa7720>(“graphics-hook64.dll”) <- DBG-ADDR<00007ff78fc2acff>(“Wow.exe”) <- DBG-ADDR<00007ff79066562d>(“Wow.exe”) DBG-OPTIONS<>)
The instruction at “0x00007ffba7640000” referenced memory at “0x00007ffba7640000”.
The memory could not be “executed”.
<:Exception.Summary>

2 Likes

Hi there!

While the advice and/or information given in an older thread could have been accurate at the time, it may be now be outdated or a reply to an old thread could be overlooked. For these reasons please avoid ‘necro’ posting. If you have a similar issue and the advice previously given hasn’t helped then please create a new thread with all relevant information.

Yours,

Arythwinn

Locking as it was necro’d from January.