Wow giving a stutter effect when I alt + tab

Hey guys,
So I bough a new Laptop preparing my self to rejoin the wow community installed wow classic & retail.
After a day or two of using the laptop while gaming and alt tabing the game start to give some micro blackouts stuttering image.
Kinda like this effect : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mzsLL32hHg
I tried everything i saw on youtube but no matter what its giving the same effect everytime i alt + tab.
Also if I turn on window mode it crashes the 3d and wow.exe closes.

My computer specs:

stem Model: Nitro AN515-54
BIOS: V1.01 (type: UEFI)
Processor: Intel(R) Core™ i5-9300H CPU @ 2.40GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.4GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 8040MB RAM
Page File: 10063MB used, 2639MB available
Nvidia GTX 1650 Graphic card

Anyone with the same problem? Any fix? Is it a laptop problem?

Only problem with videos like that is that they show you what to do,… but never tell you WHY you do it.

Might be that you’re a bit light on RAM (16GB might be better) or could be that you’re on wireless instead of wired network connection - I don’t know for certain, but those would be my main suspects.

This is wow classic not retail…

WoW Classic though uses the new engine that Retail uses though.

Few things.

1. Go into Bios and see if XMP is enabled, you may be running ram at it’s lowest speed. 2133mhz if DDR4 so 1066mhz pair dimm in the pair.

(AMD users should check D.O.C.P. and make sure that’s enabled to get their ram running at the right speed. Though for X470, don’t go above 3866mhz as it’s hit or miss if you ever get to 3600mhz.)

16gb could give you more option for the system to run WoW and any other background programs. This isn’t Vanilla client here, it’s still using a lot more cpu cycles/ram as retail does.

WoW is a heavy disk access game so, quickest drive you can put it on will see some improvement. PCIE4.0 NvME M2 > PCIE3.0 NvME M2 > Sata M2, Sata 2.5" SSD > 7.2k HDD > 5.6K HDD.

Fastest to slowest.

If you got a lot of background stuff going on then Windows with WoW running will use some virtual ram which is memory on disk. That’s not even going to be as fast as the slowest ram way back in DDR 1 days.

If you got Norton and that other pricey Anti-virus software you buy in the shops. Get rid of it, those two big name AV you buy in shops really do munch away at the CPU cycles and slow things down even with drive access. There are better alternatives out there that will speed things up a lot.

But with multitasking with WoW these days. 16gb’s is the sweet spot for it and is becoming the recommended spec for games slowly anyways. 8gb is basically basic specs.

Many reasons could slow it down to make it stall like that.

Wired is always better than wireless for gaming, WiFi can get a bit iffy if say another router in the nearby area manages to broadcast on same channels.

My advice is to slowly make a list and go through it until you eliminate everything until you find out what is slowing the PC down enough to make it stutter in such a way.

But lastly, WoW does not like to be on a drive that has another extensive drive usage process going on at the same time. (game recording, virtual ram, drive being scanned by anti-virus.) Do a manual scan of WoW folder and then add it to exclusions so it’s not doing realtime scanning on those files all the time. It really does affect performance.

Many things can help improve performance in the game. I’ve given a few to try out at least. Oh and defrag your HDD as well, that can help also.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.