WOW live not launching, PTR and classic working fine

As title states, the live version of the game will not launch anymore. Version 8.2.0.31429.

After doing a completely fresh install of both battlenet AND the game, it still refuses to launch. I am however able to launch through PTR and classic normally and play the game there.

Steps I’ve tried:
-Deleting interface and WTF folder and repairing
-Deleting Blizzard and Battlenet folders in %programdata%
-Completely uninstalling battlenet and WOW, reinstalling both
-Running wowlauncher and wow.exe in retail in win8 compatibility mode
-Running battlenet and wowlauncher as admin

Out of ideas at this point. My GPU drivers are up to date, I don’t have any 3rd party antivirus programs, only windows defender.

After trying to run WOW through the .exe located in retail, I am greeted with this error message:

Windows cannot find ‘…_retail_\Wow.exe’ . Make sure you typed the name correctly and try again.

Any ideas?

Good morning Elmashaooz,

I can see you tried a few steps already, please try the additional ones here as well.

Kind regards

What’s your opinion?

Hi and thank you for your reply, the link you posted directs me to a video unavailable page on youtube.

I also tried netsh winsock reset this morning, still no luck.

Hello again,

That is weird indeed. Does this link work for you?

Kind regards

What’s your opinion?

Yes, that link works and I have already followed all the steps listed there. Including running windows in selective startup mode and attempting to launch the game with 0 background apps running.

I think the error message I get when I try to launch from the .exe is the clue here, but I have no idea how to fix it.

I’ve tried moving the entire game to a different directory and locating it again through bnet, still no luck.

Could you please post a DXDiag and MSInfo here? If the data is too big to be posted on the forum directly, you can use a page like pastebin.com and post the link to it here then.

Kind regards

What’s your opinion?

Can’t include links in posts, replace (dot) with .
Dxdiag: pastebin(dot)com/qWBehqww
MSInfo: pastebin(dot)com/pLJ3ne8N

Hello again,

You might want to start by updating your Windows OS. Your Version is from April 2018 and there have been a few updates inbetween then and now.

Secondly, you seem to have cut out your Windows error report, most likely because it was too huge to be pasted. It would be important to see why it is that huge and what errors are in there.

Kind regards

What’s your opinion?

Hi,
if possible I’d like to keep the windows update as a very last resort, as people have been reporting reduced performances with newer windows versions for my chipset.

Here is the omitted windows error report pastebin(dot)com/k7ExxD45

I have since removed Cyberghost and the service, and completely cleaned the registry of any and all cyberghost entries.

Have you tried to update your chipset drivers though? Because I had a quick look and there seems to be one from 2019 while you are running one from 2018. I would say updating Windows should be done because you have quite a few LiverKernel events there.

Kind regards

What’s your opinion?

I believe my chipset drivers are up to date, I’ve only just updated them, but i will double-check. That being said, do you believe that may be the culprit?

Bear in mind Wow classic and wow ptr launch and work perfectly, and up until two days ago so did the live version.

It is possible, I mean, those crashes and error on your various programs do not come out of nowhere. Not saying it is 100% it, but we have to work step by step.

Kind regards

What’s your opinion?

Understandable, thank you for your advice. It will take me a bit to get everything updated though.

Do you think the error i get when I try to directly open wow.exe has any significance? It feels so out of place and odd

Have you checked manually that the folder is actually there?

Kind regards

What’s your opinion?

Yes of course. It’s there, i tried to manually launch it from there but it returned the not found error. The file path specified in the error was also correct, which made me even more confused.

I tried deleting the .exe and repairing, same result. Also tried moving the game to a different directory and locating it on bnet manually, still same error

And what happens when you just click “Play” on the app?

Kind regards

What’s your opinion?

The button switches to Launching for about 10 seconds, nothing happens and it goes back to play.

I double-checked and i have no background processes relating to world of Warcraft running

No multiple instances of “agent” for example running?

Kind regards

What’s your opinion?

There is only one instance of battlenet update agent running, and i would manually end the task before relaunching battlenet or attempting to launch the game

Hello Kiemmaki, I did a complete win10 repair and it has fixed the issue, I think it may have been something in the registry causing this, but it’s fixed now.

Thank you for your advice and help