Writer Christie Golden Let Go in Latest Round of Blizzard Lay-Offs

6 Likes

Sad. The only one who deserved to be fired was Madeleine Roux.

I enjoyed Christie’s books.

14 Likes

Ok, now I lost all faith for WoW lore becoming good again.

Sure, we still have Metzen. But Christie Golden is one of the best authors I know.

9 Likes

That’s terrible news. Christie Golden was present in Warcraft’s lore ever since first novels started pouring in. And their quality over time were becoming better and better.

Her latest book “Sylvanas” was her best work so far. For me personally not because of the plot, but because it is the closest thing that we get to cross section of an entire nation. That novel alone gave us better glimpse at how Thalassian Elves operated and what was their culture than all other previous media works combined.

A damn shame.

8 Likes

Surprised, while not everything was a hit for me… most of her work I enjoyed and I fear with her departure that things might go worse.

Without a doubt: a better person and writer than that Madeleine Roux one.
Also, classy Blizzard. Letting people go when they are going through something.

3 Likes

Blizz living their values to the full laying someone off at a time like that.

It wouldn’t have hurt them at all to see her through the tough patch. It just goes to show all their “value statements” and words are meaningless when these types of actions permeate the organisation.

6 Likes

I don’t understand this decision. Makes no sense.

9 Likes

She wasn’t writing lore anyway, mostly directed voice actors, wrote dialogue and songs.
But we could return to metzen’s on brand “nothing personnel kiddo” dialogue style, which is sad

Eh, she was (according to the WoWhead article) integral to the production of the BfA Cinematics, which were definitely all good. You can’t tell me they were bad.

Mind to elaborate?

3 Likes

I like golden, but yeah she herself said that she is mostly responsible for dialogue and not main plot points or story direction

Compare writing of conversation before BFA and after, like this is when golden started to write https://youtu.be/NDj2aaxixxo?si=pPZY4HJjtUxf_pkU

And this is legion’s “metzen style” writing https://youtu.be/Td0pUwrBWjc?si=VjtjIAC62zkFbtpV

Its just exchanging one liners with each other, each person in the room wants to sound more cool than other person

Oh, in that case… I will not have said anything. Christie is still very good at what she does. But if that one-liner writing is Metzens handwriting, I actually prefer his form of dialogue. It is more laconic.

2 Likes

“The drums of war thunder once again” , I hope they can bring back that atmosphere again. Where dragons are dragons, heroes are heroes, villains are villains, factions are factions, war is war! We will see how it will be in the next expansion.

5 Likes

The fact they kept gaslighting hypocritical trash like Madeleine Roux while letting go of Christie…

1 Like

Looking at the lore over the last few years i would replace all people that got involve with the lore. It has been going downhill ever since WoD. Far to mutch peacecraft going on and a lack of WARcraft of the past with serious fantasy themes. Everything these days is about jokes and making fun of the franchise.

2 Likes

That’s because clowns in colourful attire wearing kitty ear headbands and sparkle wands took over… you know the kind I’m referring to.

5 Likes

Blizzard has been a soulless entity for a long time. Shareholders are paramount.

Incredulous, what is this, some make-good on the quarterly profits? First the major layoffs, then Blizzcon gutted then also the writers?

Blizzard you’re not going further offend them by offering a freelancer contract right? I hope that if you do they accept it by taking 5 times the freelancer rate with benefits attached to it.

2 Likes

I mean, Christie Golden was behind writing the cinematics alongside Terran Gregory, and by the looks of it, not a lot of people actually enjoyed them. She can still be commissioned as an author for a book, given that’s how her history with Blizzard has been for a good chunk of her carreer.

What I mostly fear is who they’re going to end up replacing her. It can only get worse.

Freelancers? That’ll cost money… to cut corners they’ll go free fanfic!

1 Like

It makes Perfect sense.

Why keep writers on payroll when chat gpt can write quests for free.

3 Likes