Yellow Junkhopper - mechagon

The spawn rate on these is beyond ridiculous. I have been killing the frog population on the island to force the spawn since the patch went live and I’ve only seen one, which was accidentally killed by AOE.

The pet is in no way special like the Valkyr for example, it doesn’t even have an unique move set or anything. It’s just +1 towards the safari achievement.

Please adjust the spawn rate, this is sadistic.

edit: spawn rate for Duskytooth Snooter is just as horrible, he is spawned through a similar method as well

2 Likes

It took me ages to get this pet as well and I’m actually glad that it isn’t really easy to obtain. Just got to keep at it and earn it by perseverance/patience.
The pet is actually pretty interesting and has a niche in PVP so players have been using it. It’s probably one of the better performing wild pets I’ve used from 8.2 so far. Swarm of Flies into Feign Death is a solid combination.

1 Like

I liked when there used to be some rare pets, but

a) The idea of a rare pet you spawn by slaughtering its common variant is not fun

b) I wish it were in an area where I enjoyed being, like Grizzly Hills or Howling Fjord (ahhh, the days when I yearned for a Valk!)

So I haven’t bothered with the rare-variant species.

1 Like

I believe that with the number of pets added with last patch alone, no one took the time to design a unique pet that had both an optimal combination of abilities and stats. Most if not all imbalanced combinations have already been nerfed to the ground. Now we are just getting all the same moves that already exist, but changed to a different type of attack.

In MOP some of those were carefully designed, but with today’s numbers, pets have changed into nothing more than a collectors game. In the end I got one by flying around the island for six hours straight. Low spawns like this are completely unnecessary. There are some rares in Nazjatar but those are fixed on a location. It requires no effort and you don’t have any real competition with limited quantity since there are infinite shards/phases. It does not feel like an achievement when you catch it. It’s just a frustrating experience because they share spawn slots with a similar type of pet. They will not spawn on their own, they must be triggered through killing.

If this patch did anything right it encouraged players to try all aspects of the game, since even pet battles are rewarding in terms of reputation gain. Every end game activity feels rewarding (speaking of essences).

I DON’T KNOW, because I haven’t even collected them all and still don’t know the full range of breeds available, but my impression is that the current crop of wild pets is more carefully designed and more interesting than usual. Cetrainly, every time I pick a pet up, I seem to think “Oh, I could maybe use that”.

The number of pets is certainly a problem though; with so many pets, we are overlapping the same ground a lot.

I’d argue against the more carefully designed pets. The new Stratholme pet dungeon is more interesting and drastically faster than the previous ones, also feels much easier and noob friendly. Postmaster fight is a nice little secret (could have been a hidden achievement), and there’s also a world quest for Fras Siabi inside, who is much tougher than rest of the linear fights, he rewards an extra token which is also nice.

I won’t argue against being able to beat the dungeon with your pet pool consisting of 90% critters. It’s a fun experience and it’s good they didn’t make it as though as previous challenges.

It feels like they tried to attract more players into pet battling this patch rather than catering to experienced players. And they did a pretty decent job doing it. Most of the challenge pet battles in new zones are beatable with same 2 pets + a random filler.

I’d say that this last group of pets is far better than the rwl/children’s week offering that we had. Those pets were all trash even the best of those were the Kor’thik Swarmling a gimmicky pet at best and Scaley that has the poorly designed toxic bite. That was literally ticking a box collecting pets.
This batch of pets is fairly good tbh there’s some really strong pets. I know the PVE guys are all over the Skittering Chitterspine and the PVP guys all over Twilight Whelping. If you can’t see opportunities in the new pets too bad I guess it’s just gonna be me using them having all the fun against these Tcs’s.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.