Your definition of 'good rp'

I don’t think it’s a cop-out, but I do agree that it’s not related specifically to RP. There’s more nuance to it, definitely.

The point I was trying to make - and possibly what Kump was trying to make - is that there is no right/wrong in roleplay and there are many ways for it to be fun (and therefore, in my opinion, good).

I don’t think this is a fair comparison. They’re not roleplaying, so while it is fun/good, it isn’t fun/good roleplay. It’s slightly disingenuous to read the post without taking in the context of the topic at hand; having fun roleplaying and playing a character while not ruining anyone else’s fun roleplaying their own character might have been more appropriate, I suppose.

On this I disagree. Roleplay is a hobby and, at risk of repeating myself, the ultimate goal is to have fun - creating stories, engaging with others, and everything else that roleplay entails all comes back to this. Consequently, what you have fun doing in RP which creates fun for others is by my definition good.

Of course, there are exceptions - content that doesn’t fit the game and its terms (ERP & and extreme graphic violence come to mind), and forcing your style of play on someone who doesn’t care for it.

4 Likes

I have Carrot Cake.

Does that count?

1 Like

I’d add “providing fun” to this.

RP isn’t just you having fun, I think the other person(s) should enjoy themselves too with your RP. I usually go by the idea that when the person you are RPing with is having fun, then the RP is most likely good.

All people involved enjoying themselves is the benchmark of good RP, I think.

Definitely. People who only RP to rise above others are doing it wrong tbh.

And this.

1 Like

Surprises, I don’t like having everything on schedule.

The character(s) can plausibly exist as a concept in the setting

No godmoting or controlling other characters (Goes for DMs as well)

At least passable grammar (Odd slip ups are fine, even I do them. But typing in broken english is… not fun to read, sorry)

Willingness to explore eachother’s strengths, not just weaknesses (Make no mistake, weaknesses are important but I feel there’s a sense of fear or hesitance to roleplay as or with anyone that’s actually powerful, not Mary Sue powerful but just akin to a player class. It’s okay to be a ‘heroic’ character! If you do play one though, try to avoid head to head fights against other players to a minimum unless they achknowledge the power gap, if there is one, or play a heroic character themselves).

Be willing to ‘lose’ at least every so often (Per above, no matter how high on the heroic chart your character is, they shouldn’t be infalliable. Even lv20 DnD characters still have distinct weaknesses that can be exploited).

Willingness to consider more atypical but still very plausible concepts (God help anyone who decides to roleplay something even slightly against the norm for a race/class these days, I mean sure there’s a limit but when I first RP’d Dari apparently being a worgen in the Kirin Tor was too much for some people!)

The character(s) should actually be fun to be around, too many make some hyper edgelord or extremely hostile, angry character then pikachusurprised.jpg when people don’t want to hang out with them. (Not saying all characters need to be bundles of joy, but there’s a realistic point where most are just not going to want anything to do with someone going off the deep end)

Be one of the objectively best races in the game :cow::wolf:

Honestly, it is a delicate balance between having fun, suspension of disbelief and sticking true to the setting. I will 100% never advocate for (((roll to see if u catch pneumonia cuz ur stood in the rain))) level of roleplay, but people need to maintain some level of danger.

Ultimately roleplay is a co-operative experience and people need to meet half way.

I think what turns people off of these a lot is they become the characters identity and there’s little else to them.

Permanently angry, snarky or sarcastic characters are really not fun to RP with. I usually just brush them off. Grumpy and gruff is okay, though.

1 Like

Agreed. There needs to be something to engage with. I’m not going to invest my time in trying to get to know and understand a character if all they do is antagonise my own character; unsurprisingly I don’t roleplay social masochists.

1 Like

“GRRRR WHAT R U LOOKING AT?”

“Well fudge you too buddy, bye”

“WAITNOCOMEBACK! You’re supposed to be super interested in my dark, brooding backstory!”

3 Likes

Then again, not every character can or should be a wholesome, social and friendly guy. Where’s the character development in that?

1 Like

Heh, in LARP groups we call such characters “third stranger from the right”.

They usually don’t get that much RP done during the LARP.

Oh I don’t disagree. But that goes for anything pretty much, making your character orbit a single trait (“I’m strong/sexy/whatever”) isn’t a good idea. Though I do admit it’s by far the most common appearance of that problem.

And there’s the common issue where people leverage that strength over ‘average’ characters, but that’s why I said it’s better to avoid doing that altogether unless the other person has achknowledged and accepts the power gap, or you’re butting heads with someone on par with you. Then you can go wild and have a blast.

I mostly spoke regarding people who seem to loathe the idea that anyone is allowed to be overly heroic or powerful in a setting where a crap ton of people are… overly heroic or powerful. You don’t have to look far in media to find examples of characters that are beloved, have plenty of depth while also being very powerful. And in the same media no doubt find examples of that character still having weaknesses or having equals.

The only such character I really dislike is Superman. Who seems to be incapable of dying full stop. And when he does he just comes back two issues later. And people say Goku is bad for that…

Of course. I just mean that if a character is so antagonising to actively drive most people away, they’ll have a hard time RPing at all. These same people tend to then pout in gchat about how nobody wants to RP with them. Your character needs to have something for people to engage with. If you sit in a dark corner and refuse to engage, or actively spit venom at anyone who wants to interact, yeah, you shouldn’t be surprised when you look around and realise nobody wants to interact with your character.

You can be a sour, anti-social grump without putting people off RPing with you.

1 Like

Seems we agree. Extremes ofc are bad. Balance must exist.

^This.
And adding to it. When someone is able to just go along with what happens IC, without kicking up a fuss OOC about.

I think there are some things that are almost universally considered “bad RP” and some that are considered good

I think these are pretty obvious. I agree that most things are way less clear cut

As is every post I have ever made

I guess it depends what you define “good” as when you say “good RP” - do you mean good in terms of concept, in terms of how engaging a character is, how good a player’s OOC conduct is?

RP that you / the person you are RPing with both enjoy is at least good in some aspects for sure, but ultimately both players enjoying it means (IMO) that it was good in some other aspects already - so are both players enjoying it because its good or is it good because both people enjoy it?

Agree, I don’t RP my character getting owned by the common cold but I feel at least lip service should be played to various dangers. It’s just boring if you can tell people - for example - are in the mindset that they’re players attending an event where they paste NPCs played by their GM instead of trying to get into the mind of a character who may well be going off to their death

I get that some people want to avoid conflict RP / RP that lands them into trouble and want to do relaxing social RP and I respect that - my problem (pet peeve posting again) is people who do things that they must know will lead to the IC conflict / danger and then say " =P sorry… mate … [presses ¬ key and types in tgm quickly] but I don’t want you to react IC… just want more furnie for my habbo room" because they force the person they’re RPing with to break character to accommodate them

:arrow_up:

2 Likes

Well, Hello there, folks!

What is a definition of good role-play? Well, that is bit of a broad topic, but it really depends on the scenario and what you like.

I personally enjoy the ad hoc sort of role-play where you just jump into the fray and create the scenario as you go. Usually that is my method of crafting and fleshing out my character then perhaps write it down after extensive period of time when I feel the character has been created as I want it.

Now, I know there is plenty of methods how you can do it. Some folks write it out before they start roleplaying, some do extensive D&D styled characters with points, reactions, slots and what not. I do appreciate these and it’s nice way to approach role-play as well. Refreshing at times.

Regarding the whole debacle about Out of character and in character. It’s simple, really. We kill Batm- … I mean, it is simple, really. Anything that happens in character is in character. Anything that happens out of character is out of character. Don’t fiddle up those two.

If my character has a vengeance in mind, it doesn’t mean that I as a person would have any beef with you. That’s just silly. Our characters are just theatre anyways. Whole bunch of acting.

Anyhoo, keep it classy and fun. Don’t be a stiff would be my thoughts about role-play in overall.

Live long and prosper!

IC vs OOC separation is something I actually partially disagree with.
Mostly when it is about trust. Keeping IC and OOC separate is really hard sometimes.
Never know if it’s IC motivation or OOC motivations in some cases and I feel more comfortable going along with RP if I know the person behind the character.
A sad truth because in an ideal RP world, we’d all trust eachother without any positive or negative bias.

There’s certain things I’ll only do if I trust the other player (either OOC or through enough RP), like romance. I don’t really want to enable someone living vicariously through their character in that way.

2 Likes

Why is that bad? Because those people usually get dramatic?
Isn’t that just like method acting? I googled vicariously and to me it just sounds like being too immersed.

This isn’t far off, but it’s more than that. It’s becoming more emotionally and personally invested in something than you are in your real life.

In RP, this translates as someone who is effectively putting themselves into this make-believe relationship, taking it deeply personally as if it is a real relationship and living through this fantasy.