Zandalari Drudism with the Lun'alai

I got a lore question about Lun’alai’s. Since they don’t bargain with the Loas like the rest of the Zandalari society are they using the power of Elune without knowing it?. And why hasn’t Cenarius taken them to the Emerald Dream?.

bigger question is if they don’t need to bargain do they even communicate with this “loa” in the first place kinda hard to be a worshiper if the loa in question never talks to you :stuck_out_tongue:

but i think the more likely answer is that Blizzard gave zero though to it just like every other race they’ve made druid other then night elf they got better at with the tauren but their far from a equal standing with the night elves on what is a valid belief

1 Like

It seems like that’s the case. It was another let down for sure. One of many.

Yep, that’s a good question.

I’m glad at least the rest of the Zandalari see them as heretics.

This and one more thing. They are lazy. It’s as simple as that. They didn’t want to call the Zandalari druids dinomancers, the ones we knew before BfA. They simply wanted to make it easy for them and call them druids. Why? Why not stay with their lore and the already existing dinomancers? Because of laziness, every race has to be the same. Can’t have different quest and have to fit all in the same boring order halls etc. right?

Of course, not every order hall was boring, but most of them are homogenizing the player races way too much and making the game really bland. Tauren Sunwalker? Silverhand. Zandalari Lun’alai? Druid etc.

1 Like

I mean loa can be anything really. Some loa being one of those silent gods you can’t directly communicate with would make sense. The definition is probably that large.

I wonder where the Lun’alai picked up that worship, maybe that’s dating back to when the Empire of Zul had to live along with the Kaldorei Empire ? Or maybe writers just thought it was cool.

What’s true anyway is that the Night Elves’ practice of druidism has a tendency to absorb and overshadow all other druidic identities, and that’s a shame because there are many and they’re all pretty neat. I understand that the whole idea of class orders makes it impossible not to come up with a centralized, homogenized depiction of “classes” (now maybe class orders wasn’t a good idea in the first place). But devs did it again with Ardenweald. The afterlife for those whose lives were dedicated to their connection with nature and spirits really just looks like a Night Elf hub. I have no love for Kaldorei’s cheesy aesthetics so that just lamed me out to be honest.

I also feel like Trolls’ “druidism” in general doesn’t have a clear identity of its own yet… Especially compared to others like the Drust’s (a worship of death and decay not as dark forces but as mere parts of the cycle of life) or Harvest-witches’ (ostracized “pagan” remnants of the ancient Gilnean society whose crude powers are put to use for very down-to-earth matters like helping with the crops).

it seems like every druid gets their power from elune though its why every animal seem to the the elune mark regardless of what race they belong to

also the horde stole druid in the first place :stuck_out_tongue: so its obvious that its going to be night elf themed no matter what you do that’s like alliance shamans complaining everything is wolf theme’ed :stuck_out_tongue:

even the kul’tiran druid have the moon Symbol on it

We know Troll druids get their powers from Gong though. Well Darkspear druids that is. The druid trainer on the Echo Isles explained as much. Sadly it was ignored after that in every turn and a Troll was even made in to a stupid joke character, shapeshifting in to different animal forms at random while learning “druidism”…

For the Zandalari there was of course Gonk too and perhaps even a second one (looking at some MoP Zandalari texts). Gonk seems to be overall the more important loa for druidism for the Zandalari and his followers are even called Raptari.
The Lun’alai are a separate group for Zandalari druids, smaller but likley following Elune yes. Or at least it seems likley, looking at their groups name.

So no, Elune is not the largest influence for Troll druids. Or she shouldn’t be.
Tauren are another point of course.

Trolls had their own thing with the loa disciples. It’s a major gripe I have with classes and how they are used. I would really like to see more unique takes on them for different cultures etc.
At least naming them different shouldn’t be too hard.

1 Like

or maybe the druids of trolldom simply think gonk is their source of power but his really not

it would not be the first time a race believed in something that was actually false

We know though Gonk is a shapeshifter and is giving them those powers… so what?

or do we you assume much in this brand new age of lore the simple answer is generally the right one aka they believe but are not right

We’ve seen it in BfA… so… yeah. I don’t know what to tell you.

Of course you are right Blizzard isn’t consistent at all and they could be writing a retcon, or whatever different explanation tomorrow for all we know. Sure, they could say Gonk took this power from Elune, or something to that extend. Right now this is what we have. What if’s are cool and all but not needed in such a case.

Druidism is basically just the name given to the different types of magic that draw their power from nature and natural spirits, so no. The thing that ties all druids together is the notion of balance/cycle and the connection to the natural world. Night Elves get their powers from Elune, Tauren too though in another fashion. Trolls get their powers from their Loa (and Wild Gods don’t equal Elune), and we don’t know about Thornspeakers and Harvest-witches, but nothing indicates Elune is involved in those (would be very weird actually).
Only Tauren developed druidism through their contact with the Kaldorei. I don’t think much can be speculated off the moon symbol thing.

Maybe they should complain about that actually… Wolf is the central figure in Orcish culture, there’s no reason why other shamanistic traditions would have it too, considering that shamanism is the most common native form of magic in Warcraft and it takes many different forms.

Same with druids. Actually even if all druids drew their powers from Elune (which is wrong, as far as we know), starry night skies, whimsical plantlife and traditional elven fantasy stuff are the Kaldorei’s aesthetics. Not Elune’s aesthetics. So in any case it definitely shouldn’t apply to all druids.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.