Diablo 3 keeps crashing or freezes for 5-10 sec

I’ve been playing Diablo 3 for the first weeks of the last 6-7 seasons. A month ago I played through campaign with 2 friends over a couple of days.
At the start of Season 23 I played with the regular bunch of hardcore players for 4-5 hours.
Suddenly my game freezes for 15-30 sec - which obviously means I’m dead as the game keeps progressing.
I got boosted back quickly but loading screens seems to take a bit longer - whatever is the Season start, I think. However my game starts crashing randomly while loading into rifts - while idling in town. So much so that I had to give up playing with my friends.
So now a few days later I start a new solo SC char and I’m getting crashes again - all the time. I starts with 2-5 sec freezes and then ends up being complete crash - end game type of crashes.

I’ve tried with normal sound - with the fmodex64.dll fix that we have been using for 2-3 seasons now - mandatory for HC players.
I tried turning all graphic settings to lowest possible.
Then i discovered that my new keyboard Razer Chroma has some software issues, so I have removed all the software and manually deleted the leftover dll files.
Nothing helps so far.
Drivers are updated ofc.

Btw I play 3-4 other games they all work just fine. My pc and internet is stable and running smoothly I’m only experiencing this in Diablo 3.

I have also opened a support ticket EU77230024 so I could upload the MSInfo and DxDiag files.

6 Likes

Blizzard Got To Do Something … Just Died On Hardcore …There was a frieze 10-15 seconds … and that’s it …

4 Likes

This is happening non-stop for me. It used to be 1-time every rift but now it’s like 3-4 times. I looked to see if Blizzard has said anything about this and the only thing I can find is a blue post from March of last year.

3 Likes

Ye. I and my friends got those 10-15 second freezes as well.
Hardcore became hardcore to the triple power.

Ye same here, lags constantly and gets about 3-4 freezelags during one rift, for about 5 - 10 seconds. I’m lucky - unlike you, I don’t play HC

Same here but mostly just crash to desktop. I just crashed again on a HC character in the middle of a rift and I’ve not logged back in yet just in case. I won’t be able to try for my season conquests at this rate :frowning:

Having this same issue myself but it started just before season 23 as i came back to finish season 22 season journey a few days before it finished and these freezes started and have continued since,
If you are channelling a spell of ability and the freeze happens do not let go of the key/mouse button and at least the game kicks back in at the same point of the freeze and you don’t die (mostly) if you release the key/mouse it almost always a death, not really a fix but has saved me a few times

Just died in HC Grift 30, Solo. Froze for 8-10 seconds I would say, Could not hit “esc” to pause, unfroze, dead.

Happends 2 days ago, I was fortunate enought to not die back then

but in 3 days of gameplay, It froze 2-3 times .

Is there a fix here yet?

Not sure this will be relevant to everyone, as it’s dependant upon a specific piece of gear being used, but there was a hotfix applied yesterday (Pacific time)…

I have played Seasons for awhile now and this is the first one I have seen this long lasting freeze issue. Definitely feels like a server issue and I thought at first I was just having connectivity problems but my ping is super low and bandwidth is extremely good.

The lag has something to do with the Fmodex.dll file in the Diablo 3 Directory, some people found success with replacing it or modifying it somehow, the fix never lasts and it’s a constant battle to make sure the game doesn’t update and "fix: that specific file.

I’ve had this exact same problem already for some time. I have a very old computer so i blamed the computer for so long, until a friend told me about the swap Fmodex.dll file fix, and i tested it, and oh my game the game is playable again, but it’s crazy that i really have to swap this file EVERY time i start Diablo, because the launcher wants to update the game because of this change in the folders.

Do you happen to have a motherboard with a Realtek onboard soundcard? Try updating the drivers. My freezes (random 5-10sec hangs) completely stopped after switching the sound output dropdown to my USB audio interface (scarlet 2i2) instead of the onboard Realtek audio. Which leads me to believe it’s a driver issue with my onboard audio. PS: Simply disabling the audio does not work, I had to actually switch the audio output.

I had the same issue.
I was pushing GR117 with my crusader on HC and it freezed for like 10 seconds and I died. I ended up breaking my keyboard. It would be more okay if I made some miss plays and died but not having any control of it was hard to take.
I figured it was on my end some background program causing it, fortunately I had backup gear on my stash. I decided to go again.
Yesterday I finally got back the gear / even better stats on it, lvl up gems and pushed GR118. Today I log on and play some GRs to lvl gems and baaam it freezes for 10sec and Im dead.

Im beyond titled.

Lost my first Barbarian and Crusader to this, the problem on my Barbarian I have no idea what triggered it but on my Crusader I noticed that as soon as I had the valor set up and running it started twitching. Confirmed this after leveling a new crusader, seeker of light set&skills did not cause any problems but as soon as I went holy shotgun it started, luckily I had just cleared the rift lvl and didnt die.

Running fairly new rig with ryzen 9-64g 3200 ram-ssd 450/450-gtx1070 (still waiting for my 3080 for 6 months now)

5-10-21, I have had multiple instances where my game completely freezes and the only way it resets is when I die. Its really bad and I haven’t seen this issue before this update for myself. Hopefully they can fix this. I cant imagine what hardcore players are going through. Playing firebird set this season. I have a newer computer i-9 9900k processor rtx 2080 super ssd nvme water cooling so very much doubt its on my end.

yeah I am having this problem too and while I am playing a demon hunter I notice after it unfreezes my character either runs out of hatred or gets killed by an elite which is why I don’t really like to play hardcore this season or until Blizzard fixes this mess. I find this disappointing really since I just bought a new gaming PC few days ago and this happens I mean it’s still playable just very annoying when it happens and messes up your GR runs.

The same thing here, like Kchekrik said - i lost my HC char hunting in Act V because of this bug, my 5 year old char - i was very sad about it - but today, after i freaking out thinking that this bug was my notebook saying “My life is ending dude…”, i tryed to repair D3 though battle.net app and it’s seens that solve the bug - if I don’t come back here - it’s because that realy fixed the problem o/

Today, “The Problem returns!” - Yesterday I repaired my D3 like I said, and it was running very well i have played for hours. Today when i tried again early morning, the problem is still there =/