Error 1016 when idle for a short while

Heya,

For the last two weeks, I have been getting error 1016 while in game.

But only if my character has been idle for a few seconds, sometimes it takes up to a minute before I get kicked, but always only when I am idle.

I can complete an entire rift without any issues, but the moment I stand still to Teleport to town, or just after I appear in town, I get the error.

The issue does not only appear after rifts, but everywhere, Teleporting from one bounty to another, standing still with Gheed/Diablo/Maltheal’s death animations, pretty much any time my character is not moving, it can happen.

4 Likes

Can you please make sure you’ve run through some of the steps here first. If you have already, can you tell us what you’ve tried so far?

Should the issue persist if you could please upload your system files to pastebin.com and reply with the links to the files using the preformatted text option to encapsulate the links.

Hello,

I am experiencing same problem with error CODE 1016 and I found out that this happens in European region only - in my case. Switching to American region the problem disappeared.
Also I can listen to online streams, I have a lot of opened apps, windows and game is stable in American region (that used to be on my home region Europe too).
Problem appeared probably when I finished W3:reforged and I came back to D3 - maybe 3 weeks ago…

2 Likes

Heya, I have done the following so far:

1. I have reset my network device, I have a mikrotik, am I am the only person connected to the network via cable at the time of testing, I monitor my bandwidth closely, and I am not using close to my maximum possible bandwidth.

2. I have flushed my DNS I use static IP’s on my network for all devices to avoid conflicts, and block/limit speeds of every user on my network, I have also Flushed the DNS cache of my router, and checked all the firewall rules to make sure everything is set up correctly.

3. I am running the latest drivers for all my devices, my PC is ± 10 years old, and not many new drivers have been release for my hardware, save my GFX card in recent years.

4. I am not running on a wireless network, I have an Ethernet cable connected directly to my router, and from there on have a Fiber connection to my ISP.

5. I close all background applications when playing games, I have disable everything in msconfig that I do not use on an everyday basis from starting up in the first place, including auto-update services like adobe, java and google services.

In addition to the above steps followed from the first posted support link, (I m not able to hyperlink it for some reason), I have done the following:
Traceroute to both 185.60.112.157 and 185.60.112.158 (IP’s from the pathping guide) as well as do a constant ping to both IP’s on a secondary screen, while playing, to check for packet drops ant timeouts then the problem occurs.

I have temporarily disabled Anti-virus and Firewall software to make sure an update has not caused any new issues to arise.

I have user a different NIC in my PC, as well as changed ports on my router and made up a new cable to make absolutely sure its not related to that either.

With all of the above, I still get disconnects, I have been a network administrator my an ISP for 10+ years, and am 99.9% sure that is not related to my network in any way, and friends in the same area as I am in, on Different ISP’s are experiencing the same issue.

I will post the MSinfo and DXdiag a bit later during the course of the day.

1 Like
  1. Copy the URL to the clipboard
  2. Paste the URL into your forum post
  3. Highlight the URL in your post
  4. Click the </> button in the editor
  5. This will turn your URL into pre-formatted text
  6. Whilst not clickable, the URL will be properly formatted so others can copy / paste it like this…

http://www.ThisIsAnExample.com/HowToMakeLinks.htm

`https://pastebin.com/e9GEeweV` - MSinfo, removed all but the last 10 errors
`https://pastebin.com/MzzDmv4w` - DXdiag

i have the same error 1016 only in eu region,i’ve done the troubleshooting for disconnection suggested.it began for me after the last maintenance.is very random sometimes 2 min sometimes 20.thank you for help

Some more info that might be useful, my issue only occurs in Adventure mode, Story mode works without any issues.

1016 is a general network disconnection error code. Usually related to your network or internet. A network diagnostic will be helpful; e.g. WinMTR.
See instruction: Running WinMTR

Also, the 10 errors you have trimmed might be useful. Maybe you can paste them in the reply.

Edit: seems you have some Razer products. If a game crash or lock up, you may read this: Known Technical Support Issues - [Updated Dec 14, 2019!]
It may not related to the 1016 error.

Yeah, I do have a Razor product, I stopped using Razor Synapse in season 8 due to crashing issues.

I went through the report before trimming it, all the errors are just repeats of the errors I left in, so they are kinda redundant.

I did describe all the network tests and troubleshooting I have done, as stated, I have been doing networking for about 10 years, I will post a WinMTR when I get a chance later tonight.

Okay I had a look at your Data files, and while it’s “normally” a connection issue, it could also be the fact you’re running Graphics card drivers from 2018 or older even :).

Can you please download the latest drivers from NVIDIA here.

I would also recommend running a Custom Install so you can perform a “Clean Installation” which is a tickbox below the Driver choices. I would not install the NVIDIA GeForce Now, but the drivers are definitely in need of an update.

Also look for any updates for your Network Card drivers too, to do this you’d have to check the manufacturers website for specific updates for your model of card, or you can check for any updates using windows.

I would also update Razer Synapse to the latest build or uninstall it for now anyway.

i’ve done the mtr this is the result

WinMTR statistics                                   |

| Host - % | Sent | Recv | Best | Avrg | Wrst | Last |

|------------------------------------------------|------|------|------|------|------|------|

| 192.168.1.251 - 0 | 5216 | 5216 | 0 | 0 | 2 | 0 |

| 172.31.19.2 - 1 | 5065 | 5027 | 3 | 14 | 474 | 26 |

| No response from host - 100 | 1044 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 |

|______________________________||||

Hop 2 had some data packet loss. The high worst ping (474) is much higher than we are expecting. Seems a problem lies between hop 1 and hop 2.

172.31.19.2 is a local network address.
If it is your network device, try power cycling all network devices for 10 minutes.
If it is a device provided by your ISP, you may seek help from the support of your ISP.

ok,i have only pc plugged so i don’t know what device could be.i don’t know much of this stuff sorry for bad infos.
edit:
i can move and shoot only with numbers in the city when windows of error 1016 appear

The first hop is always the network card in your PC.
The second hop will be your router. Try rebooting that first.

I will have to format my pc then and reload from scratch, I am unable to update my Graphics drivers without issues, which is why they are so old.

I have checked via windwos update and the motherboard manufacturer, the next step would be going directly to the chip manufacturer I guess, will do that.

I usually disable it during play, might as well uninstall it as I don’t really use it much.

I will try everything and get back to you guys once I am done, thanks

I have latest drivers for my Graphic card, latest drivers for network. Last week there wasn’t any problem, I didn’t change anything on my PC, so could you tell me, what was changed in last update, that somehow I unable to play Diablo 3? 3x start game 3x crash for error 1016.
I have tested americas server, that was working fine, after loading on the Europe server, the game crashed immediatelly.
Please, fix the problem !!!

1 Like

Ok, so after a complete Windows re-install, D3 downloaded again, all drivers updated, and absolutely nothing else running on my pc, I still get the same issue.

1 Like

There’s definitely something wrong in connectivity with servers, and I’m not alone with this error 1016.

I have played the previous two seasons without a single problem and at the end of the 19th season I experienced hundreds of 1016 errors.
Having problems with error 1016 for about 20 days.

I only play in the EU region and this is where I have problems with error 1016.

I can play normally in the US region without a disconnection or any error (except high latency)…

2 Likes

join the party :slight_smile:
Got the same issues , so i curious whats the problem :slight_smile: