Freezing in greater rifts only

Ive tried everything and cannot fix this, for the last week ive been getting freezing and it only happens in greater rifts. my specs are as follow, rtx 2070 super, ryzen 7 2700x, 32gb ram, and game is on a nvme m.2 drive. about 2 sometimes 3 times per greater rift my game locks up and freezes for about 15 seconds. as u can probably guess this is keeping me from doing anything past 110 because when the game unfreezes im usually dead. i have litterly tried everything from updating driver, updating windows, looking for and repairing game files, running virus scans, disabling certain program like msi afterburner. nothing is working and im starting to get to the point where i dont even want to play anymore just because this is becoming a chore to try and do any grs. would apreciate any help anyone can give me.

Did you recently apply the Windows 10 update that takes it to build 2004?
If so, this thread’s going to be relevant to you…

Let me guess, you are using on-board sound with realtek drivers? It’s most likely realtek drivers + d3 patch + windows 2004 update. I’ve literally seen at least 5 PC’s now that solved this issue by adding a sound card and removing realtek drivers from PC. Not saying to buy a sound card, but that is where the problem lies. Activision (no, not blizzard, they do not exist anymore) is ignoring this issue for around 2 months now.

okay so its something between diablos recent patch and the recent windows? cause this did start around the time i updated windows now that i think about it.

it’s more between the three of them : diablo, windows and realtek. But by the looks of it, every other game works just fine, which makes it seem like no testing was done by diablo team in order to make sure it works fine. This issue only exists in diablo, so i would personally not blame windows or realtek for it, but the d3 devs for:

1. Not testing for any technical issues,
  2. Not Fixing the technical issues for 2 months (original, real blizzard, would have made it their priority to fix it (though who am i kidding, there is no blizzard anymore, it’s fully activision)
  3. Staying completely silent
    4.? maybe waiting for next season to fix it (which is just ridiculous).

Oh and the blue posts saying it is hard to replicate it is nonsense. 2 of my friend who did not have the issue (due to having a dedicated sound card) basically done a test today by removing the sound card and enabling on-board sound. And who might have thought: game started to freeze…
And by the way, if you check the fmod (the sound file that causes the freezes) version between blizzard games, diablo is using the oldest version. So basically it was only a matter of time until this happened.

Edit: Btw, when you updated your windows it was still old patch (S20). Which was i believe around May or so. So that once again sais that the new patch was not tested properly.

2 Likes

ah okay, i halfay fixed it by reseting my audio settings within diablo itself, its still happens here and there but its more rare now. before it was like twice every game now maybe every 4 or so games wich i can deal with that lol

Game frezes during greter rifts folowed by crash,
Problem is not on mi end since PathOfExine and WOW runs impecable.
Guess same old crap servers .
Thx a lot for the !@#$% experience BLIZZ.
Just so u know, you whont see a dime from me on your crappy products enymore.

Windows 2004 update - we are waiting for Blizzard for this… we are waiting… for 2 months this far…

They do not care about their customers anymore. That is 100 percent… They will not fix this bug until next patch, this is way too obvious (with their silence, even on US forums, 0 replies to these issues though thousands of people are complaining). BTW it’s not windows update, it’s Realtek drivers that are making the freezes. And all other games are working fine, so it is diablo 3 exclusive issue as far as i know. 5 pc so far been tested by adding external card (cheap asus dsx) which fixed the issue 100% after removing realtek drivers. Basically blizzard didn’t do their testing.

Oh and them saying it’s hard to replicate this problem: 2 pc who did not have an issue (had dedicated sound cards) got freezes after removing the aforementioned cards and installing realtek drivers. Basically blizzard is not even trying. Or i should say GREEDYvision, as blizzard is no more…

Weecka - thnx for info, maybe even Blizz have read this one (You can only hope…) - I have RT-audio too in use so this would be solution for this problem.

For me it seems like a lock up in the app maybe the network code. A lot of the time the freeze seems to happen just before the seasonal buff. The freeze seems to release if you stop hitting any keys. It happens in our clan to people with completely different setups graphics sound and windows versions. I’m wondering if the seasonal net code changes is causing the freeze where the app is getting itself into a race condition and restarting an internal component to resume processing. It just seems like an exception is occurring causing the app to block and then release the block after a timeout and its only started in the last 2 to 3 months.

That all said I do have a realtek driver installed :smiley:

Having the same problem since this season.
I’m freezing in nearly every Greater Rifts at least one time for 8 to 10s.
My death joker is thus useless because the freeze is too long, and I always die one time per GR due to this s**t.

Here’s what I tested:

• Update Nvidia drivers
  • Disable in-game sounds
  • Uninstall Realtek Sound Driver
  • Disable HD Audio in the bios
  • Deactivate MalwareBytes

Nothing gets rid of the long freeze that only happens in GR, not in T16 or bounties.
My current config is pretty good with a 8086K and a 2080 Super.
No other game have the problem, and no process is taking CPU resources with the task manager opened when I Alt-Tab out as soon as the freeze happens.
Its only the D3 client that completely freezes: mobs on the server are moving and killing me during the freeze.

Was having fun playing Necro for the first time, but I cannot accept to always have to die one time per rift, so I’ll just stop the season right here.

Edit:
Found this topic on the US forum:

The trick with fmodex64.dll resolved my freezes. No sound for a playable game is an OK in my book.