Primal ancient item re-forge

Good day

Some of you may the know the disappointment of seeking out a certain item for many hours, getting a primal ancient … but then with very unfortunate affixes. I was playing monk this past season and was initially ecstatic to get a primal ‘Won kim lau’ but my excitement plummeted fast as i saw it had rolled with ‘Vitality’ and ‘Life per spirit spent’.

Suggestion:
How about a gift, similar to Ramaladni’s gift (could even just have the same design, with a different colour) with a drop rate perhaps 4 times more rare than Ramaladni’s which when combines with 200 forgotten souls in the Horadric Cube allows the user to reforge a primal ancient item.

It should be costly i believe but would be great to have a chance to redeem what should be a top item.

What do you think?
Thanks

3 Likes

I have 400 gifts So you mean iwould have 100 options to reroll primal. Its not gonna happen

And costly would mean Some like 10000 fs 10000 db And 500 legendary mats each. But then i wouldnt know you could still get garbage

Thanks for the reply robavatar

I see that the cost would be very debatable and perhaps tricky to arrive at reasonable numbers - I have nowhere near those kind of mats (400 gifts, 500 leg mats, 10k forgotten souls etc.).

It would just be great i believe to have the opportunity to redeem a primal rather than salvage it …

It would be good if the design could ensure that you don’t roll exactly the same affixes again but other than that it would still be a gamble and as you say one could still get garbage.

3 Likes

And another bad thing could be that botting would be even more helpful. And I don’t want that

The issues of botting and botters should never be used as an argument in discussions about changes to the game (unless it is changes that’ll prevent botting of course).
There is little chance that the developers will change the game mechanics about primals and ancients… but who knows what’ll happen.

1 Like

Primals should be reforged to primals only. End of story.
Mike

5 Likes

This would certainly be the easiest from a development point of view. I felt that there should be some kind of cost but when one considers: how rare primals are, also how rare it is to find a relevant primal (i.e. NOT blackthornes currently :slight_smile: ), and that by definition it should be ‘prime’ (top version of an item) it is perhaps not too far off to ask for what you are saying. I think many times the primal ancient item is just about there and with one enchantment it is optimal. For the case where you got more than 1 unhelpful affix, 1 or 2 reforges should sort it out … and then you can keep your mats for other things.

3 Likes

One negative thing about such a thing could be that then players would feel compelled to farm for primal items and do reforge after reforge. Because once you got your primal it would just be a matter of reforging untill it was perfect (and with a high reforge price you’d be forced into maybe endless farming again).

I don’t know about the cost either but I think reforging a primal and being guaranteed to get another primal is a great idea! :grin::+1:t2: I also really like the idea of a different colored gift that’s really rare that can be used to reforge a primal… :grin::+1:t2::+1:t2:

2 Likes

^^ Yes please, this would be great!!!

2 Likes

Perhaps another simple change would be to allow enchantments to 2 properties (instead of 1) for primals. This should cover those cases where there are unlucky rolls and allow the item to be truly primal.

Thanks for the input, just to summarise.

Let primal ancients be truly primal by:

OR

Reforge primal to primal with some kind of rarer, different coloured Ramaladnis gift + some kind of cost (more complex)

OR

Allow 2 properties to be enchanted on primals instead of 1

Any better ideas?
Thanks all.

2 Likes

Indeed iT looks nice, but never gonna happen. Just like offline mode

1 Like

lol robavatar, you don’t sound very hopeful …

Option 1 for the win, easiest to implement.
Here Blizzard, i even wrote some over-simplified, pseudo code for you :slight_smile:

switch(KanaiCubeSelection)
{
	case HoradricRecipe::ExtractLegendaryPower:
		// existing code
		break;

case HoradricRecipe::ReforgeLegendary:
		if(currentItem.isPrimal())
		{
			container itemType = [primal];
			newItem = RNG::generate(itemType);  
		}
		else
		{
			container itemType = [legendary, ancient, primal];
			newItem = RNG::generate();	// existing code
		}
		break;

case HoradricRecipe::UpgradeRare:
		// existing code
		break;		
}

#everhopeful

2 Likes

why not make primal rings and amulets drop with chc chd and a socket gloves with mainstat chc chd and weapons with mainstat ias and weapon damage, leaving the 4th stat open for specific needs

2 Likes

Good point Zwiebel, this would narrow things down a lot and greatly reduce the need for enchanting and reforging. There isn’t huge diversity when it comes to builds but still if I think of thorns/support/cooldown reduction/resource reduction … a reforge option could help there.

Thorns builds and Supports don’t want CHC / CHD so forcing all primal rings to have those affixes on them would render primal rings useless to them. Also, IAS on weapons is completely useless to some builds. For example, if I got a primal weapon for WW/Rend I’d want Main Stat, 10% CDR and 24% AD, and I’d roll the main stat off for 10% weapon damage.

Primals are just ancients with their values at the top of the affix range. Don’t go messing about with forcing them to have specific affixes, especially when doing so would render primal versions of the items useless to some builds.

2 Likes

Well said Meteorblade - for the sake of diversity (which should be encouraged) it wouldn’t be good to limit the affixes. Zwiebel’s point would have helped in my particular case where I got ‘Vitality’ and ‘Life per spirit spent’ on a monk weapon BUT it’s important to keep the bigger picture in mind.

I realise many would say, it just has to be accepted that the relevant primal you get (relevant as in part of build) will not always be better than their ancient ‘version’ to due the affixes rolled. Suck it up, salvage and move on …

Or perhaps, for one season it could be tested, that reforging a primal always generates a primal of the same type. Then when you see that red beam, and it’s not blackthornes, but actually part of a build you’d like to try … you know you’ve hit the jackpot. :slight_smile:

1 Like

That’s would be the most ergonomic option in the game indeed. Good idea :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Interesting idea for primals to be reforged only to primals… I think a lot of players would like that. They could make the recipee require more materials to be more challenging but still rewarding. Another idea is to make a primal puzzle ring guaranteeing you another random primal just like the first time you complete a 70 rift. It’s not that game changing. I 've only found 3 primal puzzle rings in my life.

I would also like to see a new gem like Legacy of dreams or a new set of rings allowing a full primal build to be viable for all those primals that we were hyped once they dropped and they turned out to be Blackthornes, Butcher’s Carver, Eye of Etlich and Gladiator gauntlets. Maybe a middle tier build, that would be fun to play.