Preparing game data before every start up

Been like this since months already, and it’s still unfixed to this day and it probably never will be since Blizzard is dead.
Why microsof is investing in that sinking corpse is beyond me

daily why do i have to update the game before every start when fix

Give the developers and moderators a break they’ve been under abuse by the management for years and we have no Idea of what’s going on behind the scenes. Additionally we don’t even know how the game is built, it could have giant flaws in the code that prevents them from changing these things and we know damn well that they have a fraction of the resources and manpower working on the game compared to just 2 years ago

Uhm… Reroll to previous version without bugs and try to fix?
Easy. Nono, blizzard, it’s a free advice :smiley:

It’s not that easy, reading through these forums makes it clear that this has been a problem for atleast the last 2 years and they don’t even know what’s the cause of the problem.
Do you really think coding is that easy? Because it’s really not since one singular typo in the code can cause it to straight up not work anymore, similarly compleatly unrelated things such as a model having a issue with it’s file can cause this.
And finally do you really think that Activision is going to bring a team of less than 20 people back to 50+ people to fix a bug by going back 2 YEARS of progress and remake all of that to fix a downloading issue they don’t even know the cause of without accidentally deleting everyone’s accounts and progress.
In it’s current state this bug could take and has taken years to try and fix but coding isn’t as easy as you think and it takes time.
If any Hots developer sees this I want to say one thing to you: I apologize for all the hateful comments you have gotten these last years from the forums on behalf of the nice part of the community and I hope your working conditions get better now that Microsoft will be in charge

1 Like

Hi all, just wanted to share that I’ve had a bit of a back and forth with support on the issue - trying reinstalls, cache emptying and also removing antivirus for a reinstall. Quite confident none of those steps helped as it still DL’d the 137mb patch after 2 or 3 times.

BUT - today I had a patch autodownload when opening the BNet client and the download hasnt happened since. Maybe there is a longer loading screen (ingame) which is masking the download but it seems fixed. Can anyone confirm this is also the case for them?

Bought a new ssd disk so i completely reinstalled my windows, battlenet and hots from the scratch - still have to dowload 137mb every time i start the game, fun times!

1 Like

what do you expect from studie where works people whos intelect is lower than a frog???

New song by Dr. alban

It’s my life my worries, it’s my life, 137mg
It’s my life, my problems, it’s my life, 137mg

It’s my life take it or leave it
Set me free
What’s that c**p (137mg), papa-knew-it-all
I got my own life, you got your own life
Live your life and set me free
Mind your business and leave my business

i recently reinstalled the game after a 14 months break, but it seems this issue is still here.
cause i remember it existing in 2020 as well.

Submitted a ticket. I hope for a swift solution to this. I’ll be adding the solution I recieve here to add to the myriad of others.

1 Like

How is this still an issue ? Recently decided to play a bit hots again and this keeps happening.

Keep having to download an update on bnet app and then a 137MB patch before I launch HotS (preparing game data), and if I play a match and then take a break closing the game I need to download again all of it. This is happening for more than 2 months.

Tried:

• to delete bnet and all games, cleared appdata and programdata bnet and blizzard folders, restarted computer, reinstall bnet and games, updated games, played a match the update returns. BUT if I dont play a match no updates.

• Rename the game folder and on bnet search for the new name, worked only one time the update returns. Guess if every time I want to play I can rename the folder and then search for it over and over and over and…

• NOT using bnet at all, using HeroesSwitcher_x64.exe NO update

So the problem is the bnet app.

I have limited internet, so having to download several 137mb updates was too mutch.

daily why do i have to update the game before every start it has been like this for atleast 5 months now and you arent doing anything about it

Same thing happened to me, it led to nothing at the bottom except back to the forums to ask the community. I had to use a different link in the WoW portal for a similar problem, probably a thread made for that game regarding the original issue with battlenet or whatever. confusing waste of 20 minutes navigating the website with incorrect instructions.

On another note, I tried to scan/repair and got stuck in a scanning error loop. But it’s working again after reinstalling, well back to square 1 I mean. But I finally moved the installation since it’s been doing the 137mb update for 3-4 months on my SSD now, so there’s that.

Why Blizzard doesn’t care about this topic, I lost a lot of my friends over it and they don’t come to Blizzard anymore.

So 2 weeks ago I submitted a ticket. I basically got told to go away. I asked for some kind of compensation for this being a issue for over 5 months, I basically got told “No. Jog on”. I also got told that they are looking into it. That was clearly a lie. So when is the issue going to be fixed? Never. Blizzard don’t care. HotS isn’t making them enough money so they think it’s a waste of time. If this was an issue with WoW it would have been fixed in minutes.

1 Like

at this point i would prefer them anounce “we’re shuting down the game” than this graveyard of a game

1 Like

Y’all wanna fix this or what? I shouldn’t have to reboot the client or my PC every time I want to play this. This is 100% unacceptable.

I contacted support using the link you gave, attached the required files and my experience. I’ll paste here too:

I tried most things suggested under

Preparing game data before every start up

and moving the game files did work. When I tried uninstalling every trace of Battle.net from my system and reinstall, thr problem came back.

Personal note: when software breaks when it’s working on most people’s system it’s usually due to some localization issue. I’ve learned to restrain from installing games to C:\Játékok and dev stuff to C:\Kellékek (which is Hungarian for C:\Games and C:\Tools respectively), because many games (even today) fail to load their own assets, so I’ve grown used to installing stuff to C:\Jatekok and C:\Kellekek. It’s just not worth the hassle. Localization can still break English-centric SW, for eg. AMD’s Code XL (debugger and profiler) broke because the installer had a hardcoded username ‘Everyone’ which doesn’t read the same way on non-English systems. (In Hungarian unauthenticated user permission group reads ‘Mindenki’.) Because the installer didn’t properly obtain the name of this group, it failed to set permissions on installed files and bailed during installation.

If it’s dominantly European users arguing about this update loop, I’d start looking into localization-specific things, such as time formats, time zones, special user names, etc. Battle.net may try reading files which are there, but using wrong permissions or thinks they’re out-of-date and instead re-downloads them. (Just a guess)

1 Like