Extremely faulty ban system

I got disconnected but reconnected wihin 40 sec. Finished the game but got a 2 hour ban?

This is not the first time i get a ban for no logic reason…
What the heck?

40 sec (and the time to respawn and run to your team) is a lot of time. It’s enough to be a possible cause of a defeat and a disconnect is a bad experience for 5 team mates (and possibly for 6 enemies) even if the result is victory - this is why you get penalised even if you reconnect.

The system is working as intended. The reasons behind the suspensions and the decisions made while designing the system have been explained in the following official post by Blizzard:

3 Likes

No, it’s not. There should be no punishment if someone disconnects and connects back in less than 2 or was it 3 minutes(the “if you leave now you will be punished” time) … If OP indeed reconnected in less than 40sec and got punished - that’s bad design choice.

On the other hand … 2 hours ban is not first punishment? So, you either disconnect a lot, or just leave matches.

1 Like

Even just a zero second disconnect can be the cause of defeat in a tight match (because respawning and running to your team will never be zero seconds). I want them to be punished for it. Those who don’t disconnect frequently have nothing to worry about.

2 Likes

Well, you just want someone to pin blame for defeat on then …
What’s the incentive for the guy who just got disconnected to try and get back into the game then? They’ll get -50SR and ban either way, might as well turn off the game …

It isn’t difficult to understand that leaving competitive on a frequent basis is unacceptable. I’ve explained that even the shortest disconnect can have serious consequences and most people disconnect for much longer time then my example. Do you say that 40 seconds + respawn + running to the battlefield (basically 1 minute) isn’t enough to lose a game? There are also some players who disconnect and reconnect several times per match. It’s true that a match can be lost without disconnecting team member but I don’t need someone on my team who increases the chances of a defeat by joining the game with a connection that has known issues.

Nothing. He shouldn’t have entered competitive in the first place. I’d give them longer penalties and eventually ban if they enter competitive with an unsuitable equipment without caring about the experience of 11 other players. That would reduce the number of frequent leavers and that would reduce the need for reconnect as well. However I doubt that suspensions or rejoining would be problems for serious players who don’t disconnect frequently.

SR should reflect skills and it’s use as a psychological punishment isn’t useful. Suspensions and bans make more sense. The solution is either getting a suitable equipment (including a network connection that works) or playing QP or something else where leaving has less serious consequences.

But are you saying that if my router decides to restart itself in first minute, remaining 10-15 minutes are not enough to win the match?
Because that’s what “punish 1 second reconnect” does … I’d have no reason to return to the game. It’s -50SR and ban for me either way, and 99% loss for other 5 people - and it doesn’t have to be.

You do realize you’re saying “Id rather lose and get that guy punished/banned, instead of that guy returing and us trying to win”? … oh, well :slight_smile:

So, what you’re saying is … people should buy time machines and detect if/when they’re going to disconnect, and not play comp if so? Or maybe frog in the jar would suffice? People leave the game because they can’t play with their random team mates for reasons known to them only, and not because their bad connections.

You know, people can get network issues at random times with perfect networking equipment and perfect ISP … there’s a lot of “cables” going from their PC to Blizzard’s server … No need to punish someone for one time disconnect that gets back in a minute or less. Guy gets back, they win … and get -50SR and ban - don’t play comp without frog in a jar please.

Someone with perfect attendance has net SR gain caused by leavers in the long run because his/her team has only 5 slots for a possible leaver while the enemy has 6. The problem isn’t SR loss (because it doesn’t really exist for those who don’t leave). The problem is wasted time, annoying matches and overall bad gaming experience.

As I said, I don’t want leavers to rejoin my matches. I don’t want them to enter competitive in the first place and harsher punishments would lower their numbers.

I think you did’t understand what I wanted to explain: I’d rather not have that guy in my match at all from the beginning of the match. Longer suspension penalties can actually reduce the chances of having a leaver on your team making the rejoin problem a minor issue.

I disconnect only for technical reasons and that happens once in every 2-3 months despite playing 5-10 hours per day. Some disconnect several times per match. Do you see the difference?

These people have no place in competitive. They deserve to be banned. They should also rethink whether OW (being a team based game) is the right game for them.

Again: we are not talking about a one time disconnect, we are talking about frequent disconnects. A punishment for a one time disconnect isn’t painful if you don’t have it often but I’ve already explained this. Especially if the suspension length has escalating severity that expires. I disconnect once in a few months while some others disconnect several times per match. That’s a huge difference and there are a lot of different levels in between. We have to draw the line(s) somewhere.

Those who want to play competitive need a good connection. There is no way around this. People have a choice between several ISPs and different broadband packages of the same ISP. If you don’t research which ISPs and which packages provide reliable connections and lower pings then it’s your problem and it shouldn’t cause problems for 11 other players. If you have such a bad connection and you are unwilling to resolve them then play QP or live with your competitive penalties.

I could personally choose from a lot of ISPs and dozens of broadband packages but bought one after reading some reviews and checking some stats. I could have bought a package from several ISPs with terrible reputation among gamers.

People get disconnected. There’s no way to predict cable cut that happens in another countryI … if they reconnect in proper time - there should be no punishment. When I played comp, if you reconnect in 2 minutes(punishment timer) you wouldn’t get punished. If they changed it - that’s a bad decision, from obvious reasons. Not every re-connect is defeat, and 50SR is huge punishment when you’re in high ranks fighting to stay in high ranks.

Nope. So, for that diconnect you should have received 10 days comp ban along with -50SR, because we others don’t want to play with people who disconnect, right?

I think you don’t understand it either :P. People get disconnected - without obvious reasons. If they can get back into a match in a proper time, they should be allowed to continue the game like nothing happened, like it was before.

In like … prob thousand of hours in comp I have never met a guy who reconnected more than once. People who leave - leave for good, people who disconnect are back in less than a minute like nothing happened.

Oh, but we are talking about one time disconnect, and no possibility to reconnect in decent time and continue playing like nothing happened.

And yet, you still get disconnects from time to time :stuck_out_tongue:

2 minutes? No. Zero. Without the punishment we are just protecting the frequent leavers. A leaver has to be punished. If it happens rarely then he won’t be hurt much.

Those who disconnect frequently usually have very obvious reasons but they don’t care. Those who don’t disconnect frequently aren’t hurt by an occasional suspension. If you can’t understand then read the official Blizzard post I linked and you’ll see why. Those who don’t have the equipment shouldn’t try to climb the mountain. There is QP for frequent leavers, that matches the level of their seriousness.

Only those want this who disconnect frequently, a minority of players. Cable cuts happen rarely so that doesn’t justify the removal of punishments. Those who buy package from an ISP that “cuts the cable” (they actually don’t “cut the cable” often) too often can play QP.

It’s not a cable cut if you buy a cheap low quality broadband package from a bad ISP. In that case your ISP probably rents a limited bandwidth and sells much more to its customers with various tricks. And the infrastructure serving that ISP might have intentionally lower QoS settings (high ping and/or worse jitter) because that’s what the ISP payed for.

Another frequent cause: people use their connection for a lot of things (like torrent) and don’t set up correct QoS settings in their own router to prioritise the packets of the game.

All of the above issues are the fault of the player (except the cable cut that would cause disconnects extremely rarely) and they should suffer from their frequent disconnects alone without 11 other players.

Every disconnect is a bad experience for 11 other players who suffer because 1 player doesn’t care.

Let’s go climbing a mountain with a faulty equipment, and BTW, let’s invite 11 strangers, I don’t care if they too die with me…

Those who disconnect rarely get their own penalty including the suspension but it doesn’t escalate to serious punishments with rare disconnects.

Perhaps I wasn’t clear but let’s try to explain this to you about the 3rd time: I’m not talking about rare one-time disconnects. You don’t seem to understand what “frequent” or “frequency” means. Do you know what’s the difference between disconnecting once per few months and disconnecting several times per match? Half of your replies wouldn’t exist if you knew the difference. The whole discussion is pointless this way.

1 Like

People who disconnect and connect back are not leavers.

So, if your parents are poor don’t play video games … video games are only for us rich kids … :rofl:

Those who come back are not leavers.

Yeah, listen kids!!! … don’t you dare to play video games without streamer grade gaming computer and streamer grade internet :smiley:

People who reconnect back are not leavers.

-50SR is serious punishment, especially if the guy gets back and win.

Oh, I know the difference. If player gets back into the game in a reasonable time - they’re not leavers, thus shouldn’t get leaver’s penalty.

Here are my 5cents:

It’s basically me, reconnecting in under 10 seconds.

Pls mute me theres nothing valuable to hear :slight_smile:
Just some swiss german disappointed grunting.

They’ve basically left a part or parts of the match that increases the chances of loss. If you couldn’t understand this in my previous posts then you never will.

Really? Then what are they? Combackers? They also have to be punished for increasing the chances of defeat and also for the bad gaming experience.

When I was a kid I wanted to be an F1 pilot, I wanted to go on holidays to other countries, and wanted video games too, etc…, but you know I was born into a very poor family and to the wrong place. Fortunately the price difference between a very bad and a good broadband package is much-much smaller compared to those things that I wanted. Those who can afford a PC to run OW (because I personally didn’t have money for a PC) should be able to afford that miniscule price difference between two broadband packages. Sometimes there is no difference, it might simply be picking the wrong ISP or simply having a bad router setup.

The poor who can’t afford a normal broadband package that is suitable for low latency online games can play either QP or other online games that don’t require reliable low latency network connections. No one said that they can’t play. But they can’t play anything with an unsuitable equipment.

Do they also go to climb mountains even if they have no money for equipment? But you can’t tell them not to do just because they have no money! And of course it isn’t a problem if they cause the death of some strangers. Who cares?

You can repeat it 1000 times, it’ll still not be true and will receive what you deserve for it. If it wasn’t a problem then there would be no complaints. Only those think this who leave on a regular basis. The others have a different experience.

I think SR should reflect skills, and shouldn’t be used for other kinds of punishment. I’d be fine with eliminating SR penalties if they increased the severity of suspension/ban penalties in exchange to a level that would perma-ban those who leave too frequently. Perhaps they already have this… We don’t know the limits they’ve set.

This is a pointless conversation/tug-of-war with you because you can’t understand very simply things like “frequency” and the fact that leaving even for zero seconds increases the chances of defeat. You also fail to understand that Competitive isn’t the only game mode in OW and it REQUIRES a suitable network connection. You can’t leave matches on a frequent basis, that’s the reason for the penalties.

The rules and the reasons are clear and you can read them in the linked Blizzard post in my first post. But you know what, here it is again because you probably haven’t found it otherwise you wouldn’t have claimed that “leaving isn’t leaving and it isn’t a problem that should be punished”:

I’ve simply tried to show you the viewpont of those who are the victims of those players who enter competitive with unreliable equipment. There is a reason why those penalties exist even if you’ve never tried to think about it. Only frequent leavers want milder punishments and their numbers will always be lower than those who don’t leave several times per day or per match. For this reason the penalties are unlikely to go away but you can try to influence Blizzard if you want. You don’t have to try to influence me, instead ask me if you are interested in the opinion of someone who leaves extremely rarely. Blizzard will work with numbers/stats and likely to draw the line based on the frequency of leaving when it comes to the severity of punishments.

1 Like

When people have no arguments … they go for insults. You don’t know, you don’t understand, I’m smart and you’re stupid. It’s kinda sad, but hey … it’s the internet.

They actually don’t need to be punished, it’s the way Blizzard chose, and in my opinion it is wrong decision.

Yep, confirmed … don’t play video games if you’re poor!!!

Now ask yourself how much “climbing a mountain” would cost, and compare that to a budget PC and budget internet, and ask yourself is that fair to people who work 2 or 3 jobs to provide budget things to their families :wink:

Nope, I’ve never had disconnects, and in my OW comp expeperience, in like 1000 hours on like 10-15 accounts, from bronze to master - never met people who kept disconecting. People who did disconnect got back really fast, people who left - left for good. Nothing serious to get punished for.
And, we all know players in this game complain about and report all sort of things … things that make no sense whatsoever …

Again with the “I’m smart, you’re stupid” eh? :smiley:
And again, I’m telling you, person who disconnects, will not get back into the game, because they know they will get -50SR. It is highly unlikely that they’ll get enough disconnects to get banned or comp-banned.

Mate, I know what rules and punishments Blizzard decided to implement, we need to obey them, but we do not need to agree with them…
I don’t know what your problem is … and don’t want to know really :), but I can have my own opinion, and I can say/write that something is wrong when I don’t like it. That’s what forums are for - discussion.
And punishing people for reconnect is wrong in my opinion. Because they lose the incentive to join back the game. It’s highly unlikely that team will lose just because some guy disconnected for 15-30 seconds, but it’s more then likely that team will lose if that guy doesn’t come back at all. And since most of disconnects are one-time disconnects(people who keep disconecting are minority, because in thousand of comp hours, I would meet at least one, right? - they won’t be banned from game, because there’s nothing wrong with their connection… and won’t be disconnected again anytime soon…) those will be defeats that didn’t need to happen.
But, I guess you’re trying to get noticed by Blizzard so they can offer you “forum community manager” role(volunteer), right?

:rofl:
I really nailed it in prev paragraph, didn’t I?

It’s a fact that disconnecting and reconnecting lowers the chances of victory. No one needs a science degree to see that.

Budget equipment isn’t suitable for everything. They might not be good enough to run OW (but there are many other games), or they might not be good enough to play competitive in OW.

Those who don’t have money will not have a Ferrari, but they might have a cheaper car and you can’t do everything with that as you could with a better one. As simple as said. Being poor comes with disadvantages even some people wanted to think otherwise. In case of disconnections we are talking about a price differences between broadband packages that could be paid by a child from pocket money even in a relatively poor family.

No, I think you are the smartest person I’ve ever met. This is probably only simple thing you can’t understand.

Playing a match with no leaver is the same as playing it with someone who leaves a few times. OK. If you say so… Blizzard is simply in bullying mood and that’s why the punishments. I got it.

I don’t want to work for anyone.

Not really, but I’m not surprised.

BTW, have you ever thought of that this level of quality might be provided by the punishments?

So, chances to win are better when the guy doesn’t come back at all? :rofl:

OW has really low pc requirements … because they want players count to be as high as possible. There’s no such thing as “serial disconnects” …

Mate, there’s a word … aporophobia, look it up :wink:

Wow, and now mocking me … :rofl:

That’s not work … that’s volunteering. Blizzard is not stupid to pay for services people(kids) are ready to do for free :stuck_out_tongue:

Wonder why’s that?

At that time, people who would return in 2 minute time would not get punished. They prob wouldn’t return at all today.

OK, let’s let everyone do whatever they want. Regardless whether they can pay for it or willing to pay for it. After all, that’s how the world works.

It’s work without payment for those who don’t want to do it.

Leaving and not rejoining are two different things. I’d punish both. Perhaps they are already doing this but we don’t know the details. SR isn’t the only possible way to punish someone.

Giving no penalties for causing less harm makes no sense. Giving less penalties for causing less harm is possible. -50SR for leaving is nothing for those who don’t leave frequently. If we give some extra punishment (of any kind) for not rejoining then problem solved. I’m not an advocate of SR punishments. Giving longer suspension penalties and/or buildup sounds better both for leaving and not rejoining.

Here is Jeff Kaplan’s opinion on leaving competitive games frequently. He might also have “aporophobia” just like me.

To be honest, the penalty system doesn’t motivate you from joining back though. As you said, a harsher penalty for non-rejoining leavers would solve the problem. When you lose connection, no matter on purpose or by accident, you should be penalized because a stable connection was expected. However, if you are back on the menu, there should be a pop up that warns you that if you don’t join back, the penalty would be harsher.

There could be some sort of strike system where, when you rejoin, you get one strike. At 3 strikes, the real leaver penalty will be activated, even when you rejoined. If you rejoin, the penalty could be like a half hour suspension. That little time should be used to check technical issues.

If someone with technical issues is still playing, then they are just shooting at their own foot and get penalized harsher.

1 Like