šŸŽ­ GD Chat Room (Part 1)

Border collie out of the question then? :crazy_face: :kissing_heart:
Theyā€™re my favorite breed.

Iā€™m not sure what kind of breeds are in Tahra honestly. Thereā€™s tests I could do, but I figured; what does it really matter? Itā€™s about what sheā€™s like, not what she is. :blush:

Ps: She was named Tara originally when I adopted her. So of course that had to become Tahra. :grin:

1 Like

border collie would be nice, beagles are also i think most common here. i like them and theyre good for walks and they enjoy forests but i dont have preferance really :slight_smile:

beagle or borderterrier or some labradore, all nice really aslong its not too large or have too long fur like afghan hound, that would be tragic sight with the fur going through bushes and spruces and the like :smiley:

5 million sticks collected :joy:

2 Likes

They are very high energy though and if you donā€™t give them enough of an exercise daily then they can become depressed or destructive or both. I went outside for 2-3 hours daily with her minimum (sometimes there were exceptions of course, but generally speaking). At least 2x 45 mins per day is needed on a general basis.

But it also depends on how much work they do during their time outside.

Anyway, with regular visits to that forest you spoke of, I think any dog would be extremely happy living with you. :blush:

1 Like

few regular normal walks out a day and then few longer per week when you just want go wander somewhere out, any more than that i cant handle im too old :joy:

2 Likes

You can always ā€˜put them to workā€™. Let THEM do most of the walking/running/fetching/searching. :grin:

1 Like

Similar story here, but heres the story. Me and the wife were looking for another dog after our greyhound died a few years ago. Upon looking through some ā€˜reputableā€™ rescue places, we settled on a Staffie through a private adoption type thing. on the surface, she was everything we wanted (according to the owner) - good with kids, other dogs etc so we went for it. Drove to the address, collected her no issue, she was well behaved, but excitable. soon as we got her home the issues started - was very aggressive with neighbours dogs, barking at everything that moved.
She then had a go at someone (didnt bite, but too close for comfort), that got reported to the police who advised me to muzzle her if im in town. i dont muzzle her coz i take her through woods and forests where the chances of meeting other people are zero. when we questioned previous owner about her bite history, we got blocked on Facebook so my guess is they were told to either adopt her out or its a final trip to the vet. anyway we had her 2.5 years now and i dont regret it

thats what Collies are for lol

3 Likes

It good that you didnā€™t give up on her. But yeahā€¦ You never know if thereā€™s some baggage there with rescue dogs. But then again, even if you get a puppy thereā€™s a chance of getting a dog with some issues.

But most dogs CAN be rehabilitated if you know what youā€™re doing. It just takes (a lot of) time and patience.

Definitely! They love it.

1 Like

seems like you made it work in the end, and that sounds really familiar concidering some of the backrounds some of these foster dogs have had to gone through. I wont go in too much detail but on mild cases the owners have left them locked in for days in bathrooms while they go out example

i worked with one shepard that were really kind by nature to all untill she saw someone held a shovel when she would attack them immediately and we figured it had likely been beaten by some stick so its impremented on it now everytime it sees someone holding a broom or something sweeping floors, its unfortunate but can be trained away from their behaviour due time

it is nice to hear you made your case also work in the end and dont regret giving one of these abused pets a good home :slight_smile:

sounds to me like everyone won on that story in the end

2 Likes

Sheā€™s not there yet, still very temperamental when out and hates people in the house (outside of us and 1 other person). We think she was abused, as she went loopy whnever i got the hoover out, but shes over that now and accepts that our cats are the bosses (NOT her lol). Sheā€™s a right PITA but sheā€™s our PITA, shame i cant post a pic of her

1 Like

remaining consistent with the rules of not allowing certain behaviours and the normal home with you guys with people that love and take care of her compared to her old owners will normalize it all in time or atleast remove the most unwanted behaviours like aggression to strangers im sure!

2 Likes

I had a rescue, we were lucky to get him from a Pup.

He was my constant companion and I still miss him

6 Likes

I just adopted a new furrbaby, heā€™s a half NFC and Main co-on (I had to put a hyphe in there what?) so heā€™s going to grow into a very big boy.

https://i.imgur.com/I2cd0jJ.png

4 Likes

Itā€™s a racial slur in America Iā€™m afraid.

4 Likes

Looks like a right little character! :paw_prints:

Oh, most definitely, makes me laugh everyday, he also loves to cuddle and heā€™s my company as im unemployed at the moment.

1 Like

Miserable. Was smothering with a fever over the weekend since Fridayā€¦ the warm nights were unbearable.

Are you feeling better now?

At work atm doing a night Shift, the fever broke yesterday at least.

Hope all goes smoothly for you tonight!

So glad it wasnā€™t as bad today. Our houses and flats are so bad at letting heat out in the UK.

Managed to eat 3 pizzas in the last 24 hrs so very happy indeed.

Looking foward to treating the Mrs to a weekend in Amsterdam for her birthday.

2 Likes