šŸŽ­ GD Chat Room (Part 2)

Sicilian and polenta? Whatā€™s this sorcery? :eyes:

See, thereā€™s something wrong. Polenta is from here (we even get called ā€œpolentoniā€ by the south guys as an insult). If youā€™ve been served polenta in the south itā€™s clear you did not like it, they donā€™t know how to make it!!!

1 Like

Polenta can be southern though, itā€™s a typical dish here as well, and we are the south of Switzerland. :melting_face:

2 Likes

I knew theres some dislike between sicilian and rest of italy but I did not know theres between north and south too. Im learning something new, this why I prefer international guilds too. Its fun to hear from other countries around the world. :smiley:

1 Like

Sicily is one of the best region in italy. With bes foodā€¦ just visit syracuse and palermoā€¦
Weird thing anyway the polenta in sicily.
Im a 100% polentone sinve xvi but i prefer a lot southern food.

3 Likes

https://www.tastingtable.com/1325785/sicilian-pasta-dishes-know/

Hoo-boy, I will need wheelbarrow to roll me out the country if I ever visit. I bought some mushrooms, bacon and this black pepper cheese that Ill put inside of few and wrap it with bacon.

1 Like

My dad has Sicilian roots :sunglasses:

1 Like

I like mediterranean style dishes alot but its kinda overly expensive if try make it here. Basically all fish bought from store will cost arm and leg and I cant afford pay 9-12 euro for say 400 grams of fish if I can get 500g chicken with 3 euros for comparison. Also the herbs and oil and nuts and veggies will become very expensive as diet if would start eating it here. Its strange really to think how many lakes we have and sea arounding us but still how expensive fish is in stores here. I can afford buy some only special occasions its too expensive.

1 Like

You donā€™t get it, itā€™s everywhere :joy: not just Sicily and the rest of Italy, but literally everywhere. East, west, north, south, islands, hell even in the same region you have cities that hate each other (see Pisa and Livorno for instance!)

2 Likes

Or Bergamo and Bresciaā€¦ :eyes:

FORZA ATALANTA! :blue_heart: :black_heart:

Sorry about that. :joy: We donā€™t even care about them anymore, they are so irrelevant lol.

1 Like

Hopefully nothing too serious, I know everywhere is some minor feuds between neighbour town and regions etc just like in here but the times when people actually gathered to fight between neighbour towns is in history :smiley:

3 Likes

Donā€™t worry, itā€™s mostly based around football (as I wrote in my last post lol).

2 Likes

My grandpa from fathers side said south and north of this Island he grew on used to gather have feud on this some football field every year. The north and south had some dislike even on this small Island and they would settle it yearly on this football field :smiley:

2 Likes

In my region the sports feuds are around ice hockey mostly, for football we usually follow the Italian league (Iā€™m a supporter of Atalanta of Bergamo). We just won the Europa League! :trophy:

Yea hockey is main sports here aswell, he also told to lost his teeths as goalie in whatever era they played hockey in just beanie caps when I asked why he got artificial teeth. Apparently hockey was played in plain clothes only. I wouldnt want to go between the puck and goal in plain clothes that doesnt sound like good idea at all. :smiley:

1 Like

Neat trick to make friends :joy:

1 Like

Fortunately not, most of the times itā€™s just memes, we mostly get along well (aside for football as Starney said, luckily for me Iā€™m not into it)

2 Likes

I feel the same about 08:or (Stockholmare) so I get it.

1 Like

I just remembered a fun story that my grandma told me, she was from Biel/Bienne, a bilingual city in western Switzerland (German/French). As kids they would literally do fights and ambushes against the other ā€œsideā€ (she spoke German).

And this was in the 1920s-early 1930s lol. No idea if itā€™s like this today.

2 Likes

Burger time