šŸŽ­ GD Chat Room (Part 2)

As a Romance brother, so to say, I didnā€™t grasp a single word XD

2 Likes

TWW Season 1 will be a bit further away than that.

1 Like

Thatā€™s curious. Iā€™ve always thought Spanish and Italian are very similar (I mean itā€™s not me, most of the people here think this way, to the point where we have a popular joke about adding a ā€œsā€ at the end of Italian words and there you have it, youā€™ve learnt Spanish!). The same thing doesnā€™t apply to French though, even if itā€™s derived from Latin too

Is it wednesday yet?!

Nor for Italian, latin not spoken there so much anymore either. Salve! :smiley:

1 Like

I did two years of Latin in middle school but it was only to skip an hour of sports (I hated it) and the class was mostly chaos and silly stuff (that poor teacher, I feel bad for her even almost 30 years later lol). :eyes: :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

Also yes I can understand a lot of things in Latin but not everything (I barely remember anything I learned in school thoughā€¦maybe ā€œrosa rosae?ā€ lmao).

Salve is still used a lot to greet people in a mid-formal way. I often use it when I speak on the phone with people for work. ā€œGrazie, buona giornata, salveā€.

1 Like

Now I see legionnaire in roman century era armor :smiley:

1 Like

Hah Iā€™ve seen this video already! Well heā€™s speaking Latin to Roman ā€œitaliani mediā€, they donā€™t strike me as particularly cultured individuals to say it politely. In truth, I believe that from millennials onwards they would understand atleast vaguely what heā€™s saying (I, as well as all the friends I know, would understand, some of them even better as many study Latin in high school).

I mean come on, ā€œrotundum aedificiumā€ is basically the same thing as ā€œedificio rotondoā€ (round building), it doesnā€™t take a scientist to understand what heā€™s trying to say :joy: then again, many romans (as well as many Italians) donā€™t even know the real name of the Colosseo is Anfiteatro Flavio, and the LIVE in the city. Itā€™s no surprise they donā€™t connect the dots between rotundum and rotondo

We talked of this dude going around different countries speaking latin last year, I think only the priests understood him in vatican which was to be suspected :dracthyr_hehe:

1 Like

I mean itā€™s not impossible, our current Italian shares MANY similarities to Latinā€¦ you may not get the exact meaning, but I think it should be totally possible to communicate among Italian and Latin (and I personally add Spanish too!) with anyone talking in their language but understanding each other

Im always confused when I hear Estonian when it sound same than Finnish and use same words but with different meanings :dracthyr_hehe:

Finnish and Estonian both belong to the Uralic family of languages.

2 Likes

Interesting fact abou Fanta flavoured Mentos.

It takes 19 to make a perfect hexagon.

I had the misfortune of learning Latin at school. It was the only O-level I came close to failing (the teacher was appallingly bad). On the other hand, I also learnt French and German (French still fairly fluent, German a bit rusty but I could get by) plus Iā€™m now learning Dutch.
Basically I like languages. I think some people are born to be linguists, others not.

1 Like

The joke in France is the following: ā€œIf one wants to speak Spanish, they only have to finish words with ā€˜oā€™ and replace with ā€˜aā€™ if they want to speak Italianā€

Latin uses western alphabets. Asian characters are a different beast

1 Like

9/10: The War Within Season 1 Begins with Heroic Raids, Raid Finder Wing 1, Mythic 0 Dungeons, Heroic Seasonal dungeons, a new World Boss, and PvP Season 1

Niceee 6 weeks 6 days of unrated solo shuffle playing ahead ohoy :dracthyr_lulmao:

I did latin. My mum loves it but apparently they donā€™t teach it properly any more. I simply couldnā€™t understand the grammar and tenses, got a C somehow. I got a B in German, whose grammar I also didnā€™t understand.

I actually learn languages a lot better now I am older and use duolingo. Did some Swedish and Spanish and had no grammar issues.

2 Likes

Iā€™m using Duolingo for Dutch. Itā€™s frustrating sometimes as it tends not to explain things and expects you to pick them up ā€¦ but itā€™s a long time since I was at school and my memoryā€™s crap so I do struggle a bit to remember new words and some of the grammar.

2 Likes

I canā€™t remember any if I donā€™t do it everyday and I stopped a while ago as the Spain trip is on hold indefinitely. I do have to look up stuff on the net as well but it is still a lot better than the awful teaching I had at school. And that was a private grammar school! They were brilliant in most other topics.

1 Like

is it free?

Duolingo? Yes.