šŸŗ Overwolf Addon Management Changeover - *NOW* 2nd December

If you use Twitch for your addons the service will be taken over by Overwolf later this month. Originally this was due to happen on the 27th but itā€™s now going to start on the 20th.

Wowhead have also been doing some articles about alternatives to Overwolf.

*edit - Date has been updated to 2nd December

Alternatives to Overwolf Curseforge

https://ogri-la.github.io/wow-addon-managers/

6 Likes

I wonder how many suckers Overwolf catches before everyone realizes its just a marketingscam.

17 Likes

Overwolf is technically malware. Stay within flamethrower distance away from it.

12 Likes

Wowup is the new one Iā€™m using, simple and clean.

26 Likes

Iā€™ve gone with WowUp

I was very pleased to uninstall twitch which is pretty bloated for my needs. I just want to update and be able to find new addons.

There are other alternatives so do look through:-

https://ogri-la.github.io/wow-addon-managers/

10 Likes

sorry for popping this post back up. a few days ago I thought IĀ“ll give overwolf a shot since my virus thing says there is nothing wrong with it (but it did say there was something wrong with wowup and blocked it from downloading into the computer)

so after few days while having overwolf, iĀ“ve been getting random crashes and lags in game and which got worst over time. deleted overwolf to see what happens and not a single crash.

itĀ“s spooky, but it would be would be so much better if battlenet could sort something out since i feel more safer with blizzaed then some random third site that has nothing to do with the game or the blizzard company.

4 Likes

As youā€™ve tried it, does it stay running in the background, we canā€™t just close it?

twitch is still working for me

I am still using twitch atm. I had a bad experience with WoWup but others seem to have no problems.

i had it closed. only used it to get addons or update.

from what Iā€™ve read on other platforms, they do some nerdy stuff to help the ad thingy for their site which then might cause a bug to us.

Iā€™m no expert in the true cause, i just read that its a bad place right now. it looks nice n stuff though.

Iā€™m using WoWup but I only open to update mods and then close it again, absolutely no issues.

Still absolutely refusing to install Overwolf.

1 Like

overwolf does look like it has potential, it just needs to fix all the things that people are complaining about and make it something for all gamers to use. we only need an addon management, for us WoW players anyway.

edit: about the laptop crashing while gaming n stuff, i found a few people that had the similar problem until they deleted overwolf: https://www.reddit.com/r/Overwolf/comments/b3b4iq/overwolf_causes_games_to_crash/

1 Like

Sometimes I do have to do a ā€˜re-scan folderā€™ thing with WoWup. No idea why but sometimes it doesnā€™t show all my addons. Have only happened a few times though, and apart from that I find it works just fine.

The reddit link you provided are from a year ago though.

Is just manually downloading addons from curseforge safe? Because some addons in WoWinterface are not updated, while they are at curseforge.

still an issue though, at least for me until i deleted it.

4 months ago someone else had random popups while gaming which then got fixed: https://www.reddit.com/r/Overwolf/comments/hckxw6/browser_popup_ads/?sort=top

Ouch that is horrible. Interestingly enough that original post was removed by moderators of r/overwolf :laughing:

Well, Iā€™ve said it before and it still stands. I will never install Overwolf on my computer.

1 Like

I spit on Overwolf!

/spit
petooi!

4 Likes

I thought you tried overwolf sorry

I had problems removing WoWup from my pc and had to resort to CCleaner to get rid. So Iā€™m not willing to use that again myself. Others arenā€™t reporting any problems though.

It was Overwolf I was curious about, if it can be closed after updating addons. I donā€™t want anything that just minimises itself and runs in the background. They have an alpha client out, but Iā€™ve not tried it.

1 Like

I havenā€™t tried it yet, do you mind explaining what issues you had?

NVM, saw you answered that

1 Like