šŸŗ Overwolf Addon Management Changeover - *NOW* 2nd December

Iā€™m still using Wowup. Seems to be working ok for me.

2 Likes

10 days have passed and my laptop has not crashed at random since ve deleted Overwolf.

I believe itĀ“s not long now until twitch disbands the addon manager which leads to 3 options:

Risk having computer problems with Overwolf.

Trusting Wowup even though the computer blocks it and says its a bad idea (at least I get that message)

and manually updating it from sites, which I donĀ“t think many people can manage without looking up a guide. but even then, people might still mess up and poop their files.

maybe Bliz will make their own once twitch gives up the manager and tons of people will be on the forums crying. crying on the forums useally work.

Honestly not decided yetā€¦ I have an add on uploaded to twitch for wow classic and dunno if I will bother moving it elsewhere yet

I think all WoW related addons will be gone.

Seems the Overwolf beta app is out now

oh, i wonder if the crashes were a bug then. if so then maybe might try again once its fully live and bug free.

wowhead did write about addon manager called ajour
been using that ever since
no issues

p.s already got one of those thank you

There is a whole selection of alternatives:-

https://ogri-la.github.io/wow-addon-managers/

Iā€™ve been using WoWup for quite a while now. At on point there was an issue with not all addons showing up if I didnā€™t rescan my folders a few times, but that seems to have been a bug and have been fixed.
Now it works great. A clean lightweight app.

1 Like

I use WowUp and still some Twitch. Some addons arenā€™t picked up by both updaters for some reason.
I only launch wowup, re-scan and check updates then close it again (exit from the systray). Havenā€™t had any problems that are updater-related.

I use CurseBreaker as my husband is a programmer and loves the command-line interface. As a non-programmer myself, itā€™s super-simple to use and update. No problems using it at all (so far!). I donā€™t use too many add-ons so it suits my needs - Iā€™d definitely recommend it to those looking for an add-on manager.

2 Likes

I went back to Twitch, at some point I will have to switch to something.

Feels like the world is soon to end doesnĀ“t it? the moment were you start to wonder what to do with yourself.

Iā€™m not feeling full of doom, Iā€™ve got coffee :slight_smile: :coffee:

1 Like

Ummā€¦ i still use twitch.
I open it, go to the wow section ā€¦ mods and whatnot and click Update, Update, Update.
I wait a few seconds.
And then i close twitch.

Should i be worried about something?

Overwolf hasnā€™t officially taken over yet, their app went from Alpha into Beta, so we will be able to use it for some time to come.

But when it doesā€¦ will i be requested a fee or something?

There will be no fees, it will just stop working and youā€™ll have to switch to something else.

Overwolf is garbage.

You cannot use the addon manager without also installing the overwolf client. This client and overwolf in general has been known to be invasive, bloatware, taking up much GPU use, adds marketing overlays appearing in game on loading screens etc (noted as been disabled in the beta build) along with a quite frankly horrendous amount of personal data/pc data being collected that.

Wouldnā€™t trust it on my pc at all.

4 Likes

I seeā€¦ thanks for the info.