šŸŗ Overwolf Addon Management Changeover - *NOW* 2nd December

Ah, well, if thatā€™s the case I will give it a go.

If you are going to try it I highly recommend going through the Overwolf App settings first, in particular all the privacy settings and make sure it wont load on start up, closes when you close the programme etc. I cancelled all feedback and ability to give me overlays. Then do the same with the Curseforge app itself.

On a daily basis I open just the Curseforge app and update any addons as necessary, then I close it again (although I donā€™t see Overwolf, my settings close both on exit). It does not run in the background itā€™s closed. At present it is in beta so you donā€™t actually see any ads yet, there is a box for it.

I actually wanted to try it to see if all the horror stories were true.

2 Likes

I just hope that overtime Overwolf wouldnā€™t go and bloat the app with unwanted stuff and that they would be as transparent and fair to the addon authors community because some of these devs really deserve it and really need it so I hope that they could finally have fun and make enough money on the way.

You heard wrong in that case.

1 Like

It only opens for me when i want it to open. There are settings from stopping it to start when you put your computer on just like many other programs do.

2 Likes

Exactly what i see as well. no ads keep popping eather. I think people are making way too big deal about this and scaring people

1 Like

I think Overwolf is partly itā€™s own worst enemy, it has an incredibly bad reputation. They have listened to a lot of the feedback from those testing the app. Personally I have no issue with it. Equally people have no issue using the alternatives.

2 Likes

Everyone should just use what they feel comfortable with, but i dont like people spreading hysteria about something. I do get that their reputation might have brought this up on themselfs, but what im seeing the curseaddon program works as it should. You dont even have to go into the overwolf one at all. Sure it will open but just close it after youā€™ve done your addons :smiley:

3 Likes

While I refuse to use Overwolf out of principle at this point, I do think they are willing to listen to user feedback. They have reached out to SoulSoBreezy, who is doing a lot of objective comparisons between addon managers. Heā€™s occasionally on the WowUp Discord as well to discuss this and brings out news/information on these things on his channel, I can highly recommend watching his videos.

Iā€™m currently using WowUp because I enjoy contributing and knowing how the software I use, works internally. Iā€™m also of strong opinion that Addons are community made, and as long as Blizzard doesnā€™t take responsibility, is a community owned project. This means that I disagree with companies monetizing addons or the distribution of addons.

3 Likes

I will have a look at wowup I have been using overwolf and curseforge and I donā€™t like that overwolf has to be installed too. Itā€™s just bloatware crap.

Thanks for the heads up. Uninstalling right now.

I also use wow up, its been great. Easy, doesnā€™t cause me an issue (yet). Heard and spoken to friends who tried OW and it caused them so many problems. But at the end of the day it is what people are comfortable with :slight_smile:

Agreed! Ironically a company like Overwolf that needs to generate money gets to round up all the addon developers who make their stuff for free. :thinking:

Itā€™s up to the addon developers. If they use github instead of curseforge, all the free addon managers would work without problems. On the flip side, Overwolf provides them with additional income, so itā€™s normal to choose curseforge.

Iā€™m fairly neutral towards Overwolf or the alternatives but do people imagine that hosting all those add-ons doesnā€™t incur costs. That it is wholly reasonable to cover that cost via advertising and even be able to support addon writers. A small portion of add-on users support authors via subscriptions or patreon. This need to villify OW for daring to cover the costs with ads and support authors seems rather disingenuous.

Twitch was also meant to support the authors. I believe in practice it did not pay up much if anything.

Most wow sites run advertising to support their running costs as well as offering ad free subscriptions. Why is it only wrong for OW.

I know hosting costs money, i have my own domain for which iā€™m paying myself.

Thereā€™s also ppl donating for hosting costs.

You are donating to curseforge or overwolf to host the entire add-on database?

I doubt that.

Companies need to learn this fast. If you act scummy at any point people remember and avoid you. I have an Ipad that has perfectly decent specs to do simple things, However no apps work on it at all due to not being able to update to the latest IOS update.

I would understand if I wanted to play a game that has higher specs than my current ipad but simple tasks like Netflix and youtube? I know the app devs can produce updates for my older ipad and itā€™s up to them but Iā€™m 99.99% sure my ipad could install the latest IOS update fine, they just want to lock me out so I buy another Ipad.

Anyway the point is, I feel they treated me wrong and where scummy with the way they do it, It puts me off from using them again. I think this is the case with Overwolf with many people.

that escalated quickly, thatā€™s not what i mean and what i meant but w/e

This is just the kind of thing that Iā€™d be expecting from OW. Hauling all the addon developers in with big promises, but in the end they keep most of the cash for themselves.