šŸŗ Overwolf Addon Management Changeover - *NOW* 2nd December

Ajour has been mentioned before. Seems to work just fine.

2 Likes

Oh yes, itĀ“s me again! last night I learned that league of legends can have addons too and there is this one addon that is noob-friendly for people like me /cheer. but those addons are on overwolfā€¦ so I think today Iā€™m gonna give it another shot and if my laptop crashes on this day out of all days. iĀ“ll let you know.

Still no issues with overwolf. Havent gotten a single ad. Taking addons and updating them is easy and fast. I keep it closed when i dont need it.

1 Like

Nothing wrong with that. Celine Dion was good a few years ago, my guilty secret is the fact I saw her in concert in 1999 and Iā€™m on the official DVD of it lol

1 Like

the only ads i see so far are apps like this: https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/634750370261762048/775295316592558100/unknown.png

ad wise, they would only be on the main overwolf page and not in-game as a popup, as many are worried about. twitch had ads but i thought that was because it was more than just an addon manager.

1 Like

I dont even see those adds :smiley: maybe cause i blocked everything i could.

1 Like

i also blocked it all. just that one app for LoL

1 Like

This is even more awesome because it was written in Rust. :grin:

Still WowUp for me though.

why exactly do everyone hate Overwolf ? isnt it the same as twitch with different name ? or is it true that they install unwanted stuff on your machine without people awareness ?

Itā€™s probably a good app but I prefer addons to run completely by an open community and the reason I support WowUp and the like, not to mention supporting multiple sources.

I heard Overwolf will block other apps accessibility to addons on December, will WowUp be affected by this ?

Maybe, Iā€™m not sure whatā€™s Overwolf plan is but I donā€™t care and I advocate everyone to host their addons on GitHub/GitLab or any other platform out of curse (most authors already use some sort of VCS anyway).

WowUp can still use other sources so as long as authors push updates to GitHub things should just work.

When you restart you pc overwolf will be running if you not tell it not to start with pc. Overwolf is mallware and will alwas be it.

This doesnā€™t make it a malware pleaseā€¦ I get it people dislike it (me including for reasons above) but itā€™s not a harmful program and they are trying to do something good so at least appreciate that, why would you go and spread misinformation?

1 Like

Indeed, there are several alternatives available

https://ogri-la.github.io/wow-addon-managers/

1 Like

Nearly everything will run on start up if you do not change settings. That does not make it malicious. The Bnet launcher does the same, if you let it, as does Steam, Discord, or EA/Origin etc.

As I have explained, as you should with anything new you install on your pc, you need to go through the settings to opt out of everything you do not want.

3 Likes

One of the reasons some addon creators are keen to try the Curseforge method is because they will receive some money from the advertising revenue that Overwolf makes.

The author of DBM hit the news back in 2018 when he was in a position where he could no longer continue, the community rallied around him:-

This is one thing I like about it, I donā€™t mind doing something that pays people whoā€™s work that I use everyday. As long as itā€™s safe and doesnā€™t harm my pc, I would rather do something that gets the addon maker paid.

Good example of this is DBM maker not being able to afford a new pc, This is kind of bad when weā€™re all using it everytime we go into the raid (most of us, I know about bigwigs)

2 Likes

Yup, I know, been writing addons to WoW since vanilla days and software since for as long as I can remember and I know why some authors need the funds, Iā€™ve been ditching addons because maintenance was too painful, after all, itā€™s a codebase like any other and addons like DBM tend to be pretty big naturally.

The reason I advocate for an open community and still want people to support authors through other means is because from my experience they get less than they deserve and Iā€™m not sure what model Overwolf would use but Iā€™m pretty sure it wouldnā€™t be meaningful enough, I hope Iā€™m wrong.

1 Like