đŸș Overwolf Addon Management Changeover - *NOW* 2nd December

True.
But I’m okay with no dps meters

I know I’m late to reply but thanks for the info, overwolf is so flipping bloated so is twitch. Its nice to find a piece of software that just does exactly what it says in the tin.

Do you still run overwolf? If so; does it work properly, and is there any issues to close the program? :slight_smile:

On a daily basis I just open the Curseforge App (it will run Overwolf in the background while doing this) and when I close the App it closes everything. As it only takes a few minutes each morning to update my addons I don’t have any issues with the addon manager.

1 Like

Just hijacking the thread late.

OW had this “basically malware” reputation a few months ago, did they change anything in regards to the security issues initially raised ?

No, still lots of obscure things in the background and a lot of traffic

I have no issues with overwolf. Been using it for idk 3 weeks or a month. It does whats its supposed to do then i close it and thats it. No malware no viruses no ads.

I actually went to try the addon because the claims were getting wilder and wilder and I had problems with one of the replacements.

They don’t share any of your data if you opt out, it doesn’t run in the background after you close it (providing you customise your settings), you can turn off things like starting on start up etc.

1 Like

Thanks ! Think I can live with that as I basically open it twice a year.

1 Like

tomorrow (30th nov) is when twitch go bye bye.

There more alternatives then overwolf like ajour as example https://www.getajour.com/

I tried both Ajour and WowUp. I went for WowUp in the end as it just seemed a better and more simplified interface. Updates are lightning fast compared with Twitch. I had an initial issue with WowUp seeming to clash with Twitch but a reinstall resolved that. You do get the whole warning thing with WowUp as it’s not a Microsoft registered app but just click options on the warning and select run anyway. They’ve explained that registration required a fee and my malware scanner was fine with it.

2nd December

Can’t you avoid all this headache if you just manually install your addons?

The only annoyance I could think of is having to update them all the time but it’s the least invasive option.

It would be a huge headache for me to have to manually update that many addons.

Each to their own. I’m happy to allow an addon manager to do it for me that is very easy and quick to use.

I’d rather use free alternatives like wowup then the bloated adware that is overwolf products.

5 Likes

No one should install malwarewolf, this program i saw once on someones PC and had all sorts of trouble, after removing that malware program and cleaning up the machine it ran normally like it used to.

Avoid it like the black plague.

1 Like

As it would for me, however I wouldn’t install anything from that company even if they blocked every other alternative, they are a plague. There is a reason why they bought the rights to this and it is a reasonable bet what they end up doing will be legally ‘grey’ at best.

I have been using Overwolf’s version of Curseforge for a while now and have zero of the issues that people listed.

So I’m happy to use it. I literally open it once a day for less than five mins. Has zero impact on my pc.

As I keep saying there are alternatives.

https://ogri-la.github.io/wow-addon-managers/

For now
they will do something shady
 it is almost certain, they are a complete scumbag company that have no regard for personal data rights. But enjoy using it.

1 Like