šŸŗ Overwolf Addon Management Changeover - *NOW* 2nd December

I donā€™t personally run any addon manager in the background, I open update and close it.

Iā€™ve not actually tried Overwolf but I presume it can be closed.

I am aware of all the horror stories of Overwolf and performance.

to use addon manager you have to also open the overwolf client, so to update your addons you have to deal with the overwolf bloat. From what iā€™ve heard overwolf still runs in the background unless you disable its process in task manager

i did that when i had overwolf, updated then closed. but then i get random crashes until i uninstalled the app. its weird i know

Apps that do that are a big NO NO for me.

And thats the whole issue.

If the addon manager was a stand alone app, like Wowup, it would b fine. But you NEED the overwolf client to run it and the overwolf client is as sketchy as it gets.

4 Likes

Some have switched to alternatives

https://ogri-la.github.io/wow-addon-managers/

We donā€™t know if they will continue to work or whether Overwolf will go after them to shut them down. They suffered a backlash with their first approach which was a tad aggressive. Theyā€™ve since said they are not looking to close other apps down. So time will tell.

Wowhead highlighted a few of the alternatives. I can dig out the articles if you want.

Wowup received a ā€˜cease and desistā€™ order according to the person who makes it (findable on reddit, i cant post). Curseforge wow addons cannot be charged for. So Overwolf cannot limit access to them at all (goes against Blizzard TOS and API TOS).

Its all abit sketchy.

Update manually.
Problem solved.
Dont be lazy.

1 Like

That is what created the backlash and Overwolf changed itā€™s tune.

Changed its tune for now. Have no faith in them keeping it.

1 Like

Gnomesā€¦

Thatā€™s fine if you donā€™t use many addons, in the old days we didnā€™t really update very often, now I have at least 2-3 in my list per day that update.

Twitch seems happy with their latest news:

" Weā€™re pleased to announce a new home for CurseForge!

The CurseForge mod manager is transitioning out of the Twitch client, and moving to a new dedicated desktop app. Please click (FaefuĀ“s censoring links omg) to visit Overwolfā€™s site, where you can download the desktop app and learn more about Overwolf and future plans for CurseForgeā€¦

On December 2nd the ā€œModsā€ tab in the Twitch client will no longer be supported."

1 Like

I logged on Twitch to find that message of doom just now :cry:

1 Like

They are like ā€œWe are so happy to announceā€¦ā€ like dude, the news was bad news

Echo just went into partnership with Curseforge as well so their twitter seems to be promoting the Overwolf app too.

I might have to try it to see if itā€™s as bad as people say.

Yush, I would love a green such as yourself to help the community on this issue.

Found an article which was done yesterday interviewing the CEO of Overwolf.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/hnewman/2020/11/06/overwolf-changes-privacy-features-and-ads-in-curseforge-app-for-minecraft-and-wow/?sh=48c0ce9c71bf

Just FYI you can do a link by pasting in the url, highlighting it and then using the </> button. It will look like this

www.demonstration.com

1 Like

omg, I love you right now!

1 Like