WoW Classic PTR Stress Test -- 18 June

Please join us on the WoW Classic PTR at 11:59 p.m. CEST on Thursday, 18 June for a stress test. In order to prepare for the AQ opening event, we need to test several aspects of how the game service deals with very high capacities.

Test Details

First and foremost, we’d like to see a full realm with a queue of testers waiting to get onto the realm. This will allow us to consider tweaks to the total realm capacity. We’ll open the realm about an hour before the test so that everyone can copy over a character.

Secondly, we’re going to test our technology for managing the number of players in Silithus. Make sure you’ve got a level 60 character (the PTR copy function will be available, as will template characters with rare quality Dungeon gear), and attempt to join your fellow testers in Silithus. Lower-level characters can also log into the realm, but they won’t be allowed into Silithus.

If you don’t make it into Silithus, please keep trying to enter the zone. We’re going to start with a typical zone capacity, and then we’re going to increase the number of player-characters that are allowed in the zone.

What to Expect

For this event, we’re optimizing aspects of the game service that you will potentially see and feel. In order to maximize the number of players in Silithus, we have to make some sacrifices to things like buff and debuff updates, player movement, general server-to-client communication, and spells.

We’ll begin testing the AQ opening event by initiating it automatically. Testers won’t have to do anything to make the event happen. This will go on for one hour.

Some of the performance issues that we’re looking for will result from players running the game on different PC hardware that have different capacities. Your experience and the experience of another player with a much more powerful PC will vary.

There will be lag. Despite the years of big improvements that have been made to hardware, software, and data throughput, we must accept that packing more and more players together in a small space causes an exponential (not linear) load on the game service.

And of course, the game can port players out of the zone entirely, similar to how players were ported out of Silithus in original World of Warcraft. Just like we did in 2006, we consider that preferable to a crash.

Layering

Today, layering is enabled for some very popular realms, and we’ve engineered the AQ opening event to operate as expected on a realm with multiple layers. Nonetheless, our goal with these Silithus optimization efforts is to make the event run the best it can without adding layers to realms, and we do not plan to add more layers to any realms for the event.

Please Join Us!

We look forward to seeing you in Silithus on the WoW Classic PTR at 11:59 p.m. CEST on Thursday, 18 June!

6 Likes

ban bots please ty

17 Likes

can u look into Classic WoW Batching twice as slow as 2006

oh and hazzikostas delenda est

3 Likes

It will crash again and you will waste our evening like launch day

1 Like

And there goes the derail of the thread, after like an hour lol. Blizzard asking for some feedback/participation and ppl just ‘jump’ on them re other topics.

FYI, would like to help the PTR. Appreciated re blue post.

2 Likes

what feedback did they ask for in this thread?

their incompetence in the rest of the game is constantly askng for feedback, which im providing

Tbh i shouldn’t reply, but you do get one. GIVE THEM a break! Tbh dude, clever ppl are working on this (even though most resources are spent on Shadowlands atm).

Just understand a brief call out.

I’d love to give you feedback on your broken game, need a working character copy feature first though. Thanks boss.

why do you need us? just use some bots for the testing

10 Likes

Awesome see you there !

Will boats set sails to Stonetalons again?

1 Like

We have been providing valuable feedback for 10 months. I will repeat it.

The way the servers are currently set up, are woefully inadequate in handling large scale player versus player interaction. Why this is the case, and what could potentially be done to resolve the situation is unknown to me and the community at large. We can only speculate. But what we do know, is that private servers running on inexpensive hardware (in the context of a company valued at 56 billion USD as of writing), were much better at dealing with large scale pvp.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=95YXxO2cZ8s

I do not understand what kind of Feedback Blizzard is even looking for at this point. We already know the answer. The servers are going to A) Crash or B) Lag to the point where no one can play not unlike ZG launch. Except now, there are dosens of hard hitting mobs trying to do their thing as well.

5 Likes

so we can confirm that locked servers will remain locked and layered until after AQ, dont worry then because it will be 1 person less so you can run smooth the event

Nice audio there :wink:

Stress is bad for ur health and makes u commit bad moves so i PwN u in pvp

1 Like

Good idea, but if you want to get as many as possible to enter, maybe you shouldn’t start the event midnight on a weekday.

1 Like

Woah, so much complaints here…

They won’t answer you about bots. Don’t use this thread to spam some off topic stuff.

I’ll try to be here for the stress test so i won’t complain about “OMG SO MUCH LAG WTF IS BLIZZARD DOING ???” afterward.

Let’s help them (and us) to get a proper experience instead of just Q.Q and doing nothing.

Lol that comment made my day. Kekw.

We just offered alternative ways to test, cos like probably many EU testers gonna woke UP in the MIDDLE of the NIGHT, during WEEKDAY…

@Alfredsson: I am well aware it is not the case everywhere, but in some places Friday is actually a day off due to Midsummer Festival or something similar. So late Thursday is not an entirely bad idea… Especially since many people I know will NOT be online on Friday and/or Saturday evening.

Looool forgot that it’s midsommar on Friday, brb getting sill and snaps.