GM banned a world buff dispeller for 6 months because of his streamer getting dispelled

https://www.reddit.com/r/classicwow/comments/hsqdk2/streamer_gets_a_priest_dispeller_banned_6_months/
Timestamp: 03h19m00s

So basically what happened is that the streamer got his tank character summoned to BWL, and gets immediatly dispelled after arriving. Seconds after he asks a GM who is a VIP in his channel if he wants to ban the dispeller for streamsniping, and then contradicts himself by saying that the dispeller spends a majority of his week dispelling. Viewers in his chat are even questioning the decision about the ban going off.

Now personally, I think spending your time dispelling all day is kind of stupid but it’s your gameplay and nothing in the rules forbids you from using your class abilities against the other faction. If blizzard didn’t want it to happen then they would have added some kind of dispell protection against world buffs.

Regardless of the offense, this is not how a GM should be handling this situation. If blizzard doesn’t reverse the ban and properly punish the offenders then they will normalize this favoritism, pointing fingers to ban players at their will.

edit grammar

51 Likes

Well, normally I’d agree. But in the case of buff dispellers all I can wonder is that 6 months isn’t long enough.

14 Likes

Dispelling world buffs is not griefing. He can still do the raid without them they are not important at all.

By that logic dispelling anything in the world is griefing.

37 Likes

=OOO i wont purge anymore all the ally i see

Gonna be honest: This GM needs to no longer be a GM. This is nothing but streamer privilege and abuse of power by a GM who is a fanboy of said streamer.

Ridiculous to think that the guy literally said “Hey [GM], wanna ban a guy?” and said GM was actually in his chat and said “yeah sure”.
If this is okay then I don’t know what to say.

68 Likes

Whats wrong with dispelling buffs and why should it trigger a ban?
Do you consider it griefing? What if I kill the person with the buff is that griefing aswell?

24 Likes

The level 45 priests sitting in Booty bay and getting killed over and over by bruisers just to get some dispells off? Yes, the only reason to do it is for “griefing”. They enjoy it only because it pisses ppl off.

2 Likes

If the world buff dispelling is something that consider illegal to do then just make the wolrd buffs cant be dispelled.But this you describing seems personally action taken so yea its not ethical correct.

7 Likes

But why do you consider it griefing? People can go get new buffs and you can clear the raid without world buffs if you don’t know how to protect them.

1 Like

Obviousely using your class abilities on members of the opposite faction on a PvP server is grieffing if they don’t want you to do it.

14 Likes

Yeah for some reason thats the logic people use. I think they should just remove world buffs from the game if its that big of an issue. Would make classic better overall anyways.

4 Likes

I literally wrote why I consider it griefing. It’s done only to piss ppl off. Yeah I wouldn’t mind them removing world buffs.

Well its an open world with pvp and dispelling someones world buffs is not griefing its pvp. Even if his intention is to remove his world buffs, its still just pvp. Doesn’t remove his ability to play the game at all.

7 Likes

Dispelling World Buffs is not griefing, it is part of World PvP. Sure, dispelling someone just because ‘‘dispell LULZ’’ makes you an A-hole in the eyes of those getting dispelled, but hey
 It isn’t against ToS, it isn’t illegal to do, if that is your playstyle and if that is what you enjoy doing in WoW then more power to you, it isn’t any different from people killing low lvl players in open world, and you don’t see people getting banned for that, nor should they ever fear getting a potential ban for that on a PVP server.

If a GM actually did ban someone for dispelling world buffs, that ban should be pulled back immediately, and those in charge at Blizzard over this GM should take some serious look into this case and take the according actions.

13 Likes

yeah lets protect that one mage that bottles up the info he reads off discord servers and basically sells it to the masses on socials so we have a billion mages selling boosts and fudging the economy up proper good.

Honestly cant stand people like him.

And they said private servers were corrupt and unprofessional xD

15 Likes

I don’t mind it when there’s actual fighting involved.

Thats the scariest part. Not only did they host better servers but they also had better gms working for free.

11 Likes

So if he casts a shadowword pain first its ok?

3 Likes

Do you think that would automatically make it a fight?