5-second freezes since 8.1.5

Every so often (random, but seems to average once per hour), I get a 5-or-so-second freeze. There’s no lua error logged or anything, and it’s not lag (because the whole game locks up), so I checked the Windows Event Viewer, and there’s a torrent of warnings in there since patch day. They all have ID 4101, correspond exactly to the freezing times, and the description reads: »Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered.«

Several of my friends are experiencing the same problem, and I’ve asked them to look in the Event Viewer for me, and it’s the exact same thing for them as for me.

Preliminary testing suggests that switching to DirectX 11 makes the problem go away, maybe, but that also butchers performance in general, so it’s not a viable solution in any case. All the research I’ve done points to the problem being related to lack of power, or some other hardware issue, but it seems unlikely to be a hardware issue when it popped up right after the patch, and when several of my friends are experiencing the same problem (also since the patch), and it only happens with WoW.

30 Likes

I have been experiencing the same ever since 8.1.5 atleast 2-3 times per day or so. Never had this before and all my drivers are up to date etc.

3 Likes

I’ve been getting the same annoying lagspikes and even worse just after I logged in when the 8.1.5 was released, my game kept getting lagspikes over and over again without reason, while it never happened before this patch… since then the game is really annoying to play and it feels really buggy and poorly made, I mean what is this some non-official content that was made in rush so it ended up causing trouble to a lot of people? Come on, fix it already… I’m getting these annoying lags almost everywhere, game even crashing on me when I use my Dala HS, it freezes almost completely and as long as I try to move I’m getting wow error… Hello?

2 Likes

Blizzard does not care anymore,they only want your money and money alone,you having fun is no longer their priority,most likely with will never get fixed like the god awful world delay…

4 Likes

I have a similar problem but it occurs more frequently to me. I have around 65 fps (got it locked on that) and all of a sudden the game stutters, drops down to 10-15 (sometimes 30) fps and then recovers. But like I said… It happens several times per hour in my case… But glad to hear it is not only occurring to me. I have a pretty brand new laptop with i5 8300h and 1050ti. Ran wow fine like 2 or 3 days ago. But now…

2 Likes

Same errors here. I failed a tol dagor 19 for a freeze and crush @ last boss. Got same issue random while farming or logging in. The problem goes away with directx11 legacy. A gm told my was my computer problem cause i have razer synapse and another software that can interfere with game…i didn’t change anything after patch and i never had a problem like this. Now i’m reading a lot of people with same error. Nice…

Same issue, never had any freeze, crash or memory problems before 8.1.5. Now all of the sudden I get the same freezes and sometimes a crash due to memory allocation failure. This makes 0 sense since my pc can run way heavier games on the memory department and didn’t crash once on those.

geting the same problem is there al ready a solution

Same here since patch.

1 Like

same here ,game is literally unplayable since 8.1.5

Same issue here, started to happen right after 8.1.5. The ge randomly freezes for a couple seconds then comes back, and a Display error appears in the event viewer at the very same times, “Display Driver nblddmkm stopped responding” event ID 4101. It happens very often during loading screens, if I enter an arena, Hearthstone back to Boralus, or take the portal to Stormwind. I noticed it because the loading freezes and I see the windows mouse loading then everything gets back to normal. I consider myself lucky when it happens in loading screen but it also happens while actually playing sometimes which often means death and defeat in ranked pvp or high end pve content. In addition to these freezes the game also crashes altogether sometimes although it is a bit more rare, happened to me once in open world, once in dalaran loading screen and three times after I pressed escape and then disconnect to log an alt. The crash would occur when I reached my char selection screen. The crashes are displayed as “due to memory blah blah” in the wow log.

Since it’s happening since 8.1.5 it looks like a blizzard issue, but to be sure I ran memory tests, disk check tests, uninstalled all graphic drivers and reinstalled them via nvidia’s website, to no avail. I haven’t tried the DirectX11 trick but if it comes with reduced performance it remains a problem.

Obviously 0 problems with wow and bfa before, and 0 problems with other games.

Any input from tech support would be much appreciated by everyone present here I’m sure.

2 Likes

I’ve only heard about this issue from some of my friends, but i didn’t experience it till this morning.

What i can add to this conversation is that it isn’t happening everywhere. Just in random places.

For example, i’m doing the class hall quests in Dalaran = no issues. I get back in Zuldazar… yeah. Takes me 20 min to kill an elite.

Any community managers, GM, Technicians or whatever care to comment on this? At least, something like we’re looking into this issue? Would be nice to confirm that this indeed has your attention, when there are several people complaining. I’ve had this issue myself shortly, for a day, but it didn’t proceed beyond that. These people have it in an unbearable timespan, so confirmation for starters would be nice Blizz! ^^

1 Like

Im also experiencing the same issues. Hope this gets fixed soon.

So not sure if i am having the same issue as you but… Are you getting a 5 second lagg spike OR 5 second game freeze not responding ?

I have same problem with game freeze and lagg.

Right now the input lag on the game is horrible, but its only started since this morning

Same probleme here.

I got those freezes aswell.
Not good in Arena as healer :frowning:

Same problem, got it for the first time in an m+ earlier. Only been outside in the world or in boralus before that.